8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i decelerate to complete stop i hit the clutch then around 20mph (while decelerating) i put it in to first with the clutch all the way down but it grinds if im at a lower speed then it goes in. is this normal? or i shouldnt be doing that?

also when i turn my steering wheel (in a parking lot style) i here clicks under the hood normal?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
you can rev match and downshift into 1st without it grinding, but like stated i dont recommend downshifting into 1st at all unless at a stop ... as for the steering clicking i dunno

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same question as the OP, I'm still learning manual at this point. Sometimes I'd put into 1st gear when coming down to around 5mph. If I try going into 2nd gear with this kind of speed. I'd get vibration from the drivetrain...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the same question as the OP, I'm still learning manual at this point. Sometimes I'd put into 1st gear when coming down to around 5mph. If I try going into 2nd gear with this kind of speed. I'd get vibration from the drivetrain...
I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. When my tranny is cold shifting into 1st from anything other than a standstill (I'm talking 1-10mph) seems more difficult than it should be. I can shift pretty easily into second, but then I have to ride the clutch until I pick up speed and get to 10mph (then the engine won't complain about low rpm's).

Is shifting into 1st while moving bad for the tranny or just difficult to do sometimes? If it's actually bad for the tranny, is it still worth shifting into 2nd even if that means riding the clutch until you get up to 10+mph?

·
Registered
851 Posts