8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
17,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I'm taking my car to Honda tomorrow afternoon since I know this is not a result of the turbo...

Trying to shift into first and second gear from any gear I have to push it into gear instead of sliding it in. Roughly the weight of pushing a 20 pound box along the ground.

I greased my shifter bushings... made no difference what so ever. I took my shift boot off and watched myself shift into first and second. It is not hitting anything nor is it coming close to hitting anything....

The rest of the gears work perfectly fine, quick and smooth shifts. Anyone got a slightest Idea so I can go to honda prepared?

·
Registered
17,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i got this same exact problem too!!! lmk how it goes, i gotta go to the dealer too but too busy
Do you have any mods? I have a short shifter but the feeling isn't coming from that. I will let you know and post it here. Definatly glad to see someone without a turbo has this problem!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I suggest taking the short shifter off at any rate before going to the dealer because they will try to blame it no matter what.
That's my suggestion as well too. Take off the short shifter (I'm asssuming it's the adapter type and not a Mugen QS) and have a go at shifting from 1st to 2nd. I have a shift adapter and I will confirm that it shortens the throw and adds mild resistance - but no where to what you're experiencing.

See if you're still experiencing the same resistance. If you are then my next suggestion would be to take off the bronze cable bushings (if you've installed them) and go back to the factory rubber bushings.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Have someone help you, open the hood and look on top of your transmission and look, then have somone shift 1st and 2nd and make sure there is nothing in the way on top the trans. I know this sounds funny, i dont know what it is called on top the trans but it is part of the shifter, this happen to me before and there was something binding up in that spot.

I hope this is your problem and not something major.

I tried my best.......:sadwavy:

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Are you still running the stock clutch? I doubt dealership will take apart center console and inspect for S.S. they can't blame it on that Mod unless you can obviously see it bumping against something. Clutch wear will cause plenty of issues getting into gear, especially 1-2. Either that or you need to face the fact that your syncro is going out just like a lot of other people's. GL, I havent been able to shift into second smoothly for the past 20k miles. Replacing the clutch soon so Im hoping that will resolve the issue

·
Registered
17,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty guys... Honda Tech asked me if the transmission was ever opened... I told them that I had the 3rd gear TSB done and the tech, not letting me finish, said he already knew the problem...

Two small washers that go on the shift linkage were not replaced and therefore caused the problem. It woudl take 2-3 hours to fix so I told him I would come back on Friday to fix.

At first he tried to say the turbo caused the issue in the shift assembly, until I told him people who are completely stock had the problem. Either way, it's going in tomorrow for the 26th day! 5 more days for lemon law FTW.

·
Registered
864 Posts
i feel the same, my 2nd gear is hard to get into sometimes, somtimes its not.

sometimes i can't get into 1st gear, like its hitting a wall when im stopped, i can only get into 1st gear if i slide it into 2nd then back into 1st.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Alrighty guys... Honda Tech asked me if the transmission was ever opened... I told them that I had the 3rd gear TSB done and the tech, not letting me finish, said he already knew the problem...

Two small washers that go on the shift linkage were not replaced and therefore caused the problem. It woudl take 2-3 hours to fix so I told him I would come back on Friday to fix.

At first he tried to say the turbo caused the issue in the shift assembly, until I told him people who are completely stock had the problem. Either way, it's going in tomorrow for the 26th day! 5 more days for lemon law FTW.
what? lemon law is over in 5 days? or begins

·
Registered
85 Posts

Glad you're getting this fixed, but how exactly does the lemon law come into play here? If I read correctly it would appear that the Honda techs messed up the 3rd gear TSB by failing to install the washers. Did they intentionally leave these washers off or clean forget?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Blame the technition for being in a hurry, I was going to tell you to check your clutch line and the shift linkage. Good call that you got that solved before anything major. Worst part, you could've got it towed if you can't shift in any of the starting gears (1,2) and 3rd gear you'll be burning out the clutch to start out with. :D

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
my problem is when i try to shift near or at redline into 2nd, 3rd, or 4th gear it feels harder to get into. like something blocking the gate

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.