8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok people,

I am sure many of you are aware of the 1995 GS-R from Japan (1997 in other markets) were powered by a highly tuned, hand finished variant GS-R engine of the Acura Integra. It was tuned at 197hp with 133.8 lb.ft at 7500 rpm.

This sounds very similar to our 2006 or 8th generation Civic Si. When compared, as it seems 10/11 years later, the Civic caught up to the GS-R engine or the 190hp type R engine. This topic is not a smack on the Si, nor how little the Si have in terms of tq and hp. I just hoped the Si would have more HP and make a bit more power than trying to have smiliar hp/tq range than the 11 year old Acura Integra =)
Take a look at the TSX, yes it is tuned more toward luxury than power. It still sells well and receive very high ratings. Given the current econ, more mpg > hp and works out for Acura this.

Yes, there are many cars out there that have much more HP within the same class. Yes, if a turbo was added to the Si, it would become more of a WRX.

·
Registered
303 Posts
maybe honda wanted the niche of cheapest 200ish hp 4banger.

probably what moved a good amount of their inventory.

...currently sitting through an econ lecture :dance:

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
they were rated 193 old sae ratings. They wouldn't stand up to new ratings. It would put them more around 180 odd horsepower.

look up integra type-r's. They regularly dyno 155-165 whp while we dyno 175+ very consistantly.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
There's no gsr that has 197hp????

I thought that was type r.
the 2008 type r has 243hp 160tq

but yeah nothing much change. but a b series type r with full bolt and tune dyno's not even 200whp

New type r with bolt on and tune go over 220whp. and the tq has change from 120 to 150 i think that's a lot.

I don't know why were always asking for honda to give us performance.
they make this cars for gas mileage. If you can find a fast car that goes 25-28mpg . Only reason why honda is fun because it has no power from stock.

when with a little mod we can make power.

People wants everything a fast reliable good gas mileage car.

You want a cheap fast car get some cobalt,dodge neon srt.
If you want gas mileage get a prius
If you want power and reliability but has 30+k to spend get 370z subaru or evo's

if you don't have money to pay for 22+k car.But want a quick reliable good gas mileage car.
just embrace you si and say thank you.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
GSRs had 170HP... and if I am not mistaken, the current BASE model Civic has 160... the Type R had the 190HP engine... and if you want to compare apples to apples... the current Si engine makes closer to 210HP by the OLD STANDARD used for the OLD Integra...

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
GSRs had 170HP... and if I am not mistaken, the current BASE model Civic has 160... the Type R had the 190HP engine... and if you want to compare apples to apples... the current Si engine makes closer to 210HP by the OLD STANDARD used for the OLD Integra...
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
There's no gsr that has 197hp????

I thought that was type r.
the 2008 type r has 243hp 160tq

but yeah nothing much change. but a b series type r with full bolt and tune dyno's not even 200whp
Not true. The FD2 is rated at 222HP/159 the Mugen RR is rated at 237HP/161

·
Registered
289 Posts
base model civic is 140 hp.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Ok people,

I am sure many of you are aware of the 1995 GS-R from Japan (1997 in other markets) were powered by a highly tuned, hand finished variant GS-R engine of the Acura Integra. It was tuned at 197hp with 133.8 lb.ft at 7500 rpm.

This sounds very similar to our 2006 or 8th generation Civic Si. When compared, as it seems 10/11 years later, the Civic caught up to the GS-R engine or the 190hp type R engine. This topic is not a smack on the Si, nor how little the Si have in terms of tq and hp. I just hoped the Si would have more HP and make a bit more power than trying to have smiliar hp/tq range than the 11 year old Acura Integra =)
Take a look at the TSX, yes it is tuned more toward luxury than power. It still sells well and receive very high ratings. Given the current econ, more mpg > hp and works out for Acura this.
Yes, there are many cars out there that have much more HP within the same class. Yes, if a turbo was added to the Si, it would become more of a WRX.
I don't remember the gs-r (B18C1) being 197hp... I could be wrong but the gs-r usdm was rated at 170 and the jdm one was at 180 i believe... The usdm type-r motor (B18C5) was rated at 195hp...

·
Premium Member
14,538 Posts
I don't remember the gs-r (B18C1) being 197hp... I could be wrong but the gs-r usdm was rated at 170 and the jdm one was at 180 i believe... The usdm type-r motor (B18C5) was rated at 195hp...
You are correct sir. I think the JDM ITR motor was rated at 200 hp for the 96-97 spec and 205 or 210 for the 98-2000 spec type r due to the 4-1 type r header.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe those who states the GS-R were never 197hp is correct. I mistakenly thought the GS-R had 197hp while the Type R had 190hp. Indeed the GS-R only had 170, maybe 180hp during their span and the Type R went up as much as 197hp stock with 133.8 lb.tq at 7500rpm. I also did not take account of the new SAE rating vs the previous ratings. Those hp rating would not stand correct in modern Si SAE rating and while the current model of Si is the most powerful Si ever made, it is only a few notches from 11 years ago.
To: Slow4DSi, I am not arguing the fact Si is a car not to be compared for racing. Notice my original post, I stated that fact already. I also have a cammed C6 in the garage and the Si is "only my DD."
In terms of FUEL ECONOMY, the Si is pretty good but I wouldn't say it is up there in terms of having one of the best fuel econs. I would like to point out that a 2004~2008 Acura TL 6cyl. with 258~268HP (standard and type S) fuel econ is rated 20/28 city and hwy. Now that is good fuel econ for a 6 cyl. car with as much as 268hp. The Si only has 197 and does 21/29, a mere smack in the fact when comared to the TL. But it is indeed good enough for me. Like most of you, I chose this car solely because it's a HONDA and it has good reputation of being reliable. Otherwise, i would have easily gone for a SRT4 or Colbalt SS.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Gsr had 170 by old sae type r 195 old sae, jdm gsr still had 170 just better gearing, also jdm type r was still 195 it just had better gearing and for some reason was a bit lighter.

·
Registered
536 Posts
no, K20A is more advance
just use hp/litre to calculate it

B18C in DC2R...let's say it's 200hp on average....that's 111.11hp/litre
K20A...the one in FD2R makes 225hp, which means 112.5hp/litre

Honda achieved 100hp/litre 10+ years ago was very advance and impressive already.

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Im sure if Honda cared or was in a race to make more power with their 4 cylinder econo cars, they could easily give us 300HP 4 bangers. Would it be reliable? I would be a little concerned. Gas mileage? not so good.

Honda is going for good power with respectable gas mileage. I guess 100HP/liter is the magic formula.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts