8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone is dropped on 18x8.5's. If so can u post pics if possible or at least tell me what size tires ur running with what type of springs and if there is any rubbing at all. Ive been leaning towards the eibach prokit but i didnt know if there would be clearance issues so i figured I should probabaly run it by u guys 1st.
Thanxx.

·
Registered
641 Posts
jblacc said:
Just wondering if anyone is dropped on 18x8.5's. If so can u post pics if possible or at least tell me what size tires ur running with what type of springs and if there is any rubbing at all. Ive been leaning towards the eibach prokit but i didnt know if there would be clearance issues so i figured I should probabaly run it by u guys 1st.
Thanxx.
it depends on offset.. if the offset is high then it will work with any lowering spring.

·
Registered
70 Posts
what's the offset of the wheels your interested in?

45mm offset wheels with 225/40/18 tires and pro kit you won't have any issues

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's the thing tho lol...
the wheels are alreddy on my car and I dont know a thing about if they're offset or how much. Is there a way I can check that or have it adjusted???

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rippars said:
18x8.5 will work on our cars. pm site sponsor z1 cause they have the same wheel specs on eibach sportlines w/o any major issues... offset?
I have no idea what the offset is lol.
I had a minor accident in this car a while back an had to buy some cheap rims with the quickness cuz the stockies were thru....I just got some 18's and told them hurry up and put em on there lol.
Only later did I realize that they were 18x8.5. is there a way I can find out what the exsisting offset is??

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
rippars said:
18x8.5 will work on our cars. pm site sponsor z1 cause they have the same wheel specs on eibach sportlines w/o any major issues... offset?
I have 18x8.5 +45 Rays 57F's on our FG. Fitment is great with 225/40/18. Any size larger in tire or a more aggressive offset and you risk rubbing on the front finder liner and the rear control arm.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Z1 Performance said:
I have 18x8.5 +45 Rays 57F's on our FG. Fitment is great with 225/40/18. Any size larger in tire or a more aggressive offset and you risk rubbing on the front finder liner and the rear control arm.

Cool. My tires are 225/40/18 as well. But how do I check the offset??

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aki said:
Take off one wheel, and usually on the back side of one spoke it'll say the offset.
Okay. And I guess the only way to change the offset is to buy a whole new set of wheels huh?

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Z1 Performance said:

What is the point of getting a wheel that is 1.5 inches wider than stock and puting a tire that is .4 inches wider than stock? I thought people bought wider wheels so that they could fit wider tires on them to increase grip levels and thus increase handling. Did you do that just so you could fit the biggest wheel on the car that you could and brag about how big your wheel is? Isn't it bad to stretch a tire like that?

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
jblacc said:
Okay. And I guess the only way to change the offset is to buy a whole new set of wheels huh?
You could decrease offset by getting spacers, which in general isn't recommended as it wears out your wheel bearing. You can increase offset *slightly* by grinding the hub are down a couple millimeters--but again this is usually not advisable as it compromises the integrity of the wheel.

SirBelch said:
What is the point of getting a wheel that is 1.5 inches wider than stock and puting a tire that is .4 inches wider than stock?
Not as much for the 57F gramlights, but there's an aesthetic benefit to wider wheels. You can have wider lips or more concave spokes with wider wheels, while not going excessively into a low offset. As far as narrow tires on wide wheels, you wear out the tire more due to the fact that the tire is conforming to a wheel beyond spec, and putting extra strain on the sidewall.

I was thinking (and am still fantasizing) about putting 9" wheels on my car, mainly for aesthetic reasons, haha. But since I wasn't ever planning on getting 255/40/17 tires I decided to keep it practical, heheh.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sirbelch said:
What is the point of getting a wheel that is 1.5 inches wider than stock and puting a tire that is .4 inches wider than stock? I thought people bought wider wheels so that they could fit wider tires on them to increase grip levels and thus increase handling. Did you do that just so you could fit the biggest wheel on the car that you could and brag about how big your wheel is? Isn't it bad to stretch a tire like that?
Um...I didnt buy a wheel/ tire to brag. I bought it because I wanted to and at the time I didnt really know that much about wheel figment etc so I got a wheel size that I found out later I didnt really want lol. Which is why Im here on this forum trying to find out if I can still drop my car with these wide wheels I didnt intentionally buy. Hope that explains it for u.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
aki said:
I was thinking (and am still fantasizing) about putting 9" wheels on my car, mainly for aesthetic reasons, haha. But since I wasn't ever planning on getting 255/40/17 tires I decided to keep it practical, heheh.
Me 2 BUT more for performance reasons than anything. A wider heavy wheel will always be more benifical than a skinny light one. BUT....You have towork with what your given and a 9" wheel witha ny sort of camber just won't fit, and for peroformance the camber and the wheel would be ideal but its a no go, I trieda 8" wheel and that will be a tight fit but I will make it. My point is gotta work with what was given to us. :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts