8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 LX coupe. I'm thinking about upgrading my hubcaps. Do you guys recommend 17" or 18" rims? What are the pro's and con's of each? Which one would save more gas?

Would 07 TSX rims fit good on mine? Stock tire size is 215 50 17, but if I want 215 45 17, would it fit good? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I would stick with 17"s if I were you.
18"s will put more stress on your wheel bearings and spindles.

The Si's have beefed up spindles to handle 18" rims, the LX does not.

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
it would have to depend, 17s are more for daily driving just with a lil style. as where 18s are the opposite, more style. and also consier the price, tires would be more expensive on 18s than 17s. and to answer your 3rd question, 17s would save more gas IF they weigh less than 18s or your stock wheels.

good luck in your search

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the response so far. Does anyone know if the TSX rims would fit good on my Civic? Are they lighter than my stock steel wheels?

·
Registered
56 Posts
kmyfantasy said:
I have an 06 LX coupe. I'm thinking about upgrading my hubcaps. Do you guys recommend 17" or 18" rims? What are the pro's and con's of each? Which one would save more gas?

Would 07 TSX rims fit good on mine? Stock tire size is 215 50 17, but if I want 215 45 17, would it fit good? Thanks for the help.
I just put Si wheels/tires on my 07 LX. Looks great handles better but there is a noticeable decrease in ride comfort. It is still very comfortable but the ride is noticeably stiffer. I think 18's would be too stiff for me..... I am also putting on an Si Rear sway tomorrow so that will further diminish ride comfort so I think 17's are good. I am hoping the rear sway and new wheels/tires will be enough to make it feel a little more sporty in the turns. My last mod, if I can find them will be a set of Si front brakes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put 18's on my LX and it still rides fine. Just get some good tires. My mpg has went down a little maybe 1-2 mpg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help. I think I'm gonna go w/ 17".

I'm thinking about the stock 07 TSX. Size is 17x7, bolt pattern 5x114.3mm, but the offset is +55mm whereas the offset on Si is +45mm.

Do you guys think the offset is too much, or it will fit just fine?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
kmyfantasy said:

I'm thinking about the stock 07 TSX. Size is 17x7, bolt pattern 5x114.3mm, but the offset is +55mm whereas the offset on Si is +45mm.

If 18x8's fit, 17x7's will too. I have the same offset on a 8" wide wheel

·
faptasic... pew pew pew
58,558 Posts
kmyfantasy said:

depends. im running the 05 tsx wheels (which have the same specs) and im dropped on pro kits and i have no issues, but another person had the same wheels and had a section of the tire rubbing against his front spring (dropped on tein ss coilovers)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
a couple questions
will the Si 18s fit on an EX without any real issues
and what this talk about weak spindles
also how do the rims make the ride stiffer

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
RiceBowL54 said:
Could someone elaborate? What about the EX?
I and (I assume)several other members have been riding on 18x8 wheels for some time now with no problems whatsoever on all platforms (dx, lx, ex, si).:thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally Posted by rippars
depends. im running the 05 tsx wheels (which have the same specs) and im dropped on pro kits and i have no issues, but another person had the same wheels and had a section of the tire rubbing against his front spring (dropped on tein ss coilovers)
My car is not lowered, and I don't plan to either, so I guess it'll be fine then. What size tire do you have, 215 45 17?

Anyone know what are the best tires I can buy for around $300 (all 4 tires, being kinda cheap here, tight budget). I'm thinking about size 215 45 17.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts