8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got bored today and put the 15" steel wheels back on just to test things and out of curious.

Here is the setup/s:

Suspension: HFP full suspension kit, camber>-1.5 x -1, progress RSB

18s: Advan RZ 18x8/37+, Yoko S-Drive tires 18/40/225

15s: 'Thin' steelies, Cheap Dunlop tires 15/65/195

Dulops had a little little thread.

My first Impression:

Acceleration: HIGHLY improved, you down shift, you feel the car actually pulling, from a dig the car jumps instead of staying in place.

Handling: The steering wheels is MUCH more responsive, the car doesn't turns as good, but not far from what it did with the 18s, I'm 100% positive that it would handle way better than the 18s if the steelies had those same S-Drive tires.

Looks: 18s look much better obviously and now I can feel what a good fitment wheels is like, these steelies are stuck in there and it's looking hideous.

Ride hight: the hight didn't change at all, same fender gap.

I just wanted to test things out, I will keep you guys update and I will have my Advans back on in the weekend.

>>>

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Function > form, why I have various sets of wheels. For daily I run lightweight 17s, for show/pics 18s. MPG improved since the motor doesn't stay in full boost at only part throttle on 17s. For people who say lightweight wheels don't make a difference, they do.

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Function > form, why I have various sets of wheels. For daily I run lightweight 17s, for show/pics 18s. MPG improved since the motor doesn't stay in full boost at only part throttle on 17s. For people who say lightweight wheels don't make a difference, they do.
I am getting some 17s for that purpose, my milage suffered with these 18s, not sure if 17s would be much different.

I love your ride its so damn ill

·
Registered
22,033 Posts
Yea man, my girl has the same car i do but in ABM with 16s (04 RSX type S) and everytime i drive her car i feel like im flying cuz the response is so quick and the handling is so delicate, compared to my car with 18s

·
Registered
17,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea man, my girl has the same car i do but in ABM with 16s (04 RSX type S) and everytime i drive her car i feel like im flying cuz the response is so quick and the handling is so delicate, compared to my car with 18s
Yah smaller diameter really makes a huge difference, I couldn't believe that steering wheels response, it was so damn tight and stable!!

Nice ride.:woowoo:
Thanks, sir :wavey:

·
Registered
665 Posts
i often wonder whether its really rotating diameter or weight that makes the difference. you said your right height didnt change at all from your 18's, so the diameter stayed the same, theyre just much lighter in weight. similar to the effect of adding a lightweight flywheel.

gets me thinking. because my career is in balancing.. typical 2 plane dynamic on a schenck machine. and ive always noticed that its never really the diameter that slows down my machine, but the amount of weight the machines motor has to turn. we do these certain types of impellers, one in aluminum, one in magnesium. theyre almost identical in every dimension. but the magnesium one is always MUCH easier to turn.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
^

Friction was increased significantly, 30 mm increase in tire width, tread design and larger contact patch adversely affected performance, steering and mpg. An increase in 2mm overall diameter also changes the drive ratio slightly. Tire carcass is also added to the overall weight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.