8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for starting another thread on this, but the other threads are just too damn long and bouncing all over.

I'm new to the FA5 (but owned many cars, modded and raced them)
My best time on this car is in the 14.80s, 2.30 60ft, 0 - 60 6.7 seconds (i use my gtech pro at the track also, once it's calibrated correctly, it's very accurate).
That's without powershifting, 1/2 tank of gas, and the spare in the trunk, 70 degrees out, normal humidity, very slight wind (1 - 3mph) normal track condtions...

Now in order to get this car below 14.1 stock, we have to make some assumptions here. First, i was looking at 0 - 60 times of most cars that are 14.2 or better, and they're all below 6 seconds ! Example : 1995 LT1 Camaro, 0 - 60 5.7 secs, 1/4 mile 14.1 ! Dodge SRT-4 0 - 60 in 5.6 secs, 1/4mile 14.1 (maybe a 13.8 with an awesome driver here) but i always saw 14's with these cars stock at the track. Many cars you can find with similar times.
So how does a 100% stock SI achieve 0 - 60 in the 5's and a quarter mile below 14.1 ?

I was launching @ 3500 rpms and slipping the clutch some, and shifting rather quickly, but not powershifting. So am I too assume that if I get a better launch ( in the 2.2s) and powershift, reduce some weight, this will knock off .6 ~ .7 seconds off my time ? Did any of you change your PSI in the front and back tires ? At the strip downwind ? :) I know there are many variables, but it's rather difficult to understand how this car can achieve such a time ! :driving:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
simple. the track he ran it on is in maryland.
famous for "fast" cars. lol @ marylands tracks.

Interesting. I was at capital speedway in Crofton Maryland and they say it's downhill ! ;) That shouldn't be the case for a legal racetrack though.

Yeah 14.6 sounds more like it. Even with a timeslip and video, how can one be sure he don't have a hidden 50 shot on there ? I've met a few people at the track that were getting ridiculous times and claiming the vehicle was 100% stock, showing under the hood and inside and later we found out there was a nitrous system on it, just hidden in a clever way. ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have to say that before I bought my Si I thought anything in the 14's was BS. The cars lite and go's ok so a high 14 is plausible. A low 14 though seems a bit of a stretch for a stock si. Here's a bit of my perspective. I had a 65 Chevelle that was heavy like a tank I'll grant you but with a worked V8 and I only ran a 13.80. So when somebody says they can run close to a 14 flat with a stock 4 banger I'm going to be more than a bit skeptical. With that said if you can get your si to run 14.6 - 14.8 stock you better be happy with the time cause that is a respectable 1/4 et for a stock veh period 4, 6 or 8 cyl.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Newsflash ! Today in florida it is very cold and the barametric pressure is high ! It's like Maryland weather in November! Anyway, i figured out how to get the car to those times. 1st: def. must sure the launch is 2.3's or better.
But most important is that 1 to 2 shift. It must be 8200 rpm or above (but without hitting the fuel cutoff), so it doesn't dip below 6000 rpm after shifting. If it does, you get a slight lug, and that will cost you ! I was watching that guys video and listening to the motor, shifting to figure out what was going on. It's no factory freak, the car can do that time under the right conditions. I also saw it posted that an Si will do 0 - 60 in 6.20 seconds. Because the acceleration curve is different for this car compared to turbos... if you can to 6.20, you'll achieve 14.1 or better ! Today i did a 6.35 seconds (with full tank of gas and spare) 14.42 !
Getting much closer here. I'll wait till my gas gets to a quarter, take the spare out and hope it's a cold dry day with high Barametric pressure.
Also, shift the same way 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th. Trick is, you can't go below 6000 rpm, or you the motor lugs... I'm 3/10ths away from victory here! :vtec:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gtech pro is not really accurate
I've owned several cars with it and tested them all at the track, it's very accurate. Once you get it calibrated for that track, it's within acceptable tolerence. I've been using one for many years, and i'm convinced. Also, it's an excellent tool that you can use to improve your skills. Find the weak point and try to improve on it.

It's the only thing i can go by at the moment. Once I get this car down, i'll then go to Bradenton and give her another run.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
funny cause i did it and not much came up...cept this

Honda-Tech.com: Drag Racing: Cecil County Dragway: 2007
post on s2k.com

aklucsarits1985467 said:
It's certainly possible if you consider the strip this happened at: Cecil County MD. Cecil County is legendary. It's basically the fastest drag strip in the US. Drivers at Cecil County historically get faster times than just about anywhere else. The track is exactly at sea level, and it allegedly runs at a slight downhill angle. Consider also the relatively cool temperature too, and it's possible that that is a real time slip for a stock Si.

An acquaintance of mine that I used to autoX with ran a 14.5 in a bone-stock Honda Prelude the first time he ever went drag racing right there at Cecil County. And over on Evolutionm.net, when the Evo IXs first came out, the fastest bone stock time was a 12.8, which everyone called BS about too - until the driver admitted that it was at Cecil County.
Andrew
From LS1gto.com

[QUOTE=4m6g0to1985467 said:
The funny thing is that Cecil is actually down hill....Cecil is good for traction...Always good traction at Cecil...There is always argument over which track is faster, Cecil or Atco...I've been to both tracks and by judging on how the fast cars run at both tracks(quick 8's and Pro Mods)...I would say Atco is a tad bit quicker, but not by much...Atco has the lower altitude and all the Pine trees to provide plenty of oxygen....But the traction at Cecil is just damn good...Sorry for all the words.....

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.