8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody in there r18 tryed this oil as amsoil states that it replaces the 5w-20 and is better than the 5w-20 oil and if i put this oil in would it hurt my engine and if anybody could explain what the 5 and the 20 means ive been on all the oil websites and nothing makes sense to many big words they ilude me and my stoner ways. thanks much

ad hve a nce dy..........stnr ae gret

·
Registered
179 Posts
0-20w oil is straight 20 weight oil

20 weight is when it is hot and when its cold

oil like 5w-20 is a multigrade oil (2 weights, 5 weight and 20 weight)

modern oils have additives and polymers to reverse the laws of physics

in a normal liquid, the molecules expand away from each other when it is hot

motor oil, however, contract at higher temperatures to create a higher viscosity at operating temperature

when it is 195 degrees Fahrenheit in your engine, your oil's viscosity is 20 weight

but when it is cold, it is 5 weight

·
Registered
69 Posts
ive been using it in my r18 since first oil change , now im at 32k engine still quite as it was brand new. I LOVE this oil! check bobistheoilguy.com you'll see good wear numbers on this oil, actually its one of the best 20w oil out [email protected] hope dat helps

·
Registered
119 Posts
0W-20 is absolutely, positively, without-a-doubt no different than 5W-20 at operating temperature. As per another post, 0W-20 is actually slightly heavier than 5W-20 at 40c and 100C. The ONLY difference between 0W-20 and 5W-20 is that 0W-20 flows better at lower temperatures, temperatures that most of us will never see unless you happen live in the Northern USA or Canada.

I have been using Amsoil 0W-20 in my 07 LX since the 1st oil change. No difference in performance, other than a smoother idle, and much better protection against fuel dilution. I do a lot of short trip driving in suburban traffic, so I wanted added protection from fuel dilution. I also only average ~6,000 miles per year, so I wanted an oil that will last 12 months without question. The 0W-20 offering from Amsoil provides me with both.

·
Registered
231 Posts
0W-20 IS NOT a straight 20 weight...

The number on the left when followed bu a "W" is measured at 32 Degrees F. and the number on the right is measured at 212 Degrees F.

The high temp weight is measured through a drip type system where the Winter or "W" weight is measured with a magnetic system of drawing a steel ball through a cup of oil... Over simplified but I am sure you get the idea.

The difference between AMSOIL's 5W-20 and the new 0W-20 is that the 5W-20 is a High Grade Hydro-Cracked oil and the 0W-20 is 100% Synthetic, Offering greater protection.

You will not hurt anything running the 0W-20 and as matter-of-fact it outperforms the 5W-20 XL Product.

You can also opt for 0W-30, 5W-30, or 10W-30.. the 5W-20 was Honda's cure to meet the CAFE.

Doc

·
Registered
800 Posts
Amsoil ASM (0w-20) FTW!

I've been running it and love it. I'm also running the Amsoil ATF in my auto tranny. Shifting couldn't be better!

I'm sold on Amsoil! It's GREAT stuff!

·
Registered
231 Posts
You won't be sorry, it is a great oil...

But if you are a little hard on the car, I would use Product Code SSO 0W-30. It is the toughest oil we have for gasoline automotive applications.

Doc

·
Registered
182 Posts
I posted this chart in another thread.
0W20 will have excellent cold start flow characteristics and is
better then 5W20, especially if you are in cold winter climates.
It still has a 20 weight (same as 5W20) under normal engine temperatures
which means this oil is a great choice for the R18 all year around regardless
of where you live.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i run pure 180 wt tractor diff lube in my r18. I may only get 4 horse power and 9 gallons per foot ball field but i think its a good trade off

just use the 5-20 or what ever honda recommends

·
Registered
231 Posts
The difference with AMSOIL is that the 5W-20 is a Hydro-Cracked Product and the 0W-20 is 100% PAO Based Synthetic and will offer better protection.

Doc

·
Registered
494 Posts
The salesman has spoken, all must obey!
Why the nasty attitude? I don't think such comments bring anything positive to this discussion.

I understand not liking Amsoil, their business practices are quite objectional to many, me included, that said, Oil Doc has consistently provided us with fairly good, accurate and unbiased information, and IMHO, he is well worth listening to.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks shipo...

I didn't think I offered anything other than information in that post.

I know a lot of people don't like AMSOIL's Marketing, but what I don't understand is why they don't like it. I think it may come down to a mis-perception of what it really is.

AMSOIL has several business models within the company, My choices are to wholesale to the public and set up Retail Accounts.. I do not hit on people with the MLM side unless they ask.

Thanks again, Doc

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm thinking that this isn't the place to get into Amsoil's business model and marketing practices. Suffice it to say, I'm not alone in my dislike of how they do things.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The really funny part is that no one debates the quality of Amsoil's products, yet their sales model is hotly debated. I don't like having to pay $20 to become a Preferred Customer in order to buy Amsoil products at dealer cost. It is inconvenient having to wait for UPS to deliver motor oil. All of us like being able to run down to Autozone, WalMart, Pep Boys or wherever to purchase oil locally.

With the above being said, consider the following. When is the last time an Amsoil salesman knocked on your door trying to sell you motor oil? When is the last time an Amsoil salesman called your home, like a telemarketer, to sell you motor oil? When is the last time you saw Amsoil commercials on television? How many pharmaceutical drug commercials have you seen this weekend alone?

The solution to those who don't want to be solicited for Amsoil sales in forums like this is easy, just make it one of the Terms of Use that product advertising is not allowed. Before you do this, though, consider how many times you needed to know about a part, fluid or other product for your car.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
231 Posts
The really funny part is that no one debates the quality of Amsoil's products, yet their sales model is hotly debated. I don't like having to pay $20 to become a Preferred Customer in order to buy Amsoil products at dealer cost. It is inconvenient having to wait for UPS to deliver motor oil. All of us like being able to run down to Autozone, WalMart, Pep Boys or wherever to purchase oil locally.

More misconceptions..... You do not have to pay $20.00 to become a Preferred Customer or become a Dealer to buy at Dealer Cost.

If you order from Me, I pay $10.00 for a 6 month Preferred Customer Membership for you, which gets you in the System and will, at this time, allow me to sell you at Dealer cost. If you don't want to become a Preferred Customer and get a monthly magazine for those 6 months, you don't have to. You can still buy through me at Dealer cost plus 3%.. which is still my cost..

I did about $37K in AMSOIL Sales for just November so I don't think "Everyone" likes being able to go to those places and then paying Full Retail and sometimes More when they can buy from me at the Stores cost. There are some that don't care about saving 20-25%, but many people do, and that is why Internet Sales have grown to such a huge proportion of the Economy

Also, all of those stores mentioned, and more, have approached AMSOIL and been refused.

Doc

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am an Amsoil PC and like being able to order directly from their web site. The dealer cost is actually up to ~30 off of retail, so paying the $20 makes sense for me. I spend over $100 per year on Amsoil products and $100 is the breaking point that becoming a PC pays for itself.

Why do you pay the $10 for a 6 month PC for your customers? Do you get a commission on the PC purchases, which pays the $10 back to you plus a little extra? Also, If you only charge 3% above dealer cost the you are doing something that I have never heard of. Sounds like a square deal for your customers.

Anyway, the point that I was trying to make is that Amsoil products are top notch. I use and endorse them. I am not an Amsoil dealer. With that being said, I understand how some folks are put off by the Amsoil sales model.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am an Amsoil PC and like being able to order directly from their web site. The dealer cost is actually up to ~30 off of retail, so paying the $20 makes sense for me. I spend over $100 per year on Amsoil products and $100 is the breaking point that becoming a PC pays for itself.
:yeahthat:

Since the Dallas warehouse is about 45 min from me, I just place my order and go pick it up. That way when I'm there and I forgot anything, I can just add it on.

My "sponsor" is one of the dealers that sponsor over on bobistheoilguy.com. I don't even have any contact with him unless I email him to ask a question. With the Preferred Customer program, I don't really see any of the MLM... which is nice.

Brian

1 - 20 of 28 Posts