8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 07 si with 15,000miles and the factory warranty is about to expire in about 2 weeks.

The dealer has a 100,000 4 year for $1700 and can be paid in 18 months. is a good deal since cover road assistance and about 600dls on tires and other good stuff.

However my only concern is the tranny, i've read complaints in 2 n 3rd shifts. I think the engine is pretty reliable.

I want to get the reflash later on, but this will can be just waisting my money if they try to deny a claim because of it.

This is an outside extended warranty that many dealers sell, and claim just can be done in a dealrship. I really drive about 25k to 30k miles per year and I always drive my cars very hard ( not in a stupid way, but in a very demanding way, and sometimes some autocross events)

I could do the reflash and the get a second ECU programed to my car and swapped out whenever I have a problem. Or I could get Flash pro and set it to stock tune in case of also a problem, but I dont know if this is a good option or if the dealer would be able to tell the ecu swap or the FP retune.

Dont start with the long talk about the voided warranty by modding a car, I already had enough to read about that, and the end point is that i dont want to trow away my money by getting the warraty and having a claim denied and then fight with the dealer to whether or not the mod caused X problem, which a reflash I think is very easy to relate any problem to the engine.

However I think the engine would be fine taking good care of it but again my concern is a tranny problem wanted to be denied because of a reflash or FP tune.

Any opinion would be helpful thanks.

And if you ask yes I will be taking the car to the dealer before the warranty expires just to be safe so they can check out the tranny arguing it feels funny and notchy, which I really dont know if that is the wrong feel of the gears since this is a used car.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
if you get flashpro, and you don't change your rev limit, then the dealer will never know you ever flashed the ECU if you reset it back to stock before taking it in for a problem

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am not a big fan of the extended warranties. I have been buying new cars for 21 years, never buying the extended warranty. I have also never been birned to change my mind. In my opinion, if your tranny is fine now I wouldn't waste the money on an extended warranty.

·
Registered
229 Posts
if you get flashpro, and you don't change your rev limit, then the dealer will never know you ever flashed the ECU if you reset it back to stock before taking it in for a problem
According to Hondata, they change the overrev rpm, so that error code is not set in the ECU if you crack 8300 rpms.

I agree with the above poster. Get the car checked out now, see if the TSB fix has been applied, and ride it out.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
you can't get a 2nd ecu programmed to your car; every time you swap the ecus you'll have to have your keys reprogrammed.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
as long as its a honda warranty and no third party crapyou see on tv?....

eh, hard to say, i would get the pwrtrain wrrty only.

if anything else busts' just replace it. not much else can go wrong with it.

i got mine certified with 19k and bumper to bumper expires this dec and pwrtrain in 2013<<pwrtrain.

plus im boosted so if nothing goes wrong with it by 2013 then nothing will....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I guess you can but you also would have to have, lets says your valet key programend to one ECU
how exactly would that work? every time you program a set of keys, the ecu and keys get a new code. therefore, each time an ecu and set of keys get programmed to each other, the keys now wouldn't work with the other ecu. afaik, you can't simultaneously program a set of keys to 2 ecu's; it has to be done one at a time.

wait, are you talking about getting 1 key programmed for each ecu? that'd probably work. i might've misunderstood what you were saying.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
as long as its a honda warranty and no third party crapyou see on tv?....

eh, hard to say, i would get the pwrtrain wrrty only.

if anything else busts' just replace it. not much else can go wrong with it.

i got mine certified with 19k and bumper to bumper expires this dec and pwrtrain in 2013<<pwrtrain.

plus im boosted so if nothing goes wrong with it by 2013 then nothing will....

well it is not honda care extended warranty, it is a third party that the dealer sells, the seales rep told me that they have been always selling those warraties for many year, and they can be just purchased thru a dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts