8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im going to buy the reflash how will this effect my motor in the long run i dont really hit vtec that much on the street because it cost to much money
(gas prices)will i need to upgrade my valve springs,retainers etc?? or do you guys think it will be fine with a short ram intake and e-cutout

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hondata reflash is a questionable thing, because it automatically voids your warranty. As the reflash can be detected really easy anything that will happen to your motor from there on can be blamed on it's brain aka the reflash.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
not really, just send it back to get reflashed back to stock before you take it to the dealer. I have had mine for months and never once had a problem. I would just get a race header if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
781 Posts
not really, just send it back to get reflashed back to stock before you take it to the dealer. I have had mine for months and never once had a problem. I would just get a race header if you want to go that route.
They can tell that it was modified no matter what. Majority of people are satisfied with it. There's a few blown motors also(which most probably it's not even the reflashes fault) but can you take your chances?

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
yo need of three, intake, exhaust, or header that is all. no need to upgrade head internals. it drops vtec to about 4600rpm so you will need to shift before that.

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
They can tell that it was modified no matter what. Majority of people are satisfied with it. There's a few blown motors also(which most probably it's not even the reflashes fault) but can you take your chances?
:police:
do you have any links to these "blown motors"....

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so i no that e-cutout is not really made for n/a cars because there is no back pressure like boosted cars is there any way i could get a bent valve or is it different with a high compression motor really the only time the headers are open is when im at the track or somebody is pissing me off on the road.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I have been on this forum a long time and can only think of like 4 cars with blown motors and only one had the reflash and that was the comptech reflash and it was due to a bad install.

They are guys from 8th...I don't have the exact link, sorry. You should be able to find it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Please check better.I've seen two with hondata reflash. Honestly I have nothing against Hondata reflash I'm just stating a fact. Which is that hondata reflash automatically voids your warranty..that's it.(And Hondata is not assuming any responsibilities)

·
Registered
781 Posts
It doesn't matter that...and as I said "probably it wasn't because of the reflash"...all it matter is if you care about the warranty or not. How hard is it to understand?

·
Premium Member
98,627 Posts
its just the fact that your stating that the reflash blew the motor. just trying to clear things up as to not start any rumors.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you are afraid of blowing your motor, then modding is not for you. Never mod things you can't afford to replace.
Don't know about you guys, but I fart and $5000 bills fly out so for me, replacing a motor is about as inconvenient as getting a flat tire. I have two other cars and a bank account just for the Honda, and honestly I wish it would blow up so I would have an excuse to cram a supercharged k24 in there.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
wish i could say the same^^

all i have is a sri..are there different reflashes for like just and sri..or just a header or both.....or is there just one the works with all??

i have an sri..and im debating on gettin the dcrh or the reflash first..

·
Registered
445 Posts
I was just kidding about the $5000 bills coming out my ass, and my other two cars are total POS's.

But seriously, if blowing your engine would be a major inconvenience because you lack the tools/skills/time/money to repair your only vehicle, then you might reconsider the extent of your modifications.

Also, the Hondata reflash won't blow your engine. If you reflash it and it blows, it was going to blow anyway. I actually blink the rev light a lot less after the reflash since there is so much more meaty mid range. Wringing every last rpm out of it so that you are sure to stay in vtec is just not necessary anymore. I find myself shifting in the 7500-8000 range now.

I do recommend a race header before the reflash. You will get a lot more out of a header and reflash opposed to an intake and reflash.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was just kidding about the $5000 bills coming out my ass, and my other two cars are total POS's.

But seriously, if blowing your engine would be a major inconvenience because you lack the tools/skills/time/money to repair your only vehicle, then you might reconsider the extent of your modifications.

Also, the Hondata reflash won't blow your engine. If you reflash it and it blows, it was going to blow anyway. I actually blink the rev light a lot less after the reflash since there is so much more meaty mid range. Wringing every last rpm out of it so that you are sure to stay in vtec is just not necessary anymore. I find myself shifting in the 7500-8000 range now.

I do recommend a race header before the reflash. You will get a lot more out of a header and reflash opposed to an intake and reflash.
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
70 Posts
blown motors are not caused by the reflash! it happens when the motor is revved over 10000rpm or misshifting in the upper rpm range(8000+)! even hondata stated that. and if you are concerned about your warranty, then don't install any aftermarket parts at all!

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i bet with the reflash 1st gear is a bi*ch! ok say i send my ecu out on a monday what day would you think i would get it back

1 - 20 of 36 Posts