8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
its not a horse. maybe a pony or something. i am not good with farm animals so don't criticize.

·
Registered
109 Posts
e60.deluxe said:
no, it has to do with the horses. and it is spefically 2/3.
It may be me just pulling stuff out of my ass but....

Does it have to do with how Watt originally calculated HP where a single HP was a horses ability to produce power output within the first minute? The average power output of a single horse after that initial minute would be less than 1 hp and more like 2/3 hp.

:confused:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
e60.deluxe said:
lol, good find.

its actually 2/3 HP! (rep for someone who can tell me why.)
www.wikipedia.com said:
The term "horsepower" was created by the engineer James Watt in 1782. Watt (1736 to 1819) is most famous for his work on improving the performance of steam engines.

Watt was working with ponies lifting coal at a coal mine, and he wanted to define the power available from one of these animals. He found that, on average, a mine pony could do 22,000 foot-pounds (lift a bucket of coal weighing 22,000 lb. a distance of 1-foot) of work in a minute. He then increased that number by 50 percent and fixed the measurement of horsepower at 33,000-foot-pounds of work in one minute.

Under this system, one horsepower is defined as:

1 hp = 33,000 ft·pound-force·min−1 = exactly 745.69987158227022 W
That the answer you wanted? :biggrin:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
MrCode said:
It may be me just pulling stuff out of my ass but....

Does it have to do with how Watt originally calculated HP where a single HP was a horses ability to produce power output within the first minute? The average power output of a single horse after that initial minute would be less than 1 hp and more like 2/3 hp.

:confused:

"He then increased that number by 50 percent and fixed the measurement of horsepower at 33,000-foot-pounds of work in one minute."

there you go. rep to both. wow a pony that says though. thats why he increases it by 50%. i had always been taught horse and then increased it because? i dont know didnt think abotu that. oh well learn something new everyday. rep to both.

·
Banned
6,166 Posts
e60.deluxe said:
that doesnt make sense but im laughing anyway.:biggrin:
Horse is only powering 2/3 sets of the wheels. He isn't powering the front ones.

Looks like I was wrong... Eh, i'm a tech all I need to understand is horsepower and torque. I don't think i'll ever have to fix an engine with a horse as the source of power.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts