8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was curious about shift points when you guys are at the track.

do you guys redline every gear? I have a slight grind when i shift at redline from the frist to second shift, so would it effect anything if i shifted at 7500?

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
shift when it blinks
i was curious about shift points when you guys are at the track.

do you guys redline every gear? I have a slight grind when i shift at redline from the frist to second shift, so would it effect anything if i shifted at 7500?
yea....slower 1/4 mile times. lol

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
if it's grinding - stop doing it. It will only make it worse. Do NOT force your car into the gear. Basically push it in the right direction and let it slide in on it's own.

With every grind it will only get a little worse.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
try to do the grind clutch fix. that should fix the shifting into 2nd in high rpm

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
1st-7900

2-8200

3-redline ( 8600) for me.

4-same as third..

when i run my car boosted at the track ill find out how far i get in 5th lol

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
you don't wind out 2nd gear? the car makes power up to there with a proper tune.
i had nitrous and didnt spray till 3rd so the faster i could get to 3rd the better..

but even when i didnt run with nitrous i got better times not winding 2nd out...

ive never seen a dyno graph of a 2nd gear pull and the TQ and HP it makes up top.. on bolts on/fp

but to me 3rd-4th felt like the only gears that the car was still making power that was helping the car move down the 1320 faster..

1st and 2nd... it just felt like alot of noise and no movement..

not very cool.

i only ran my car BONE stock like 3 times.. but i got a 14.7s consistently shifting just like that.

the diffrence between 8200 and 8600 is small..

400 RPMS up top.. with bolt ons or spray cant pack to much punch..

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
noo i meant shifting ONLY first to second at 7500, and then 8200 on all other gears. is that going to effect much?

especially since the si loses power around 7500 anyway

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
noo i meant shifting ONLY first to second at 7500, and then 8200 on all other gears. is that going to effect much?

especially since the si loses power around 7500 anyway
stock si starts to drop off power at 7500 but it keeps acceling IMO to about 7900.

but flashpro and some nice bolt ons will help u make power all the way to redline..

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
stock si starts to drop off power at 7500 but it keeps acceling IMO to about 7900.

but flashpro and some nice bolt ons will help u make power all the way to redline..
I think his main question was whether he'd drop a lot of performance not redlining 1st gear. I'd also like to know seeing as everytime I do redline 1st, I get very bad grinds.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
dont redline it.. take it 7800 its pointless to take it that high in 1st and 2nd IMO
Problem with this, atleast in my experience is that if you shift this low you'll drop out of vtec losing most of your power, sometimes the engine may lag too, and then you'll have to climb back up the rpms. You want to shift every gear high so you stay in vtec which is where the car makes its most power imo.

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
Problem with this, atleast in my experience is that if you shift this low you'll drop out of vtec losing most of your power, sometimes the engine may lag too, and then you'll have to climb back up the rpms. You want to shift every gear high so you stay in vtec which is where the car makes its most power imo.
stock if u shift at the shift light ull stay in vtec.. shift light up=vtec range

with fp and lower vtec(3800-4500) u wont fall out of vtec if u shift at 7800..

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
don't listen to fg2, shifting early in this car is stupid. the car keeps over 80% of it's torque all the way to redline, there is NO POINT to shift early. also if you shift early you land at a lower point in the power band instead of in the meat of the horsepower. This isn't a turbo car.

the only reason i could see to shift early would be 1st to 2nd since this has problems going in for a lot of people. also you may be spinning.

but not winding out 2nd gear? bonehead move.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
don't listen to fg2, shifting early in this car is stupid. the car keeps over 80% of it's torque all the way to redline, there is NO POINT to shift early. also if you shift early you land at a lower point in the power band instead of in the meat of the horsepower. This isn't a turbo car.

the only reason i could see to shift early would be 1st to 2nd since this has problems going in for a lot of people. also you may be spinning.

ahh someone agreed...i figured my theory was right lol

·
Banned
4,164 Posts

7900 isnt shifting early...

this is only my 3rd k powered car that i drag race regularly ...

i know nothing of this..

:deadhorse:= redline shifting 1-2 on a stock si or a bolt on/flash pro si..

3rd gear acceptable.. but 1 and 2nd.. no

1 - 20 of 24 Posts