8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont know if this has been posted on here or not, but there are some really bad issues with early built 09 WRX's. So far over on NASIOC.com there are 30 some people who have experienced spun rod bearing causing severe rod knock on their 09 WRX. The problem has occured with people reguardless of it they broke it in properly or not.

The list posted on the site all state that the build dates of the cars are all in July/Aug 08.

2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC

Now, i have come accross a really good deal on an 09 WRX and i asked the salesman to go outside and look to see what the biuld date is inside the door.
He tells me it was build in November 08 which is a good 3 months after all the supposed problems with the early built 09's.

Should i be afraid to buy an 09 wrx.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I traded my si in for a 09 wrx, I know about all the problems with the 08s and early built 09s but subaru is actually stepping up to the plate and stocking warehouses with long blocks so that they can ship motors out to dealers faster.

Your first oil change at subaru, you are supposed to get a oil analysis to see of they are any issues with copper particles that are supposedly causing this problem

Other than the motor issues it seems to be a well buit car, I like it, although I miss my si

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i just got back from the mazda dealer and got so sit in an 09 Mazdaspeed 3 Grand Touring.

Damn if i didnt fall in love with it. had 25,6ish on the sticker and they said it was negotiable.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Honestly, seems like most of these sports compacts have at least one glaring defect.

The Si has 3rd gear issues, the MazdaSpeed 3 had engine mount issues early on, the WRX has an issue with rod knock...

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was one of the first nationally to purchase the 09 Wrx, and I have 14,900 miles on it. No issues whatsoever. I drive it like i stole it, even offroad it hard sometimes. SPT catback and AEM intake. I'm going to buy the Maddad divorced shorty downpipe, and keep the stock second cat in place. I'm hoping to find a tuner that can tune it using open port.

The catback was $333, the AEM intake I bought used (only 500 miles on it) for $180, and the open port is $169.

This should net me in the range of 270 to 280 whp and 300+ wtq all the while if visually checked under the car, it would appear stock. The intake is CARB legal too.

That said, a good driver (not myself) should be able to turn out a high 12 second 1/4 mile, and low 4 second 0-60 mph for $1k.

I still think the 09 Wrx is the best bang for the buck by far, even over the heralded Cobalt SS. Reason being, the AWD has 3 distinct advantages over FWD.

1. Offroading is a BLAST.
2. When the road is wet, you can still step on it without spinning ur wheels.
(doesn't sound like much, but coming from the Si, it does matter).
3. If you are interested in 400+ whp, you still have the option of modding the car to handle it. A FWD 400+ whp car may be fast on the freeway, and at the strip with slicks/drag radials, but it can't be fun in all situations LIKE an AWD car can be.

Not knocking the Si though, for the price and what it has to offer, it's also a great deal. The car can be made to go fast as well, and the handling stock is a little better than the Wrx. It gets better gas mileage by about 7 mpg, and for street driving is plenty fast. It also is a looker, however, my WRX has grown on me and I don't prefer the look one over the other now.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Honestly, seems like most of these sports compacts have at least one glaring defect.

The Si has 3rd gear issues, the MazdaSpeed 3 had engine mount issues early on, the WRX has an issue with rod knock...
I'll take a notchy third gear over spun bearings over something I didn't even cause. Didn't they have almost the exact same problem with early revision 08 STi's?

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
6k miles on my 09 wrx, not one single problem so far. got stage 1 cobb ap and it hauls some ass. can't wait to get my catless dp and go stage 2.

as far as the problems, looks like the problems affect build dates between 07/08 and 09/08, but mostly looks like 08/08 are the ones affected the most. mine is a 07/08 build date. if it has a build date after 09/09 you should be ok. i think there has only been one 09/09 reported failure to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
10,300 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the issue with the WRX at all man. I bet that even with all the issues it still is less than 5% of all the WRX's sold in the country that have this problem. And Subaru would never allow this to get too big. They can not afford to not take care of this in this economy. They will start having a recall on all cars built in that time frame and do UOA's on all of them. If I didn't just dump $5K on a turbo system and extras I would buy a brand new WRX Sedan right now.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm back and forth with the looks of the WRX.. sometimes I dont mind it, some modded ones look good, and sometimes I think it looks like bum.

The '08 I test drove felt really sloppy. More of a family car then a sporty car, I think they've stepped it up with the '09s (but the also bumped the price up a bit). I wouldnt worry about rod knock -- you'll be safe with the factory warranty.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, after sitting in a 09 Mazdaspeed 3 today im really starting to rethink my needs for a WRX.

It just felt right. Aside from the foot long shifter compared to the Si. But thats going to be expected with any car as the Si has about one of the shortest length and throw shifters there are.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
idk bro your starting to scare me the SI feels so much better then the speed3 overall its got a nice interior yes but nothing else feels sport oriented about it besides the motor that dies off too quickly.

you've got a sexy combination right now with that SC si i wouldn't be going anywhere if i where you but we are 2 different people and its your choice.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.