8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all
So I was looking into getting a new clutch. I was told that an Exedy stage 1 or Exedy oem replacement would be fine. Also was told to get lighter flywheel and cmc. I just want to know what replacing all this will actually do because it looks pricey? Also one more? Will replacing any of this stop the whining sound I get when I back up? Someone told me that the part that makes that sound is in between the transmission and clutch. they said its a cheap part but hard to get to so I should do it when I replace my clutch. My si has 120k on it and runs great but I want to upgrade alittle. Already have aftermarket intake, throttle body spacer. Want to do an exhaust and hondata down the road as well. Thank you

·
Registered
519 Posts
For where it sounds you are at with your car I wouldn't bother replacing your clutch unless you need to. If it's still holding and not slipping why would you swap it out?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True not switching it until it needs it. But Iike to be informed and plan for the future. A buddy of mine has an SI with 140K on his and he says my clutch feels different than his. Thanks it might be going bad but to me nothing seems wrong and it drives fine. So that's why I'm asking all the questions about the CMC, lighter flywheel, clutch and reverse sound. When I do replace I would like to slightly upgrade and get that sound fixed. Need to know how much money I need to save.. Lol
For where it sounds you are at with your car I wouldn't bother replacing your clutch unless you need to. If it's still holding and not slipping why would you swap it out?

·
Registered
130 Posts
A lightened flywheel will allow the engine to rev quicker, specifically when blipping to rev match. A new CMC will make the clutch feel more direct as the stock CMC and slave have delay valves in them. I suggest just getting the full kit from somewhere like K tuned to replace both the master and slave. I have no experience with the Exedy clutch but I hear it is very close to stock with ease of use and weight. The only reason to upgrade the clutch itself is if the stock one is worn or your are planning on putting boost on the motor. But if you are doing the fly wheel you might as well get a new clutch and pilot bearing while you have it apart and you'll be set for any normal power mods and the rest of the life of the car.

As for the whining in reverse, that is totally normal and happens in nearly every single manual car. It is because the reverse gears are straight cut instead of helical so they will whine. Look out straight cut gearbox sounds and youll see that for every gear it will whine like it. My guess is because it is cheaper than helical and people wont be annoyed by the sound because you dont hear it for very long.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello all
So I was looking into getting a new clutch. I was told that an Exedy stage 1 or Exedy oem replacement would be fine. Also was told to get lighter flywheel and cmc. I just want to know what replacing all this will actually do because it looks pricey? Also one more? Will replacing any of this stop the whining sound I get when I back up? Someone told me that the part that makes that sound is in between the transmission and clutch. they said its a cheap part but hard to get to so I should do it when I replace my clutch. My si has 120k on it and runs great but I want to upgrade alittle. Already have aftermarket intake, throttle body spacer. Want to do an exhaust and hondata down the road as well. Thank you
A full race header, 3 inch exhaust, CAI, coupled with a stage 1.5 competition clutch, and tuned with a Hondata Flashpro were the best mods I ever did while I had my car. I still have my stage 1.5 Competition clutch with less than 5k miles on it and I have an AEM cold air intake that I would be willing to sell for cheap. New they are very expensive but I’ll let both go for $300. Would you be interested?

·
Registered
60 Posts
If your clutch is toast. Than I would get a light flywheel and a Honda oem clutch and pressure plate and replace the other things that need to be. I had a complete oem kit from Honda. Never had any problems and yeah it's gonna feel so much lighter on the pedal with a new clutch alone. If your going boost than I would wait on the clutch untill your actually doing that type of upgrade.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts