8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to remove the oem spring off the front strut on my 09 Si Sedan but I can't get the nut off of the top of the strut. The bolt takes an allen wrench but what am I supposed to use to turn the nut with? Am I making this too hard than it really is?

·
Banned
106 Posts
I used a power tool set at the highest torque/speed and the bolt came right off without using an allen wrench.

I know there is a special wrench with a weird bend that is used to turn the bolt while holding the strut with the allen wrench.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
lol i had this same exact problem....i did my skunk2 pro-s in the parking lot of my dorms by myself.... i just rigged it and it was a huge pain in the ass. i used the impact socket over the nut and put a t-handled allen wrench down thru the socket....then used another allen wrench thru the release hole on the side of the socket. Mine were on DAMN good but with a little elbow grease n a lot of sweat it finally came off. with only one casualty..........

CIVIC>CRAFTSMAN

·
Registered
470 Posts
havent done it on this car yet but on my other cars i have loosened them before i take the shock/spring assembly out makes it a little easier to get the nut off after you pull it out

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K I got them off. God damn they were tough. The left one I used a gear ratchet (pass through) and an Allen wrench and it came off. But the right one I had to take to walmart and have one of my buddies take off with an impact wrench. Crazy what a little compressed air can do lol. I still got the right rear to do in the morning and I'll be done. The rear isn't hard at all.

However the left rear looks higher than the stock right rear now. Any reason for this? Maybe the spring is in wrong?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My power tools just spin the nut on the top hat after I compressed the spring. Please help!
If you are replacing the strut as I imagine, I just hold the strut rod with some vise grips. I would take care of using rubber pieces on the vise grips if I was returning them for core but no auto store does that I know of. (what a waste of metal)

·
Registered
317 Posts
If you are replacing the strut as I imagine, I just hold the strut rod with some vise grips. I would take care of using rubber pieces on the vise grips if I was returning them for core but no auto store does that I know of. (what a waste of metal)
Thanks bro. I did a bit of more research and I found that I need pass-through wrenches. It’s the only way I can remove the nut and hold the shaft from spinning. It’s effen annoying

1 - 12 of 12 Posts