8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
When has that changed, really? :D

Nice find though!
Never has really. I remember when Porsche debuted the 917 to take on Ferrari in prototype racing back in the late 60's. They have been at it ever since. If Porsche is going to come out with this monster, what will Ferrari respond with?

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
You remember the 60's? :thumb:
I had better. I am 55 years old. Been to many Can Am and Sports car races over the years. Have been to many tracks around the US and Canada as well. My life is nothing but a continual reflection on the 60's: the cars, the girls, the music etc. Once you tasted that time, it is hard for any other time period to measure up in my estimation.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Thanks guys, you know I love my Porsche's.
In June of this year, my wife, 15 year old son and myself went to the grocery store. Parked there in the lot was a gray Carrera GT. We went bonkers when we saw it [well, my son and I did anyway].

My son decided to stay outside and wait for the guy while my wife and I went in to do our shopping. When we came out, I heard the Carrera GT scream away. My son ran up to us all excited.

The owner came out with his girlfriend. He saw my son drooling over the car, so he asked him if he would like to get in and start it. My son of course took the opportunity. He got to start the car up and rev it.

The owner told my son that if his girlfriend hadn't been with him, he would have given him a ride. Because he couldn't give him a ride, he said he would get it on past the supermarket, which he did.

Oh the sound! Like tightly stretched canvas ripping. It sounded just like an F1 car. Oh, I love Porsches!

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Nice. Looks like Porsche wants to trump anything Ferrari has. Great find!
isnt the CGT already kicking the Enzos pants in everything except top speed?

anyway i dont believe it..Porsche has never been about top speed, tons of HP or anything like that. it might be a protype or concept to get the Veyron fans shaking a bit but im not sure i belive a non RWD high end Porsche.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
anyway i dont believe it..Porsche has never been about top speed, tons of HP or anything like that. it might be a protype or concept to get the Veyron fans shaking a bit but im not sure i belive a non RWD high end Porsche.
Really? Apparently you have never heard of the Porsche 917-10 and 917-30. They were called the Penske Panzers. The 917-30 had close to 1200 horsepower [when needed] 12 cylinder back in 1973. I saw the car race at Road America and Laguna Seca in 1973. Porsche even had a 2,000 hp 16 cylinder motor in case Team McLaren turbocharged its Reynolds 510 Big Block Chevrolets.

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Really? Apparently you have never heard of the Porsche 917-10 and 917-30. They were called the Penske Panzers. The 917-30 had close to 1200 horsepower 12 cylinder back in 1973. I saw the car race at Road America and Laguna Seca in 1973. Porsche even had a 2,000 hp 16 cylinder motor in case Team McLaren turbocharged its Reynolds 510 Big Block Chevrolets.
those were not road cars and they were not AWD.

the 997 GT2 when it comes out will be the first road Porsche to break 200MPH despite the above going to 240-250 mph i think? porsche's road cars have almost always had less HP than their competitiors.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
those were not road cars and they were not AWD.

the 997 GT2 when it comes out will be the first road Porsche to break 200MPH despite the above going to 240-250 mph i think?
Whoop de doo. You said Porsche never has been about high horsepower or top speed. I just wanted to show you that you were wrong, that's all.

·
Registered
13,283 Posts
Really? Apparently you have never heard of the Porsche 917-10 and 917-30. They were called the Penske Panzers. The 917-30 had close to 1200 horsepower [when needed] 12 cylinder back in 1973. I saw the car race at Road America and Laguna Seca in 1973. Porsche even had a 2,000 hp 16 cylinder motor in case Team McLaren turbocharged its Reynolds 510 Big Block Chevrolets.

Soooo wish i was old enough to have seen those things.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Soooo wish i was old enough to have seen those things.
They were insane. It was at a time when Porsche wanted to break out of the stereotype of flat 6 cylinder 911's. They wanted to demonstrate they were capable of taking on the world's best whether it be Ferrari or any other company. It really was incredible because up until that time, Porsche was only racing a 2 liter flat 6 cylinder motor. To trump Chevrolet, Ford and Ferrari with a motor even bigger and more powerful was truly an engineering triumph.

·
Banned
531 Posts
Porsche does AWD mighty fine too. 959. One of the best sports cars of all time. Oh it won Paris-to-Dakar in its day...probably one of the most brutal tests of endurance and reliability.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.