8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
you'd need an engine, a couple of gears in the tranny... umm, some tires? and tons of race fuel. yeah. like 1,500 octane. that'll do it.

j.k.

I beat a turbo talon with my old 1996 Mercury Mystique... lol idk how that happened. Since then I kinda laugh every time I see one. They're fast when modded though. If its just stock with I/E, it's ~200-210 Flywheel HP, and much less at the wheel. It's also ~2800 lbs curb weight.

I'd say with equal drivers the SI would take it bone stock (better gearing, ect...)

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
you'd need an engine, a couple of gears in the tranny... umm, some tires? and tons of race fuel. yeah. like 1,500 octane. that'll do it.

j.k.

I beat a turbo talon with my old 1996 Mercury Mystique... lol idk how that happened. Since then I kinda laugh every time I see one. They're fast when modded though. If its just stock with I/E, it's ~200-210 Flywheel HP, and much less at the wheel. It's also ~2800 lbs curb weight.

I'd say with equal drivers the SI would take it bone stock (better gearing, ect...)
agreed

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
arent the 1995-1998's 210 Flywheel hp and 214 tq stock? how much at the wheels do u think he's putting down?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
210HP flywheel, ~190-198hp crank. Talons got torque, they got higher top end. Better start being AWD and turbo'd!
197HP flywheel, ~175-182hp crank. Civics got 6th gearr, they got launch little torque, but Vtec makes up in it in the mid RPM's.

I had a 1999 GSX before this Civic SI and I ran 15.0 stock with 12 PSI. I upped my PSI to 15 and ran a 14.7 on a good summer nights. The civic has a higher chance beating a DSM on hot days since turbo lags and heat soats, etc since turbo cars gets hot faster on a stock small turbo.

From launch DSM takes you but you'll gain on him beginning of 3rd and be dead even to the 1/4mile but DSM will start to pull away from you slowly on 4th-5th gear.

From a 30mph roll, (Do it at the track). AWD needs their wheels transferred to gain all 4 wheels, while FWD can beat AWD from a roll.

·
Registered
525 Posts
210HP flywheel, ~190-198hp crank. Talons got torque, they got higher top end. Better start being AWD and turbo'd!
197HP flywheel, ~175-182hp crank. Civics got 6th gearr, they got launch little torque, but Vtec makes up in it in the mid RPM's.

I had a 1999 GSX before this Civic SI and I ran 15.0 stock with 12 PSI. I upped my PSI to 15 and ran a 14.7 on a good summer nights. The civic has a higher chance beating a DSM on hot days since turbo lags and heat soats, etc since turbo cars gets hot faster on a stock small turbo.

From launch DSM takes you but you'll gain on him beginning of 3rd and be dead even to the 1/4mile but DSM will start to pull away from you slowly on 4th-5th gear.

From a 30mph roll, (Do it at the track). AWD needs their wheels transferred to gain all 4 wheels, while FWD can beat AWD from a roll.
I really doubt the 1995 Talon gearbox, chassis and drivetrain is as efficient in transferring flywheel horsepower to the wheel. Same thing happens with the RSX-S. Rates at 210 BHP, gets less HP to wheel than the SI.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Talon are slow stock, for a 14 year old car if it's still stock it probably lost a lot of hp already. Now if the Talon did a little mod, like downpipe put some boost control, intake and exhaust it's bye bye. They probably running low 14's high 13's.
And talon with all wheel drive will loss a lot of power to the wheel, Stock talon dynoes like 170-180whp and run low mid 15's

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Talon's got exhaust and an intake. what mods would i need to take him?
3inch exhaust I would suppose? With an intake and exhaust and if the DSM is still in good health - I'd say you need I/H/E to take him.

He has the upper hand as more airflow is going out and his turbo breathing better with faster response time.

But then DSM's are DSM's, it's anyone's victory. :vtec: him and see the results. When you do, tell us the story. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
hahahahhaha.
as for modded ones. my brothers friend has one pusing 15 pounds.. swears up and down he would have no problem with my "little 4 banger" i don't get it either as he has a 4 also. but he laughed cuz i told him i'm only boosting 5psi and he was like dude you would get smoked i run 15. i'm like ok.. needless to say he didnt even come close to me. not within a mile it seemed. lol.

not to say some can't be fast. i've seen some dsm's done right runnign 12's so its all relative. anything can be fast

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright thanks guys i had a feeling i would have to run a I/H/E set up which im doing anyways! ill be sure to tell the story when its all said and done :p

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright correction.. my friends gave me the wrong info! its a 1990-1994 Talon 5spd turbo dohc I4 with an exhaust putting him just over 200 hp. Take him stock or need i/h/e still?

·
Banned
85 Posts
I/H/E is a good combination mods to your car anyway so if you have budget doing it, just go for it. As for beating the Talon, try him with your stock. If you can drive well enough and shift your car fast (without 3rd gear problem during the trial), I think you can pass him.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think we are all forgetting that the Talon is losing MUCH more to the wheels because of AWD. AWD kills you in mid and top end, the space between the drivetrain and the wheels sucks up like 30% of the power.

That's why you always see older Gallardos getting beat by C6s from a roll. AWD simply takes too much power.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Just trail it and see the results! I'm pretty sure you'll lose. My 99GSX with an Intake/turbo back exhast won by (06 SI coupe-intake) him trailing from behind my rear end. My bet is that you'll lose stock.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
no dsm's can be fast when they are running. my friend scared the **** out of me in his 2nd gen eclipse. running 30lbs with built motor we hit a buck sixty no prob and was still pulling. it would leave a cbr600rr like it was standing still.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts