8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I recently got the beloved Civic I have been saving up for. Got a Crystal Black Pearl '09 coupe EX with manual. It's my first stick car, so it took me about 2 weeks to get fully used to it/good at it. I've had it for a month, and I have no problems shifting or anything, but my second gear seems very clunky sometimes. Most of the time it is when I'm going down from 3rd to 2nd. Quite often it feels clunky and even difficult to get it in the gear. Just today I accidently grinded (ground?) the gears because of it. It's not nice and smooth like all the others. Every once in a while it is clunky when going from 1st to 2nd.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it? The car has about 1,100 miles on it so far.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Are you a believer in a higher power? If not, now is probably a good time to start, as it's gonna take a lot of prayin'.

Given you're new, and you're bound to get a bunch of rude people telling you to "search" or getting snappy with you as "we've covered this before", I'll spare you their wrath and help you out.

The Civic's MT is finicky. In my years here I have seen several threads and many posts about R18 (non-Si) owners complaining about notchiness in second, third, and fourth. The Si seems to be the more common problem.

After several years and countless complaints, Honda released a TSB fix for the Si's transmission, which replaces the syncros. Most people's experiences with the 'fix' has been positive. Some of ours, mine included, haven't changed at all.

Sadly, nothing has been acknowledged for the R18 except a Janaury 2007 Honda Service News Bulletin (you can find my archive by using the search button and looking for "Honda Service News Bulletin) which advises techs to change the manual transmission fluid on cars who complain about notchiness or gear kick outs.

Spare yourself the trouble of fighting with a useless dealer, and buy some Amsoil or GM Syncromesh transmission fluid. I'm willing to bet with your EX, it will solve it right off the bat.

Hope this helps, bud. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd like to know that as well. I'm assuming I would have to take it somewhere to have someone else change it.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I've seen people on here tell me that their dealerships said "It will void your warranty because it's not Honda approved", but the dealers I've went to said it wouldn't matter.

Nevertheless, I sure as hell wouldn't mention to them I'm using Amsoil. Why give them any reason to say "no".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts