8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought this 09 Civix EX sedan for only $500 and it’s mechanically perfect. I had my mechanic inspect it with his snapon OB2 tool and he said it’s in great shape. Only light on is something about the evap system nbd. Only thing that is slightly annoying is that my odometer doesn’t work while I’m driving but when I crank it up it will flash the mileage then the service light will only stay at 1235 and the odometer says -9999 and flashes. Any clue what this is and the fix for it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a Service Light Code. If you haven't done your oil change, this light pops up letting you know its time to change the oil (in reality, code A1235 means you have to do more than a simple oil change). This car probably hasn't been serviced for awhile (Or the PO did his own oil changes and never reset the light).

If the oil hasn't been replaced in a while, i would suggest changing it, then resetting the Maintenance Light.

To reset it, press and hold SELECT/RESET button near the left side of the steering wheel until the numbers start to flash.
After that, press and hold again, and that should reset the light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a Service Light Code. If you haven't done your oil change, this light pops up letting you know its time to change the oil (in reality, code A1235 means you have to do more than a simple oil change). This car probably hasn't been serviced for awhile (Or the PO did his own oil changes and never reset the light).

If the oil hasn't been replaced in a while, i would suggest changing it, then resetting the Maintenance Light.

To reset it, press and hold SELECT/RESET button near the left side of the steering wheel until the numbers start to flash.
After that, press and hold again, and that should reset the light.
I tried that and it was to no avail but the miles reading starts to flash as soon as I turn the car on. Any other idea what it could be?

·
Registered
32 Posts
has the onboard computer ever been replaced? it could be something faulty with some sort of piece in there due to water, heat or moisture, unsure of your climate but I know here in fl, parking my old mpv outside eventually caused the computer to die and flicker, nothing quite like what you are experiencing tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it's a issue you'll end up putting more money into than u spent on it u could sell it to me for $1000 I'll get it off your hands n you'll have enough to buy another car lmk 7077045448 or [email protected]

·
Registered
32 Posts
did I spot an aftermarket stereo unit in your video? if that has been replaced from the factory original that will cause the computer to fault and have your exact issue.

this is what I was able to find from other forums.

The odometer flashing is due to needing a proxi alignment. What that means is one of the devices on the CAN bus is out of sync with the others. The dealership can do this for you, and the price varies with each location. You can also do this procedure yourself if you have access to an OBDLink MX and an application called AlfaOBD

It's a proxy alignment issue. The BCM expects to "talk" to the radio over CAN bus, if it's not the original radio and you don't put a CAN bus adapter, it will continue blinking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts