8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an almost seven year old car. Pretty sweet ride. Couldn’t expect better mileage. Love the new safety features. But for some reason my key hasn’t been working for the past two days? Do you think calling a locksmith will prove to be too expensive?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The dealer would cut the key by the vin so if nothing has been changed you'd be good but some locksmiths can use like a clay key to see how the tumbler is keyed and can make a key off that but you'll have to go to the dealer if you want it to crank the car

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is an almost seven year old car. Pretty sweet ride. Couldn’t expect better mileage. Love the new safety features. But for some reason my key hasn’t been working for the past two days? Do you think calling a locksmith will prove to be too expensive?
It depends upon the type of problem as Locksmith is unable to make the remote key. That key is only available to the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If everything worked just fine before could it be the battery in the fob? I know that it have the security chip in it but I am unsure if it is dependent upon the battery (in the fob) to function.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds strange that the key would lose coding like that. Usually doesn't lose the programming from disconnecting the battery or if the fob battery goes dead. Also call around to some locksmiths, there are some that have purchased a Honda HDS computer and can program on site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
This post was created over two years ago. I'd like to think he got around to phoning a locksmith by now lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes i have gone through the post and the problem has been resolved too earlier so there is no need of locksmith. They have been called only when you have problems with car or home security.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts