8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was on my lunch break, a buddy and I drove by the VW dealership. We stoped to look at the 2008 R32. The salesman came out and we began the whole B.S. procedure. Long story short ... I was able to drive the car.

First - Seemed to have more room than the SI up front and def. had more head room. My friend was in the back, said that there was a little less room than the SI. Very Small trunk. Sound System was weak, suppost to be the "premium sound system". Overall the interior was nice at best.

The exhaust sounded great. It had a very low growl. When the car first drove up I thought it was going to be a very fast car.

The car was fun to drive but seemed to be lacking power. I felt that the SI would beat it on the low end. Up high the R32 being 250hp/ V6 would run away. I drove it around town for a little while. Now real place to open it up. I did manage to get enough room at a redlight to see what it could do. I floored it and it seemed to lag abit. I think the salesman nearly crapped himself when I got on it... lol! If there had been more open road the R32 probably could have done better. I was driving in town during lunch traffic.I dont know that I would feel comfortable pushing this car hard in the mountains or and twisty road.

Overall the car was nice and drove well. It is not the all amazing sports car that the dealer made it out to be. The car is def. not worth the 35/36,000.00 price tag. The GTI is probably the better buy (in my opinion)If you get a chance drive one and see for yourself.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
you feel that Si's can beat those down low? thats gotta be some wicked lag hehe. thanks for the review :wavey:

·
Registered
527 Posts
^^ I was thinking the same thing. How could the Si possibly be better down low? In the higher range of the powerband I could see it keeping up...

Also, isn't it a bit difficult to review power in a car filled with 3 (grown I'm assuming) men packed in?

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
My buddy has a 2002 VW r32, its a fun car to drive. We talked to somebody that also owns a the same generation r32 and he agrees that the 08 feels under powered. Over all, i wouldnt buy one.

They cost way to much ($33,000 msrp) for way to little (AWD, 3.2L v6 250hp) They arnt very fast cars. The only advantage is you could boost them and have a very fast AWD car that also has torque. But i would rather put the money into a Evo or STi. They also dont offer a manual transmission, there all automatic with tiptronics (paddle shifters) But this is just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
****, I didn't even know there was a new R32. 32k is a lot for a car with somewhat mediocre specs. I know it comes with leather and HIDs and everything, but I would certainly like a little more punch at that price point. Oh well, it's not really designed for me anyway. I'm sure someone will like it.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
I've got to say that I'm a little weary on your idea that an si would have a better chance "down low" than an awd 250 hp car. I would honestly think that it would be exactly the opposite.

Either way, thanks for the info and taking the time to let us know what you think. :thumb:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I feel that the SI has much faster acceleration than the R32. The R32 probably has a higher top speed being a 6cyl.

It is hard to test the power of a car with 3 grown men in it, But my SI seems to be faster. I have had 4 grown adults in my car and it still seems faster.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I work in the service department for VW and i got to take out the first r32 our dealership got for a test drive about a month ago. I was really not that impressed. I was expecting alot more for the money I would take a GTI over it any day

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
LOL. My buddy's wife just tradded in her '06 GTI for the R32. She wanted something that would be faster, AWD for the winter and made her feel younger. :biggrin:

·
Registered
302 Posts
sk33ny said:
My buddy has a 2002 VW r32, its a fun car to drive. We talked to somebody that also owns a the same generation r32 and he agrees that the 08 feels under powered. Over all, i wouldnt buy one.

They cost way to much ($33,000 msrp) for way to little (AWD, 3.2L v6 250hp) They arnt very fast cars. The only advantage is you could boost them and have a very fast AWD car that also has torque. But i would rather put the money into a Evo or STi. They also dont offer a manual transmission, there all automatic with tiptronics (paddle shifters) But this is just my two cents.
You mean a 2004, since that was the 1st year in the USA. And it's not a triptronic, its a DSG transmission. And boosted R32's were putting down like 600HP. EIPtunning created some crazy numbers.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
2008 Volkswagen r32 - 0-60 6.4 seconds
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan - 0-60 6.3 seconds

2008 Volkswagen r32 - 3600lbs 250hp
2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan - 2800lbs 200hp

The power-to-weight ratio is almost the exact same for both cars.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
achapman said:
You mean a 2004, since that was the 1st year in the USA. And it's not a triptronic, its a DSG transmission. And boosted R32's were putting down like 600HP. EIPtunning created some crazy numbers.
2004-2005 i guess (i really dont remember the year >.>), and DSG is based off tiptronics. So instead of remembering every companys name for it i just call them all tiptronics, because thats all they really are.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
achapman said:
AJP turbo can put down a lot too

·
Premium Member
11,200 Posts
R32s are over priced under performing cars for their category they hold nothing against an evo or a wrx STI...
I have driven in one and it was painfully slow and Im talking about the new ones. I totally feel this review is dead on. The exhaust note is sexy etc...

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
I drove a chipped 06 GTI the other day (260 whp--allegedly) and I was not at all impressed. Especially for the insane price tag (30k once you add some options)..., I can fully understand this R32 review...Is VW just getting lame or what? I mean a car for that price should be putting down 300 whp+

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
CaliGuy said:
I drove a chipped 06 GTI the other day (260 whp--allegedly) and I was not at all impressed. Especially for the insane price tag (30k once you add some options)..., I can fully understand this R32 review...Is VW just getting lame or what? I mean a car for that price should be putting down 300 whp+
stang puts it down to the rear wheels for 25k

1 - 20 of 26 Posts