8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To make things short and sweet.

Drop off 08 Si at dealership to repair a tiny paint damage from a rock which I spotted when I bought the car.

Dealership loan me out an 07 EX Civic Coupe AT for a few days.

I hate the EX. It doesn't even feel like vtec is even there. Then again it is AT.

I miss my Si. I hope dealership finishes tomorrow morning rather than 2-3 days.

Please come home Si :sadwavy:

----------------

~Edit~

Wth? How come this 07 EX has XM radio and I don't?!!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
XM Ready - no bump on the roof or after market RX antenna on the window = no XM :(

·
VIP Member
12,350 Posts
EX's VTEC is different to your Si's. Don't even bother trying to "feel" the VTEC in the R18-- you won't.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could say "it isn't that bad".

But then again, both cars are in two different worlds. EX focuses on being practically and economic.

Si is just the opposite.

Although I am driving the AT in the EX. I would like to try the MT version.

But as of now the AT Civic EX is :face-puke

My old beaters ('95 Avalon and '94 Maxima) are alot faster sadly.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Having driven an EX Sedan, Auto Tranny (20 months) vs my now current EX Manual Coupe (3+ months), also test drove two Si's Sedan & Coupe - I can definitely say I love my EX MT best.

As for max power/max torque - on an Auto you'll never feel it unless you have the throttle to the floor all the time (not going to happen). On my Manual, I can feel it ever so slightly kick in at about 5100 to 5300 RPM, but again to get into the max power/max torque range, there you'll have to be moving fast, as it seems to be both RPM and Speed controlled to keep things in check.

R18's and K20's have two different purposes in life (IMHO). So if you've always driven a K20, well anything w/ less HP will feel sluggish. However, I personally like getting 30+ MPG and ripping the tach into the 4-5k range daily. Something I couldn't justify on an Si with my some 50 to 65 mi/day commutes to work and back (lunch too) as I would get in the lower 20's with my more aggressive driving methods.

To each his own, as I can see why others would want a K20. My older long since traded in 1992 MX-6, 5 speed 2.0 liter 4 cyl was a lot faster (more like the Si) - but it also got 33 mpg on the same commute using 93 Octane (with 120K+ miles to boot) . . .

Not meant as a k20 vs R18 post - again, K20's are nice (I like them). I do say let your driving skills, needs, and usage dictate what you get - in engineer speak form fit function with cost and practicality.

-W

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good post Wally.

Ah I didn't mean to offend any EX owners. I driven the EX about 80-90 miles so far. It is nice to see the digital gas meter not move at all.

I would still love to try out the EX MT

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
hmm dumb question but I've never seen the needle go much beyond the 3 on the center gauge. And thats highway hills. Is high revs just something an MT can do?

Just wondering, technically my car has VTEC but will I ever "feel it?"

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Wally said:
As for VTEC - on an Auto you'll never feel it unless you have the throttle to the floor all the time (not going to happen).
I'm guessing you're talking about the R18. IIRC, iVTEC happens between 1000-3500rpm.

·
Registered
252 Posts
GoHuskies said:
hmm dumb question but I've never seen the needle go much beyond the 3 on the center gauge. And thats highway hills. Is high revs just something an MT can do?
Nah -an AT will also rev high, into 6k range too; BUT, it will feel like your foot is thru the firewall holding the throttle body wide open thrashing the engine.

If you are up to tossing it about (heh I did when I had an AT) do the following. :lildevil:
0) find a long stretch or interstate on ramp
1) make sure your baby is warm and snuggly (driven for about 10-15 min, so all the fluids are where they should be).
2) now from a dead stop (so it is in 1st gear), put your foot to the floor and DON'T let off, not one little itty bit!
3) the engine will scream and run thru the AT gears like a mad man, running the tach up to 6k for each shift
4) at 3rd gear, ~75+ mph, the max power/max torque of the engine should kick in at ~5200 rpm and you'll feel a little, small burst of power
5) as the next shift comes you'll fall back into the 3k range and should feel it again for 4th gear going into the ~5000+ range (~95 mph)
6) for fifth gear, DON'T (even if you can tolerate the speed now, 100+ ) the car will do the same; however, at that point you are much more concerned about traffic and stripes blurring together than feeling for power band change over - Strongly not suggested as your really risking life limb here ***
** note, I don't condone anyone speeding. 100+ mph is easy as AT's are geared taller in all gears than the MT (to the tune of 500-1000 less RPM). 100+ MPH at 4500 rpm is easy in an R18 AT, and still not into the high power band (at least it was on my 06 Sedan when I had it ;)

GoHuskies said:
Just wondering, technically my car has VTEC but will I ever "feel it?"
Yes - but no where near what an Si does. However, an R18 with MT allows you to control the Rev's and hold the shift points longer at lower speeds - so yeah, R18's w/ MT can get into the max power/max torque band easier than AT's. AT's will do the same, as noted above, but they need a lot of "encouragement" :biggrin: to do so.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Wally said:
As for VTEC - on an Auto you'll never feel it unless you have the throttle to the floor all the time (not going to happen). On my Manual, I can feel it ever so slightly kick in at about 5100 to 5300 RPM, but again to get VTEC there you'll have to be moving fast, as it seems to be both RPM and Speed controlled to keep things in check.
Actually the R18's VTEC is alot diff than the K20s. Your VTEC kicks in when you start the car and when you hit 3500 it activates the 2nd intake valves if i am correct.

·
Registered
252 Posts
av911 said:
I'm guessing you're talking about the R18. IIRC, iVTEC happens between 1000-3500rpm.
Yeah - R18, EX. Engines are tame, until you push it up over 5K - again from my limited experience.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm not a dyno guy - but from the seat of the pants - R18's don't really change until 5k or so. Just my point of view - no technical data to say otherwise.
-W

·
Registered
252 Posts
OK - I'm using the VTEC term incorrectly here - Power boost/high output kicks in over 3500 RPM and max's out at 6000 rpm (pretty much what I've noted).

-W

PS: corrected my terminology accordingly

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've been driving my ex MT since June, it's been pretty fun on my commute, I'm used to a more powerful car, but when you learn the power curve in the car you can still chuck it about in the corners and have some fun.

I'm morally opposed to any AT transmission unless its a DSG type. So that should be said. heh.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Obsidian6 said:
I'm morally opposed to any AT transmission ..
Amen to that. My wife was PO'd when I traded in the AT Sedan to get the MT Coupe. Mainly b/c she can't drive a MT.

Well - lets see - in 20 months, she drove the AT no less than 4x, for no more than 12 miles each time (men know this as their cars are the 2nd significant other, sometimes it is their primary!) :biggrin:

So justifying the MT Coupe was a mental breeze, as I spend 1 hr+ driving/day; and, well I was facing withdrawal from the MT anyway (driven MT for all my cars but the Sedan).

You're correct - knowing where the power band is, makes for a different driving experience on a MT.

-W

PS: can't wait to get that short shifter kit & bushings I ordered today . .

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
EX and Si server two entirely different purposes. I'd love an Si, but I can't justify the lower fuel economy and cost of premium fuel when I drive over 400 miles a week.

Si are damn sexy and I wish I had to money to properly support one.

For the DD, MPG and "I-drive-way-too-much" purposes, the EX is a dream, though. :thumb:

Yeah, it's slower, but my wallet likes me -- especially when gas is over $3.00 like it is here.

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
DTNguyen107 said:
To make things short and sweet.

Drop off 08 Si at dealership to repair a tiny paint damage from a rock which I spotted when I bought the car.

Dealership loan me out an 07 EX Civic Coupe AT for a few days.

I hate the EX. It doesn't even feel like vtec is even there. Then again it is AT.

I miss my Si. I hope dealership finishes tomorrow morning rather than 2-3 days.

Please come home Si :sadwavy:

---------------

man!!!!

u should be thankful the dealer gave u a loaner...... ID be jumping up and down had he given me an EX

and there are R18 owners here..... u couldve said sumthing postive

my GOD people are immature

"Please come home Si" wtf is this **** ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts