8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi!!
First off I want to say I love my 08 civic si!! This coming from a guy who drove mustangs and camaros for the longest time! Actually I still do, but only on the track. Any ways I need a little help.

To make a long story short, my electric steering rack needs to be replaced or “adjusted” if there is such a thing. I was involved in a pretty aggressive wreck which has caused the steering rack to “jump” teeth. I get an audible bump when turing the wheel either direction, and even worse, I have 3 ½ turns to lock going left and only 1 ½ turns to lock going right:{ So the thing is off, I get know warnings lights whatsoever . How can I fix this?

*IS there a way to adjust the steering rack?

*Can I just replace the rack? I was told from the sears alignment shop that only the dealer can do this, due to the electric motor needs to be recalibrated to the steering wheel.

Well guys thanks for the help, I guess you can say I’m a noob when it comes to this car, but I have been racing road race cars for years now and would love to get this thing to the track!!!

·
Wanna be troll
5,740 Posts
The dealer isn't the only place capable of replacing a steering rack. I had my rack and pinion replaced at my local auto shop since mine snapped. I'm not sure if it can be adjusted, but I had the same problem where turning was longer on 1 side. An alignment surprisingly fixed that lol. They adjusted my steering wheel as well. If you were in a bad wreck, I'd replace it regardless. It may be weakened and could give out at anytime.. Luckily the shop saw that it was cracked while replacing my tranny...GL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts