8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Just wanted to give a personal review of the Si Sedan, because it is a great car, and I want everyone to know that! To give a background, my other current car is an S2000 and previous to that was an '02 LS1 Camaro SS and an Acura TL 6-speed with A-Spec suspension.

Style: The styling to me, is great. For a compact car, Honda didn't skimp on style with the Civic line. There are definite traces of TL in it. Inside, I love the space age, 2-tier dash layout. It is pretty cool. Having a shift light is pretty awesome as well. The interior plastic materials are very nice, befitting of a more expensive car. The seats fit me perfect. Excellent support for sporty driving, yet they are very comfortable for trips. The suede/cloth combo is really good looking as well. The inside is very spacious for a compact. Tons of room in the front and back, and the trunk is huge!!

Ride: This car handles fantastically! The ride is better than my '04 TL, and the Si handles almost on par with the S2000. This car, when pushed to its limits, is no joke. I noticed with the Si that I can take all of my favorite corners nearly as fast as I can as I do in the S2000. The balance is very neutral and I do not notice understeer that much at all...amazing for a front wheel drive car. I would very much like to take this to a track day.

Engine/Transmission: What can you say about Honda engines that have not already been said? Simply put...amazing. It pulls hard in VTEC as you would suspect. The transmission is smooth like butter. It doesn't have the direct shifting feel of my S2000, but then again few other cars do. I wish for shorter throws however...so I will be looking for a short-shifter soon. For the first 600 break-in miles I was getting 23-24 mpg city, but since the break in, I just cannot keep out of VTEC :vtec::vtec: and thusly, the economy has suffered a bit down to the 20-21 mpg range. I have not taken the car on a long trip, but I would suspect the Si to achieve 30+ on the highway. My S2000 can get 30 mpg on the highway, I see no reason why the Si cannot. See, performance car fans...you can have your cake and eat it too.

Those were the pros...here are the cons: There are naggling little quality issues. The door panel trim is loose where it meets the end of the front door and produces a rattle in both front doors. Honda EPT and some refitting will fix this when I bring it in, but it is a bit surprising that this quality issue is there for Honda. Also a bit surprising is the high cost of insurance. Apparently, in speaking with my insurance carrier...the Si has a high rate of claims. I don't know if the claims are because of thefts or stupid drivers smashing them up, but it is a little disappointing to be paying a high rate for a car that is only 20k.

Conclusion: I have to say after a bit over a month and 1500 miles, this car is thoroughly impressive, particularly at the price Honda sells it for. I felt ripped off for even having owned a TL now, when this Si does the job as well or better. I just hope that Honda could grace us with the Type-R. I would sell both the Si and S2000. That would save me some money on car insurance :biggrin:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Great review! The Si is a great car!:thumb: It's really cool to hear such great things about the Si from a S2000 owner.:dancing: +rep :biggrin:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great review, but as a former TL owner and current G37 owner, I have to disagree about those being "rip-offs" in comparison to the Si. I love my Si but the TL and the G37 feel many steps up. And they are, so it's not that I hold the Si at fault for that. It's a very nice entry level sports car - but it doesn't play in the league that they do.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Great review, but as a former TL owner and current G37 owner, I have to disagree about those being "rip-offs" in comparison to the Si. I love my Si but the TL and the G37 feel many steps up. And they are, so it's not that I hold the Si at fault for that. It's a very nice entry level sports car - but it doesn't play in the league that they do.
Nice! A G37 and a Si!:thumb: I have a G35 and a Si.:vtec:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Very nice review, GPMike. I'm just hitting 3000 miles and am equally as pleased as you.

When I was pricing Si's, I also shopped insurance (300/100, comp, collision, $500 deductible (age 42, clean license)) with Allstate, Nationwide, Geico, and Progressive. Geico beat them all by a bunch at $472/year. The next closest was Progressive at $600/year.

Interestingly enough, Geico couldn't touch Allstate for my motorcycle insurance. It used to save money having everything with one carrier, but it doesn't seem that having all your eggs in one basket pays off these days!

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Totally agreed.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Good write up Mike! but as you showed me, taken right from the moneywatch site:

Car of the Year: Honda Civic Si. When you put together the total package -- styling, fit, finish, reliability, long life and heaping helpings of fun to drive, nothing tops the Si for the money. The experts say that the price of petrol is going to do nothing but go up, so we might as well make the best of it. Yes, one has to keep the revs at silly levels to extract all that this car has (0 to 60 mph in about 6.5 seconds) but the Honda fours have always been like that. Add some great handling into the stew, a comfortable and somewhat futuristic interior, and for an affordable price of $22K or so you have our car of the year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts