8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive had my 08 Si for about 2 weeks now, im starting to pick up on the problems with it. 2nd gear grinds if you shift it hard at redline (pretty lame if you ask me, since redline is essential to getting any more power out of the Si than a base model)... the drivers window rattles something nasty if opened about 3/4" inch... higher or lower its fine. Also turning VSA off doesnt always work, sometimes it still cuts throttle when i slam second hard enough to spin/chirp even with VSA off and the dash indicator on.

but my biggest gripe right now... i coulda swore that the power was not the same every day, but i was willing to accept that maybe its in my head... i dont have a lot of experience with a car of this range... my DD has been a slow ass truck for years until now, and my other car has 4 times the power of this Si.. so i didnt really have a frame of reference in this type of car.

FYI, my Si is currently BONE STOCK. I put premium in it all the time.

so to confirm what i thought i was feeling i loaded up the dynolicious program on my iphone... regardless of precisely how accurate it is, i can repeat results and see that for sure i am getting inconsistent power. i did a few runs a couple nights ago... i wasnt really pleased with a 15.4 in the 1/4 but it was wet so my 60' was 3.0 and im hoping to achieve a 15.0 if the roads ever get totaly dry... but anyway was getting about the same numbers over and over using the same aggressive driving technique.

then tonight the car felt super slow to me so i tried it again driving the same. tonight its running low 16's in the same somewhat wet conditions with the same 3.0 60'. so then im pissed and i give it a BEST SHOT run, slamming the gears as fast as i possibly can (even tho this causes a grind in 2nd gear), and i no lift shift the other changes and i get a whopping 15.6 with another 3.0 wet 60'.

so, to get more meaningful numbers from the data i decided to take the driver out of the equation and look at how the car accelerates from one speed to another inbetween gear changes, i used 4th gear since it will display the problem the best.

the first night i was doing 80-90mph in 2.6 seconds. tonight 80-90 was 2.98 seconds. so 3 tenths difference just over 10mph.... that is pretty significant as the car shouldnt even have 3 tenths difference over an entire quarter mile. once again, the 80-90 numbers are just pulled out from the middle of a 4th gear pull so it doesnt matter how it was driven as long as WOT thru 4th.

wtf is wrong with this car?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
wtf is wrong with this car?

Not trying to insult you or your method (at testing your car/ life enjoyment) however I would like to point you closer to the right direction.

1. (Pending if this is a new car) It is probably not best for the car if you are thrashing it immediately after purchasing it (I do not care what people say, the engine to some degree needs to be able to break in (hence why you are not supposed to put highway miles on it right away)). Especially since the 2nd gear is giving you issues, take it easy on it or take it to the dealership (if you have not voided the warranty or caused reason for concern that you over rev'd by possibly miss-shifting).

2. Although dynolicious is a very good application (as you said it does have inaccuracies). On top of the fact that there are so many other variables that came into play each time the "testing" was performed. There will be absolutely no way you are going to get consistent results.

3. Going off my last point, I hope you were "testing" on a track because excessive speed and wreck-less driving is not condoned on this website. I would reevaluate many things before attempting things like this on public roads so that others are not endangered because someone feels their new car is inconsistently producing power.

4. You have/should have a warranty. Take it back if you feel it is not running at optimum level. As much as I hate the service center at Honda, they are obligated to fix a problem, should there be one. It does have to be causing the problem when you bring it in, otherwise they will send you off on your way. Leave the Iphone at home, they will laugh at you if you try to show them your slow 60' times.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Not trying to insult you or your method (at testing your car/ life enjoyment) however I would like to point you closer to the right direction.

1. (Pending if this is a new car) It is probably not best for the car if you are thrashing it immediately after purchasing it (I do not care what people say, the engine to some degree needs to be able to break in (hence why you are not supposed to put highway miles on it right away)). Especially since the 2nd gear is giving you issues, take it easy on it or take it to the dealership (if you have not voided the warranty or caused reason for concern that you over rev'd by possibly miss-shifting).

2. Although dynolicious is a very good application (as you said it does have inaccuracies). On top of the fact that there are so many other variables that came into play each time the "testing" was performed. There will be absolutely no way you are going to get consistent results.

3. Going off my last point, I hope you were "testing" on a track because excessive speed and wreck-less driving is not condoned on this website. I would reevaluate many things before attempting things like this on public roads so that others are not endangered because someone feels their new car is inconsistently producing power.

4. You have/should have a warranty. Take it back if you feel it is not running at optimum level. As much as I hate the service center at Honda, they are obligated to fix a problem, should there be one. It does have to be causing the problem when you bring it in, otherwise they will send you off on your way. Leave the Iphone at home, they will laugh at you if you try to show them your slow 60' times.
Your post helps him to the tune of not at all. Congratulations.

Oh btw, the dynolicious app results are so repeatable it's not even funny. Don't dismiss it so quickly...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
^^ I was restating what he said (about the dynolicious application).

Maybe you are not able to understand what I said or where I was coming from with my post.

If you are speeding on the road, stop.

If there is a problem or you think there is a problem with your car take it to the garage to get it looked at.

I think it was your post that was useless, uninformative and unnecessary. Thank you for belittling mine. You are a great asset to the site.

·
Banned
30 Posts
hmm. thats strange because i have an 06 si and i have been experiencing the same problem. i thought it was all in my head also but after reading this it makes me wonder. does anyone else have this problem? any ideas?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 I bought the car with 5500 miles on it.

2 dynolicious only confirmed what I was positively noticing... The loss is very noticable and the app noticed it to.. I don't live by dynolicous it's just another tool

3 I own a private airport where I can race my civic

4 I will end up at Honda eventually but collectively a good forum far surpasses a dealer tech in knowledge and usefulness

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
^^Please do not feel like you need to defend yourself to my comments. I just wanted to bring some idea to light as to a possibility of why you were receiving the results you were.

Unfortunately as I stated in my second post, the other member here made my post seem hostile and negative. I did not by any means want it to sound that way.

I apologize if it did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts