8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the yesterday my 08 Si has developed a noise at idle that sounds similar to a bad pulley or a bad throw out bearing. The car has 172k so it may be time for it’s second clutch (though I haven’t experienced any performance issues yet) but the noise doesn’t change if the clutch pedal is depressed or not. I even tried clamping the PCV hose to see if it changed like I’ve seen some people have success with, only to not have the noise change.
Wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue or had any input so I have an idea of what to tear apart.

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Temporarily remove the serpentine belt and start it. If no more noise then you know it’s narrowed down to water pump, ac, idlers, etc...

If noise still present then it can get tricky. Could be chain tensioner. Known issue on high mileage motors. Recommend new chain and guides plus new OEM tensioner if so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • Temporarily remove the serpentine belt and start it. If no more noise then you know it’s narrowed down to water pump, ac, idlers, etc...

If noise still present then it can get tricky. Could be chain tensioner. Known issue on high mileage motors. Recommend new chain and guides plus new OEM tensioner if so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That was the plan for after work today, I haven’t noticed any cracking in the belt but I’d have to take it off to be sure. I just did a full timing kit on my brothers RSX when I was back home and had all my tools, now I’m without the majority of my tools and a garage so I’m hoping it’s not time for a timing kit. But if it is, I can’t really complain, I’ve had 0 issues with the car and I’ve had it for almost 60k miles.
  • Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The top idler pulley has gone bad. I have replaced mine twice in 262k.
Just bought a belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and PCV valve yesterday and will have them on tonight.
The idler bearing didn’t have any play, the tensioner pulley had a little play in the bearing and the pcv had the rattle that was noticed with the clamping method.
I ran the car with no accessory belt on and still noticed a slight noise, however it could have been paranoia.
I’m going to be planning ahead for a full timing kit replacement because I know in the almost 60k of ownership I’ve never done it, and I have no repair records from the previous owner of even a tensioner replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These have timing chains and there are no set service intervals to replace them.
I know this, but in 172k miles there is likely some stretch in the chain. So If I’m going to do the tensioner, why not do the guides and chain too?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Inline Pro has a modded OEM tensioner for the K20 that's never failed me, or anyone I know who has gotten one.
No breaking, no cheap material, just better than OEM reliability.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s the one I was looking into honestly. Now I’m Just debating on doing the chain and guides at the same time.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I also went with a K-Tuned TCT cover, because it's just better.

On a high milage engine, definitely replace worn guides, unless you want the engine to be cracked open again....
Do it all at once. Reliability, and peace of mind. You don't want to worry bringing your car up to 6000 to 8000 rpm, where the engine lives.

TODA makes a great timing chain, though OEM is good enough for supercharged or turbo racing abuse.

Hope all goes well.

Peace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was the plan, to replace everything while I’m in there. I literally just did all of this including a Drag Cartel TCT cover and lower guide to my brothers 02 rsx-s like 10 months ago. It’s just a hassle cause I recently moved across country and left all my tools back home. So now I’m without a garage and the majority of my tools to do it all. I’m looking into shipping options for my toolbox, but it’s gonna be kinda hard considering it’s a matco triple bay.
Kind of at a standstill not driving at the moment just to ensure the tensioner doesn’t give out, regardless of how likely or unlikely it is. Luckily my lady and I only work 5 minutes from each other so carpooling has been and will be the primary means of transportation for the time being.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
440act
8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
We’re a community for 8th Gen 2006 - 2011 Civic owners to discuss performance mods, body kits, Si models, turbo kits and accessories. Come Join the club!
Full Forum Listing