8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 Civic Random issue SpeedoMeter, All Guages & AC stopped working all Cel lights on?

Hello all. Anyone encountered this specific issue. I have done extensive search and people had similar issue but no proper solutions posted.
I have 2008 Honda civic Lx. runs and drives perfect untill This morning.

5 days ago car had simple oil and filter change and parked it in my driveway. Turn it on Today and WOW tpms light check engine light Airbag Light came on . I try resetting by disconnecting the battery and offcourse no luck . drove the car to find out both diginal and analog speedometer not working fuel and Temp Guage not working. (both the top and bottom guages light up properly and once you turn the key to on position Temperature guage goes all the way to top and bottom how it suppose to) The Gear selection light which turns Green next to P,N,D is not turning on and Ac is blowing hot air . I have had minor low gas issue with Ac 2 weeks ago so not sure if this problem effected the A/c or not honestly.

Car runs perfect no loss of power i drove it 30-40 miles everything is working perfect how it suppose to .

I live in miami and took it to one mechanic shop I know just by looking at it for literally 3 seconds he sais $1200 to fix I was liek what Da???? you didnt see what the problem is it might just be a fuse but thats how Miami is all scammers...

Anyone can pleaseeeee help me whats going on I am a poor man this is my bread and butter my work car and if i loose this i have nothing . so before I get ripped off by people I posted this here to see if anyone can help me please....
Thank you so much in advance god bless!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I try resetting by disconnecting the battery and offcourse no luck . !
Did you take the battery out and have it load tested? Autozone or any place similar can do that for you.

Or if you have a multi-meter;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJUuLu1cw0

Cars do some funky stuffs when batteries get old. At least make sure the easiest most obvious problem isn't the issue first.

/I wonder how many dealers get cars towed in with bad batteries.

·
Registered
62 Posts
if all these lights came up and there's no problem with the drivability of the car; it must be a faulty speedometer; it might have a short circuit or something; i would first try to do a short circuit testing; then might try replacing it with a used speedometer off eBay.
the AC problem might be unrelated, like a low freon issue, pressure testing the AC system will tell what's going wrong. AutoZone rent a AC pressure test kit that might be helpful to you; also you might ask them to pull the check engine codes for you and see if there's any codes stored; if there's no codes or if they can't turn off the light then that's another indicator that something wrong with the speedometer

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry i was out of town for some family stuff anyways.
Got the car Checked out battery is good everything is fine car drive perfect. I got the car checked out my my mechanic who have a friend working for honda. According to him there is a communication error witht he computer of the car and for sure its the Ecu/Computer of the car needs to be replaced....anyone can give me idea is it easy to replace or any tips. he gave me pruce for 750 which is used Ecu including Labor ...I see them for sale on Ebay for 100-$150 max and lot of junk yards in miami have them ...What Should I dO? thank you

·
Registered
232 Posts
Fuse 23 (back-up) under-hood fuse box. All these symptoms indicate one shared, blown fuse. Check it. If its blown and a new one blows, its best to have it diagnosed what causes the fuse to blow. You may have shorted something.

And if this fixes it, I'm gonna fly there and slap your "honda tech" buddy with my thick calloused hands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay thanks man i will pick up the car from the shop tomorrow to bring it back to my place i will check that first and I really hope its that....he says because of communication error its the stupid ECU

·
Registered
232 Posts
okay thanks man i will pick up the car from the shop tomorrow to bring it back to my place i will check that first and I really hope its that....he says because of communication error its the stupid ECU
There's a comm error because none of those components will communicate with the ecm if there is no power to them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
okay understood so If i check that Fuse you mentioned and if its fine...any other steps you sugest I should do have this problem fixed..

·
Registered
232 Posts
Is your radio working? radio is powered by fuse 23. If that fuse is ok, you are isolated to the gauge control module and/or gauge assembly itself. Let me look into it on the weekend. I have to view the whole schematic from work.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
This definitely isn't a fuse issue.

OP, did the mechanic give you a DTC, if so, what was it?

If you don't know or can't remember, perform the gauge self diagnostic test and post what error code comes up. http://civic.hondafitjazz.com/A00/HTML/00/SNB6E00K73200000000BBAT20.html

You also might want to wiggle the wires at connector Q of the interior fuse block and at the connectors on the tach and speedo. Make sure the wires/pins are fully seated in the connectors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fuse 23 (back-up) under-hood fuse box. All these symptoms indicate one shared, blown fuse. Check it. If its blown and a new one blows, its best to have it diagnosed what causes the fuse to blow. You may have shorted something.

And if this fixes it, I'm gonna fly there and slap your "honda tech" buddy with my thick calloused hands.
OK I checked the Fuses all are good and #23 specifically and all looks okay, I drove the car back with no problem but same no guages.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This definitely isn't a fuse issue.

OP, did the mechanic give you a DTC, if so, what was it?

If you don't know or can't remember, perform the gauge self diagnostic test and post what error code comes up. How to Troubleshoot the Gauges

You also might want to wiggle the wires at connector Q of the interior fuse block and at the connectors on the tach and speedo. Make sure the wires/pins are fully seated in the connectors. [URL=http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg302/RRSpikes/Screenshot_2015-10-15-07-08-46-1-1.jpg]image
[/URL]
OKay I checked the connectors behind the fuse box and all seem okay. nothing is loose. I did the Self diagnostic check and all the lights came on Flashing (I think its suppose to be like that) and It was ERROR 1. Any siggestions what else should i look at....thanks so much for all your help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is your radio working? radio is powered by fuse 23. If that fuse is ok, you are isolated to the gauge control module and/or gauge assembly itself. Let me look into it on the weekend. I have to view the whole schematic from work.
yes checked the Radio it is working Fine. BTW if its the PCM?ECM ISsue, is it easy to remove ? I see lot of people on Ebay with excellent feedback redo/reprogramme Honda Ecu for $150-190 if you sent it to them and they send it back? is that a good option? only if for sure its the PCM/Ecu Issue if you guys thing? I would like to have cheap way out offcourse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wiring harness connector behind tachometer gauge , wires rubbing on frame. If you are having this issue I would definitely check this first

·
Registered
23 Posts
Could be a bad ground, I would check any grounds for continuity and rust.

ECM/PCM is very easy to replace. It's right in front of the fuse box under the hood. Just lift the plastic cover off of it and it's just 3-4 bolts holding it in. I can replace it in like 5 minutes.

When replacing the ECM/PCM, you have to get it reprogrammed by a dealer. Cost me $200 at my local honda dealer.

But if the lights aren't lighting up on the dash, it's seems more like a power issue rather than a communication problem. A communication problem fault can exist when there is no power because obviously the guage cluster can not communicate if it has no power.

What about your HVAC controls, do they have lights? Could explain the related A/C issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts