8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, first post here. ive got an 08 civic ex coupe and when i turn my vents on in my car it smells like death. i sprayed microban in the inlet to try and fix it but it didnt work. it stinks up my garage too. im not sure what to do i might just be dumb

·
Registered
525 Posts
Change your cabin air filter, It's behind the glovebox. Squeeze both sides of the glovebox to swing the whole unit down, then squeeze both tabs to the cabin air filter access to eject the cabin air filter. I change mine when it gets black/dusty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Change your cabin air filter, It's behind the glovebox. Squeeze both sides of the glovebox to swing the whole unit down, then squeeze both tabs to the cabin air filter access to eject the cabin air filter. I change mine when it gets black/dusty.
would that be what causes it to stink my garage up? thats whats really confusing me

·
Registered
525 Posts
would that be what causes it to stink my garage up? thats whats really confusing me
I mean if it hasn't been changed in years, then probably. It's very common for owners to not know what this filter is and let it be for years until a mechanic at a shop notices.

Hey, I would go check it right now - it takes less than 2 minutes to go see and it's $15 to get a new one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean if it hasn't been changed in years, then probably. It's very common for owners to not know what this filter is and let it be for years until a mechanic at a shop notices.

Hey, I would go check it right now - it takes less than 2 minutes to go see and it's $15 to get a new one.
word ill check it out.

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
It's that bad? If after the cabin filter change and the smell persists, take the blower out and clean it out. Could be there is debris on it or something. Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's that bad? If after the cabin filter change and the smell persists, take the blower out and clean it out. Could be there is debris on it or something. Good luck
thank you, part of me thinks something died underneath my car ngl

·
Registered
115 Posts
Easy to check and easy to replace, but not likely whats causing a smell outside the car in the garage.. check under the hood and make sue nothing has crwwled up in there and died

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Easy to check and easy to replace, but not likely whats causing a smell outside the car in the garage.. check under the hood and make sue nothing has crwwled up in there and died
under the hood looks good, replaced my filter, and i still have the smell. im gonna jack it up tmr and look

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen dead mice in the cabin filters, so could be. Hopefully that the problem. Good luck
filter was factory and smelled like death, so i got a new one. didnt fix it though. gonna jack the car up tomorrow and see if theres something dead down there

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
There is vent cleaner out there (look for videos, products at AutoZone/pepboys/etc). I see the mold on the dark part, of course I would spray it with something, but I would also try to get something there to wipe it down. Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is vent cleaner out there (look for videos, products at AutoZone/pepboys/etc). I see the mold on the dark part, of course I would spray it with something, but I would also try to get something there to wipe it down. Good luck
gotcha ill check it out, probably can stick a rag on a paint stick and wipe it down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sorry to bother again, but i couldnt get it to work right. the space is so tight i cant get my hand in there to wipe it down good. would it be safe to hit it with a hose or pressure washer? thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
i wouldn't touch with a hose/pressure while it's still on the car, too many wires harness and places unknown where the water might pool, then the smell will get nastier. Let me know on where/how to remove the blower motor. To remove the actual fan, you have to remove the whole assembly. There are products you can spray in there. Any autoparts store should have some or Amazon (google it). Armor All has a "neutralizer spray", give that a try. Let us know how that goes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i wouldn't touch with a hose/pressure while it's still on the car, too many wires harness and places unknown where the water might pool, then the smell will get nastier. Let me know on where/how to remove the blower motor. To remove the actual fan, you have to remove the whole assembly. There are products you can spray in there. Any autoparts store should have some or Amazon (google it). Armor All has a "neutralizer spray", give that a try. Let us know how that goes.
hmm okay, gotcha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts