8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I after my car was stopped for about 2 o 3 hours, i took of and the first i did was to rev to almost vtec, and i heard a really bad grinding metal , loud rasping high pich noise that went along with the revs. and only in the high revs

did the same in 2nd gear high reved and after the third high revs in first and second gear it started to go away.

this was about a 3 min ride.

was this because it was cold?

The second time the car was stopped for about an hour and 1/2, and the car temp was almost at half, or almost the normal . and the same happed.

Also I noted like a loss of power in those first minutes of hard acceleration.

Is this something weird or it is just something from k20z3 engines that have to be heated up. ( I've had many cars and I never take it on hard with the revs if the car is morning cold, but this was at noon after the car was driven. the engine was still a bit hot, just some 2 or 3 hours to cool down at the most.

also the car has something on the exhaust that make it sound a bit louder and deeper, is not the muffler it is stock, so it is something of the piping, but i dont think is because of it because i have vtec many times before after driveing a while and the car didnt make that sound

I just had my TSB 3rd gear overhaul done, and I got this car used with 15k miles about 3 weeks ago.

so should I take to the dealer, or should i wait to vtec even if i drove the car a few hours ago.

sorry for the writting second langage speaker here.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
In virtually any engine it's best to let it warm up a bit before applying high load or high revs. The Si even disables v-tec engagement until the engine gets above a certain temperature (possible reason for the feeling of lower power). So regardless of the noise I would recommend letting the engine warm up before giving high throttle or high revs.

However, it's possible the noise was due to an exhaust shield or something. Possibly something that expands and can't rattle any more when hot. The exhaust is all thin metal and cools down very quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts