8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

07 Sedan SI Condenser Replacement?

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  portabuddy 
#1 ·
Hey all, I am currently rebuilding my front end because of an accident, I have to replace my a/c condenser and evacuate it and recharge it. I know the evacuate and recharge has to be done by a mechanic but when I goto change the condenser is there anything I need to know? Its all bolt on from what I see. I just wanna make sure no fluids come shooting out when I attempt this.

#3 ·
My advice is if you have to ask, then you probably shouldnt. I used to work at a bodyshop and it took a special machine to evac and recharge. usually cost about 1.5 hours to do this- so about 75 bucks- your better off going to a body shop- your car cost 20K+ why would you want to screw it up?

#5 ·
I'm not sure what you are trying to ask but, If replace your condenser you will have to evacuate (of Refrigerant) it first. Once you do that it should be just loosening some fittings but once you put the new one on, you should check for leaks using nitrogen, then evacuate it into a good vacuum and then weigh in the proper charge of refrigerant.

#8 ·
Nothing should come out, if the system was compromised in the wreck. Otherwise you better discharge it safely or your going to get one hell of a blast if you just open the system up suddenly. Make sure all your rubber o-rings are new and if the system has been open to the atmosphere for a while, you better put a new dryer in too.

William
03 Pilot + 07 Civic.

#9 ·
wbcooksey said:
Nothing should come out, if the system was compromised in the wreck. Otherwise you better discharge it safely or your going to get one hell of a blast if you just open the system up suddenly. Make sure all your rubber o-rings are new and if the system has been open to the atmosphere for a while, you better put a new dryer in too.

William
03 Pilot + 07 Civic.
Ok now you got me worried, what do you mean by discharging and things blasting? LOL I thought all I do is unbolt and unhook old one and replace with new one. My mechanic is going to vaccuum and recharge.

#10 ·
well is ther any r134 in it still???, has it been in a accident then it has been evacuated, just remember the low side has about 50 psi and the high side has up to 300-400 psi while running, and the residual pressure (if any) can realy give you a good blast in the face...

also like wbcooksey said you now need a new reciver dryer... it holds the oil for the system and the refrigerant, if exposed to the air it collects water and is useless...

replace all the orings with new ones, they are only like $0.30 and sometimes come in a kit, i love parts that come in kit form...

#12 ·
The a/c system still works fine and the condenser is bent so its in my insurance estimate as to what has to be fixed so I have to do it even though the system works fine. So I guess this r134a stuff is in it, is it going to shoot out as a gas or liquid? Should I stand back or something after I remove the bolts or hoses? LOL You guys got me worried about doing this now.

#14 ·
Doeboy211 said:
The a/c system still works fine and the condenser is bent so its in my insurance estimate as to what has to be fixed so I have to do it even though the system works fine. So I guess this r134a stuff is in it, is it going to shoot out as a gas or liquid? Should I stand back or something after I remove the bolts or hoses? LOL You guys got me worried about doing this now.
You should be as its agaist FEDERAL LAW to allow refridgerant to esape out into the atmosphere.....

#17 ·
you know this is why they are releasing a propane based refrigerant that directly replaces r134a that costs the same, as if it wasn't expensive enough... we charge $14/lb.

its a liquid but escapes as a gas... also its carcinogenic, meaning it causes Cancer so get someone else to do it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.