8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may just be due to my poor searching skills, but I had a hard time finding any information on the factory amp location in a sedan. It was easy to find information about the coupe - the amp is located under the center console. Since I have an '07 Civic Si sedan with Navi, the coupe information didn't apply to my situation. Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone; the factory / stock amp in the '06 and '07 Civic sedan is located under the driver's seat. Following are some pictures I took of the amp location:

Seat removed, amp cover still on.

Amp cover removed.

Amp removed, with blue pre-amp (on left) and speaker-level (on right) connectors disconnected.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did you run new wires from your aftermarket amp to the speakers or did you plug in to the 20 pin connector with an aftermarket harness? If you used a speaker harness which one? Crutchfield has the $30 one with the long leads that should work but they don’t provide the pin out.

Thanks
jeff

·
Banned
29,254 Posts
whats up all?
now with the stock si sedan amp wires, would i be able to run an after market amp off of the stock wires that are from the stock amp?
maybe just extend the wires and route them to the after market amp?
if so is there a wire diagram.

ive been seraching for a few days here now while im at work so i dont think ne one has asked thanks
--jeff

·
Registered
158 Posts
For Premium sound or Nav you can unplug the factory amp altogether and connect an aftermarket amp to you HU. The standard audio system does not have an external amp. I make a harness for the Acura TSX that does this and this is what Fred used for his install with a JL amp. I’m hopping he will post a few photos. You will have to wire the speakers up to the 20 pin connector or run new wires but I think Crutchfield sells a bypass harness for this. (I haven’t tried the speaker wire harness but it should work). The small connector in the photo provides the HU line outputs and the amp turn on lead so it’s a no-splice deal. The only constraint is you must use amps with balanced differential inputs because the HU output is balanced differential and can’t connect to normal coaxial line inputs. The JL line and RF punch and power series feature this type of input circuitry.
The output of the HU is very clean and requires no additional EQ.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Sorry.. yeah I know it's an OOOOOOLD thread, just wanted to comment... THAT itty bitty thing is the factory amp?!?!

1st reaction is wow it does well for as little as it is, but 2nd reaction is, no wonder everyone's bypassing it. :)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Yeah how about that.. A guy could possibly avoid pulling dash panels altogether to do an amp install. How 'bout them apples?! :) Convenient or what?

Slap in mercman's harness, a five channel with balanced ins of your choice.. JL, Rockford or pdx-5 maybe.. use a crutchfield amp-bypass harness and you're done.. badda bing badda boom! :) It would be harder to run the silly power/ground wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi! I know this is old, but I'm trying a DIY audio installation and was planning to connect a JL j2 amplifier using high level inputs? where should I connect them? i was hoping you guys can guide me which wire leads to the Front left and front right speaker etc... thanks

·
Registered
328 Posts
Need wiring advice...

This may just be due to my poor searching skills, but I had a hard time finding any information on the factory amp location in a sedan. It was easy to find information about the coupe - the amp is located under the center console. Since I have an '07 Civic Si sedan with Navi, the coupe information didn't apply to my situation. Anyway, I hope this is helpful to someone; the factory / stock amp in the '06 and '07 Civic sedan is located under the driver's seat. Following are some pictures I took of the amp location:

Seat removed, amp cover still on.

Amp cover removed.

Amp removed, with blue pre-amp (on left) and speaker-level (on right) connectors disconnected.
I need help! I want to keep my factory HU, and bypass my stock amp. I have the Metra 70-1727 Factory Amp Bypass Harness and I have it plugged into the bigger of the two molex plugs of the vehicle harness. But after reading that the speaker level output is the bigger one, I don't think I have this hooked up right. Or worse, I have the wrong kind of Metra Harness. :facepalm:

What I am trying to do is hook up my Audio Control LC7i to the HU pre-amp output signal, and then the LC7i sends the signal to the 5 channel Alpine MRV-V500 amp. At least that's how I understand how it works...

Also, I'm looking for the switched ACC power lead that will activate the LC7i to turn on as well. Any help is appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts