8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Civic SI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I’m new to the forum and a first time Honda owner.

Here’s the back story...
I just bought a 07 civic SI 4 door off of a friend at work as a project car. Last year he had the clutch replaced after it started slipping. After it was replaced he drove it 30 miles a week, just to and from work. 6 months after clutch replacement he was driving to work, he said he hit the clutch pedal and felt or heard a pop. Since then it won’t go into gear. He called the place that installed it and without even seeing the car they told him it was because he abused it, not true btw. Now it’s been sitting for 6+ Months cuz he didn’t have the money to fix it. If the car is turned off you can shift through all gears no problem but if the car is running it won’t go into gear. There was almost no fluid in the clutch reservoir but I don’t see it leaking from anywhere. I filled it, bled the line at the slave cylinder, adjusted the cmc and still no difference. The fork moves when the pedal is pressed but I’m not sure if it’s traveling far enough to disengage fully. Any suggestions about where to go from Here would be appreciated.

·
Registered
159 Posts
As you probably thought, it sounds to me like the clutch is not disengaging, either because the fork is not moving far enough, or the pressure plate is not releasing (clutch disc stuck to the pressure plate or maybe the throwout bearing is damaged.

Seems strange that the clutch reservoir was out of fluid - I drove a 98 Accord 5 speed for 18 years, and never had to add fluid. The is really no way the fluid should be low unless the slave cylinder is leaking (or the lines leading up to it), or I guess the master cylinder or reservoir could have a crack in it. But that seems odd so maybe start there? Perhaps the seal in the master cylinder is damaged and fluid is leaking past and not pushing enough down to the slave. If that was the case, I'd think if you pushed the clutch down very slowly then the fluid would leak by and you'd get hardly any fork travel.

I don't see a spec in the manual on the amount of travel of the fork, but maybe someone else on this forum could measure theirs and let you know so you could compare.

Otherwise, I'd be worried that the "pop" was the throwout bearing disintegrating. Maybe it wasn't replaced (or it was misassembled) when the clutch was replaced.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 Civic SI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I appreciate the response. After I bled the line last night I marked where the fluid level was sitting at so after it sits over the weekend I’ll see if it dropped any. It’s possible the shop that replaced the clutch didn’t top it off after bleeding. They could have charged him $2800 and only replaced the clutch plate itself and the the throwout bearing or pressure plate? Who knows, from what I hear they don’t have a reputation for doing quality work.
I guess I’ll see if the level drops over the next few days and check over everything again, if I don’t find anything I’ll just have to order the clutch kit and replace everything

·
Registered
2007 Civic SI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update
I checked the fluid level and it looks like it dropped a little and the rubber boot on the slave cylinder is a little bit wet. I was watching a video of someone bleeding their clutch lines, when he was pumping the clutch pedal you can see how much his clutch fork is traveling. If the one in the video is working properly which I assume it is, Mine is only traveling 40-50% of what It needs too. I cleaned the slave boot and I’ll check again after work tonight and update again I’m case anyone else is having the same issue.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Sounds like your slave cylinder is leaking. I don't think they are terrible expensive/hard to replace. Hope that is the problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue, my 08 si was not shifting when it was hot, like after a 15 minutes ride. I had the clutch replaced twice and the shop(different than the first of course) explained to me that the previous shop that did the job put some parts wrong. So far it's been over a year and is working fine now.

·
Registered
2007 Civic SI
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE
She is finally up and running! Here’s what I found. I pulled the slave cylinder off of the car to inspect it a little further The fluid I saw on the rubber boot wasn’t leaking from the slave, it was coolant from when I pulled the intake and air box off. I decidied just to replace it anyway since I already had it taken off and the part was only $68.00. After replacing it I bled the lines again, but this time it kept sucking down fluid and eventually the pedal had 0 resistance and went to the floor effortlessly. I looked under the car and wouldn’t you know it there was the massive puddle!
I feel a little bit like an ******* Because the first time I looked at the cmc I noticed the head from a torx screw that looked like it was in threading from the metal dome on the firewall that the break master cylinder mounts too. It looked out of place but I didn’t pay it no mind. Turns out that was 1 or the torx screws from The cmc that snapped off and was leaking, I just couldn’t see it.
The problem was right in front of my face this entire time. I just finished replacing and adjusting the cmc, bled the lines and BOOM! She’s driving like a champ! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts