8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a whining type noise when I am in 2nd -4th gears and hit about 3500 - 4000 RPM. The noise continues if I push the RPM higher but it stops when I am not in gear or when I shift to a higher gear (until I get back up to 3500 RPM again...). As I have tried to replicate the noise I notice it happens more often after the car has been sitting for a while, not recently driven. I took it to the dealer because they had just recently worked on my transmission (3rd gear problem fixed) and they said there is nothing wrong with it and they said they couldn't replicate the noise. I tried to record the sound but it doesn't come up on the recording over regular engine noise very well. I will try again. Best description I can think of: relatively high-pitch whining noise...picture putting the edge of a piece of paper into the blades of a fast moving fan (similar noise). Sorry for the general lack of info, not sure where to go from here. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Hmmm I had bad whining in 4th gear after my 3rd gear fix esp when cold and at low rpms. It got fixed under warranty. Now 6th whines verrrrrry slightly at 3-3.5k cruising. Weird huh?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I left it with them for the day and they said they drove it back to back with another Si and they sounded the same..... Fantastic how it never seems to make any noise when the car is there. I guess I could tell them it is the LSD and see if they can't find anything. Could this noise be caused by anything else - with the gears or something? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I don't know. I started hearing the same noise about a month ago and searching on hear it looks like it is common for them to make this noise from launching so much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine makes some noises from time to time too similar to what you're describing, but not consistent enough for me to worry. Maybe there is something I should get checked out...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Could be belt/pulley whine. For this to be the case, the whine would have to be audible in all gears at all RPM.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Its safe to say that about every 8th gen that i have driven has had a noisy 2nd and 4th gear. If it was the differential it would be noisy at all times. It would not be dependent on what gear you are in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine makes this noise in 4th (maybe 2nd but I don't have any roads around here that I cruise in 2nd to hear it). Someone told me that it was from my intake?? I thought it was a nice sound (since i rarely hear it) but I could see it getting annoying if it was constantly like that

happens the loudest at 35-ish mph in 4th

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
"Intake noise" would sound more akin to blowing over the top of a glass bottle, kind of a whistle, definitely not a whine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's likely the idler pulley as stated above. It starts as a soft whine in the 3000 to 5000 RPM range and gets louder the longer you don't fix it. It starts sounding like you have a super charger if you neglect it for long enough...It's an easy fix, just rent a pulley wrench from auto parts store. Might as well change your belt while you're at it. ;) Oh and watch out for the nut that holds the pulley bolt in place, it dropped into my engine bay and I never found it... =/

1 - 20 of 25 Posts