8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first post on here, I bought an Si about 2 months ago from someone i know who is also a mechanic. He got the car from a lady who blew the original motor from not putting oil in it and the trans was messed up. He had put the motor from his old Si that was crashed in it that only had 110k, the car had 169k miles, bought a used trans with about 100k miles on it and installed it and the total price for the car was $3500.

Everything was running good after he put the new trans in except it was a little hard getting into gear so I adjusted the CMC and that helped a lot anyways, he took the car while i was at work so he could fix the alight bc the steering wheel was crooked and he put 100 miles on my car in the time he had it and now i am hearing a tapping/clicking noise when I accelerate. He said its nothing to worry about but i feel like it is getting louder each day. I thought it might be the valves or loud fuel injectors but im not sure, something just doesn’t seen right. The tapping speeds up with the engine rpms and sounds like its coming from right under the dash almost where the clutch would be. Could it be a trans or clutch related problem because sometimes i feel like if i have the foot on the clutch and im rolling but have the car in gear it will sound like the clutch is rubbing against the pressure plate or something. Im sorry if i was all over the place this was my first time posting and any help would be much appreciated??

(If it matters the modifications on the car is k-tuned full exhaust and header, ECU reflash, short ram intake, short shifter)

·
Registered
151 Posts
First thing to check if you here clicking is oil level. If its low then not enough will get to the valve train and it will cause excessive noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
First thing to check if you here clicking is oil level. If its low then not enough will get to the valve train and it will cause excessive noise.
I religiously change and check my oil level, that was the first thing i did. I use Penzoil 5w-30 full synthetic. It almost sounds like its coming from the clutch area maybe? When im merging on the highway and the rpms are high it gets faster and louder and i feel like i start to hear a metal pinging sound around 6-7k rpm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmmm, alright. The next thing I would check is the cam chain tensioner. If its failing youll get noise like that.
  1. On the way home from work i was able to get a video of the sound, and in the beginning of the video i noticed a sound I haven’t heard before. I was taking off in 1st gear and the metal on metal sound (almost just like metal on a break rotor) happened as i was releasing the clutch in the video you can hear the tapping I mentioned. I just hope this isn’t something too costly. Heres a video i took on the way home:

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
If it sounds like metal on metal (brakes squeak) and happens with pressure on clutch pedal it is probably throw out bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts