8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my 07 Civic DX (90k miles, Minnesota winters the past two years) needs a head gasket replacement and most likely machining to the engine head to knock out some warping caused by overheating about a year ago. The shop quoted me a minimum of 3k for the job, after replacing the MAF sensor for $550 (which was flagged by their computer) which they originally thought was the extent of my troubles. Upon further inspection, coolant is leaking into a couple of my cylinders.

Is 3-3.5k a fair price for this in your experience? If so, is it really worth investing in an 07?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sounds like you would be investing $3K into a car that isn't worth $3K. You might be better off with a different car.

On the other hand, you could find out how much a used engine at a salvage yard would cost, and as the shop how much to swap in the used engine. Then compare that cost to the KBB value.

Good luck either way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm leaning against repairing it. Potentially it's just the gasket that's bad, but how likely is it that the head hasn't warped? I might take it apart and check that out myself if I'm just going to salvage it off anyway. At the very least, seems like a good learning experience.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Always a good learning experience to take an engine apart.

My son's 06 Civic overheated badly and it was not salvageable. Its tough to prevent warpage when both the head and the block are aluminum. You could pull the head off and use a straightedge and a feeler gauge to see if/how bad it is warped. Usually the limit for the head is 0.002" measured side to side and criss-cross, and 0.004" for the block. I believe the head gasket is the multi-layer steel (MLS) type, and they are not as forgiving when it comes to flatness and surface finish compared to graphite type head gaskets.

You might get lucky and the warpage is not too bad. All depends on how hot it got, and how long it was run after the joint was leaking.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, seemed pretty steep. I do most of my own work, but I just didn't have the time to keep plugging away with no results this time around. Plus, I live in an apartment with no garage, so streetside carwork in 0 degree weather gets old pretty fast. The OE sensor is apparently 150 bucks, they put a few hours into it diagnosing and piddling around with my coils/plugs, so I didn't think 550 was too terrible. Rockauto has some cheap sensors, but I don't really trust them sometimes. You think they took me for a ride though?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts