8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a minor frontal collision that left me driving a 100 miles with an unknowingly cracked radiator and ended up having to limp home. Car obviously maxed out the temp gauge. I had the subframe and radiator replaced but car still overheats and still loses coolant.

Even weirder.. A/C now doesn't function as well as heat in the winter. I have a weird compression thing going on with the radiator as water explodes out of it when i open to put more in it, even when mostly cooled down.

Now it will sometimes not start and I have a rare rough idle such as when it will seem to be running rough, halfway stalling out, then all of a sudden hiccup and go back to a perfectly smooth idle. Anyone know what could be going on?

From advice a few friends have given me it may be that I have a cracked head or head gasket? Does that sound right?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
As everyone else has said; head gasket - I wouldn't keep driving your car until you get this fixed, could end up doing more damage, up to/including warping the head or block.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Now it will sometimes not start and I have a rare rough idle such as when it will seem to be running rough, halfway stalling out, then all of a sudden hiccup and go back to a perfectly smooth idle. Anyone know what could be going on?
Similar issue happened on my '95 Prelude. head gasket, cracked head, new head and radiator, idiots put it on wrong, a hole was cut in the new radiator by rubbing against something, leaked more coolant, etc.

I know the engines are different now, but I do remember getting a really low idle when more coolant was being sucked from the reserve into the radiator, then back to normal when stopped. You may see this if you try to bleed the coolant (if you still have to do it that way).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, I have not been driving the car since the rough idle thing started to happen. So I went out earlier today and changed my oil (THAT sucked) and drained radiator and refilled. Car doesn't even seem happy starting so I left it alone.

Also, my oil has a film in it, it almost looks like oil on the ground that has a little water in it, creating the rainbow effect.

From what I have read, I am praying that it is a head gasket problem. I have friends who own a honda/acura shop so labor will be free, I just have to pay for parts. A whole new head would really ruin this summer ha.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Right, I have not been driving the car since the rough idle thing started to happen. So I went out earlier today and changed my oil (THAT sucked) and drained radiator and refilled. Car doesn't even seem happy starting so I left it alone.

Also, my oil has a film in it, it almost looks like oil on the ground that has a little water in it, creating the rainbow effect.

From what I have read, I am praying that it is a head gasket problem. I have friends who own a honda/acura shop so labor will be free, I just have to pay for parts. A whole new head would really ruin this summer ha.
sign of the head gasket failing

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

1.There is indeed white smoke coming out of exhaust.

2.Weird burnt-like smell in the cabin.

3. You can see the engine physically vibrating and rocking, normally engine is smooth and there is little to no visible movement. Also, exhaust muffler is also physically shaking and bucking. I immediately turned car off after noticing all of these symptoms.

Sigh.. I guess I'll have to find a way to tow my car home to get it looked at.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
blown head gasket, possible warped head.

Good luck. When the temp gauge maxes out YOU DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR, YOU TURN IT OFF AND TOW.

else you blow the engine.

Remember that next time.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
blown head gasket, possible warped head.

Good luck. When the temp gauge maxes out YOU DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR, YOU TURN IT OFF AND TOW.

else you blow the engine.

Remember that next time.
I most definitely will. Let's say the head is indeed warped, someone told me once that it could possibly be machined down instead of having to purchase a new head entirely ($2500+ from Honda, basically not doable for a student like me)

Has anyone heard of machining a head down back to being level after warping due to thermal expansion before?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I most definitely will. Let's say the head is indeed warped, someone told me once that it could possibly be machined down instead of having to purchase a new head entirely ($2500+ from Honda, basically not doable for a student like me)

Has anyone heard of machining a head down back to being level after warping due to thermal expansion before?
yes i actually read about it today in the new super street mag it is an option but when you change the head gasket if you look at the head it is almost impossable to see the warping with just looking so i would have it machined just in case, this can be a big problem for our engines expand and contract more hope all goes well

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
Yes it can be machined down, and then you get a thicker head gasket to compensate.

Whatever shop does this for you may be able to help with that.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I drive a civic si but work at a ford dealership for the last 7 years.. Sounds like a head gasket issue.. Usually you do alot of damage when you peg out the temp gauge.. You should be able to send out the head and have it shaved and put a thicker head gasket on.. You shouldn't have to buy a new head.. Hope things work out.. But remeber you might have anair pocket causing the themostat to stick cause fluid to spill out.. Remember you always have to burp a cooling system.. The mustang cobras are super bad when burping.. You have fluid shooting out till the air pocket is gone.. Goodluck..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts