Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 2 5.3%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure where to post this but i'm looking at an 03 evo for $19,000 should i sell my si and get or not. can't seem to make a decision on my own any feedback would be greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i say keep the Si, it has more reliablity, better gas and all that good stuff plus your Si is only a year old. The insurance for a evo is just crazy. if you can afford it, go for it!

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
The 03 evo is almost 5 years old. You might never know but it might be abused by the previous owner or owners. Also, an evo is one of the most expensive car to insure.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I tend to agree with most of the above posts. The Evo will most likely be higher insurance (though it is older, so who knows). Plus, you are basically trading a virtually brand new car for one which is four or five years old.

How many miles on the Evo? As many people mentioned an Evo is a car which is more likely to have been abused than some cars.

If you are sure you would like the Evo better and it is low miles/good condition and you can afford the gas/insurance then go for it.

If you are unsure if you would like it, or if you have doubts about its mechanical soundness, I would pass.

·
Registered
35,845 Posts
you're basically comparing new and old. i had a choice of 04 STi or 07 Si.
i chose Si. :lildevil:

only thing the evo has on SI is AWD + stronger motor, and last time i checked mitsubishi hasnt got the greatest record making strong reliable cars. the evo is prolly the best thing they got every other mitsubishi is a POS. i'd bet you that an 03 evo gearbox+clutch wont feel NEARLY as good as an SI's. the interior of the evo is garbage, i remember edmunds.com calling it "spartan" cuz that thing straight up looks bottom line econobox.

its ur decision tho i mean i preferred new so that how i saw it.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
nayilsi said:
2nd hand cars FTL
especially when they're cars that are typically driven hard and modified.

Big part of the reason why i bought my 07 Si new vs buying an 06 with 6000 miles on it.

·
Registered
16,555 Posts
If you wanna get a car thats is 99% likely to have been beaten on, tehn go for it.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
you want speed or performace? think about it mitsu isnt all that reliable. sure you will have some cheap thrills for a while since the car is a rocket but after that? it has awd but the Si motor is strong too im a huge beliver in it. I think if you lower the conpression on the si motor and slap an ajp turbo on it in the future with good engine management it will be fast enough for the street.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Evo 8 = fugly. The front bumper looks like crap to me (I can't explain why I love the 9's and hate the 8's) and it's mivec-less.

It's more than likely been beat to hell and run into the ground. If you're wanting something quicker without having to deal with all the b/s that goes along with a close to dead evo then get something that most people don't have.. Something like a mazdaspeed 6. That's AWD and turbo.. Or a legacy GT. Not too many kids are driving around beating up lgt's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i had an evo and ended up trading to help free finances for my home and for a cheaper more RELIABLE 07 si...the evo is great and i miss it but its real expensive in every aspect compared to the si....another good thing to remember is buying any type of performance car is iffy when buying used!!good luck!!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I say no...as everyone has already stated there's a 99.9% chance that car has taken a beating, which will only cause you problems down the road. That is why I opted for the New 07 Si over an Used 06 Type-S

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
If you decide to get the Evo

Pros:
Fast
AWD
Fast
Great handling
Fast
Easy tuning
Fast

Cons:
Resale hit on your Si (although it may not be too bad)
insurance $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
reliability
interior / ride
no cruise control
gas $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Even worse cop magnet than the Si

and

EVO side impact = death, however the wing will still be good.

the EVO wing never dies

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TJ213 said:
If you decide to get the Evo

Pros:
Fast
AWD
Fast
Great handling
Fast
Easy tuning
Fast

Cons:
Resale hit on your Si (although it may not be too bad)
insurance $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
reliability
interior / ride
no cruise control
gas $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Even worse cop magnet than the Si

and

EVO side impact = death, however the wing will still be good.

the EVO wing never dies

:rotfl:

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Added a poll for the hell of it and voted "other" because I think that if you're just wanting an AWD turbocharged car then you should get a mazdaspeed6 or an lgt. The mazdaspeed6 can be found for a decent price and looks great (imo) since it doesn't have that "boy racer" look and the lgt is just awesome.. Although it can be kind of pricey, but it's a subie so it's worth it (also my opinion). Subies are pretty damn reliable and have high resale value.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts