8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2006 Civic LX Coupe MT with ~40,000 (minus 5%) miles on it and recently it developed really bad road noise/vibration/humming that occurs mainly between 40 and 75 MPH. It's not related to the engine because if I push the clutch in it's still there. It's not tire related because I originally thought it was a tire out of balance and put all new rubber on the civic (Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (much stickier than the stock Goodyears). I also had the car aligned and it's still there.

I guess to describe the noise I'd say it's a very low vibration or rumble that seems to come from the rear but I'm not sure.

Anyway, help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm so sick of the problems with this POS car.

:banghead:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took it in for the wheel bearing, was told my car wasn't affected (well it was, but it didn't have the problem).

·
Registered
271 Posts
flat spots on the tire ie. tire locked up e-breaking? check that there is no visable debris in the rims with any weight to it. anything over a .25 ounce can throw off the balance. or is it possable you hit a pot hole. check tire preasure a vary low tire can deform and begin to vibrate. check your lug nuts and retorque them. but this is all a shot in the dark, i could tell you much more. but with out seeing the car idk. wheel bearing would of been my first check. if your up to it you can check them yourself. if you can tell the wheel is loudest at. jack it up off the ground. pull the tire in and out all arround there should be no movement only around. remove the wheel and spin the hub(the part with the wheel studs out of it) the weight of the tire can give you a false feel so it needs to be removed. if it is on the front they wont be able to move with the axle through it. depending if you have a drum or disk on the rear. you may have to remove the drum. this would be a good time to check your breaks! depinding on you knowledge of cars. as long as you have breaking surface on the pad or shoe your good. spin the hub it should spin free no restance at all. if it spins free then stops or becomes hard to spin and release it is bad. i hope it helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I think I'll just replace all the wheel bearings then.

Wish I was back in high school auto so I didn't have to pack them by hand. lol

Remind me to never buy another honda. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Yeah man get that checked out because it could be a loose wheel about to fall off! maybe you are on the recall list its better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
271 Posts
yea, your thinking oldschool delta 88 bearings, these are sealed HUB bearings. these bolt on from the back as one unit. your probibly not going to like the price of these also. they are probibly around 150 usd a peice.

if your not happy with your civic why not trade it off? it is just a civic if you wanted a quiet lux car should have got a lexus or a bmw. if you dont like it your probibly going to be inclined to trash it and deminish the value. sorry about your problems it makes me sad to read about unhappy honda owners.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
06ggex said:
yea, your thinking oldschool delta 88 bearings, these are sealed HUB bearings. these bolt on from the back as one unit. your probibly not going to like the price of these also. they are probibly around 150 usd a peice.

if your not happy with your civic why not trade it off? it is just a civic if you wanted a quiet lux car should have got a lexus or a bmw. if you dont like it your probibly going to be inclined to trash it and deminish the value. sorry about your problems it makes me sad to read about unhappy honda owners.
why is it that everyone on this site is a honda apologist?

The civic is a POS. No car I've ever owned has had so many stupid problems. Wheel bearings are not "wear" items and shouldn't need to be replaced at 40k miles (hmmm, the 4 VWs I owned with 400k combined miles never needed a wheel bearing and were recalled less).

Quite? There's a difference between a car being "quiet" and one that is tolerable. With it's cheap wheel bearings the civic isn't tolerable. If only the Rabbit had been out when I bought this POS (or maybe I should have just bought the Golf I had off the lease, it had less miles after 4 years of ownership than my civic after less than two).

If unhappy honda owners make you sad, you'd better write to honda and tell them how to build a damn car. They either forgot or brainwashed enough fools in the 80s for people to think they actually produce automobiles worth driving.

And I do take care of it, and I'm not going to sell it yet because I don't want to take a bath on it and the car I plan on replacing it with isn't yet available.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll remember to buy a good car next time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
trust me, i do love my civic but its because i am a auto mechanic. i work on crap all day! at any given time we can have 40 dodge products with problems role through to 1 honda oil change. the noises you hear may be vary anoying to you but has it left you stranded yet? a good car will get you from a to b. you might find a car that you like more next year. but what if it has problems that are worse? the dodge stratus the lower ball joints fall apart at 20k .causing the front wheel assembly to fall out and crush the wheel into the finder. and its considerd a wear item by dodge. ive seen 19 of them in 2 years! and you are on a forum for civics made by civic lover/owners. good luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
what said:
why is it that everyone on this site is a honda apologist?
Why? Look where you are. 8thcivic.com. Thats like going to the gym and sitting down eating Mcdonalds. If you oppose it that much, why do you come to a site dedicated for their owners?

I know for one thing, theres tons of things I find wrong with my car... but I love it and I chose it and I will stick by it no matter what. It's kind of like that goofy little brother. He gets picked on, but to you hes the coolest in the world. We are real men and we live by our decisions. Its like a marriage... we might go to the counselor a few times and get in a few fights, but it works out in the end.

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
I have the same sound, only mine is kind of a "clunk" sound.

I've had the O-Rings inspected twice, and they are "fine".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ley said:
Why? Look where you are. 8thcivic.com. Thats like going to the gym and sitting down eating Mcdonalds. If you oppose it that much, why do you come to a site dedicated for their owners?

I know for one thing, theres tons of things I find wrong with my car... but I love it and I chose it and I will stick by it no matter what. It's kind of like that goofy little brother. He gets picked on, but to you hes the coolest in the world. We are real men and we live by our decisions. Its like a marriage... we might go to the counselor a few times and get in a few fights, but it works out in the end.
I come here to get answers from other people who likely may experience the same problems from these poorly built vehicles.

BTW, it was the rear hub bearing. It did leave me stranded for two days and forced me to pay for a rental car, something the VWs I've owned never did. Overall, I've been without the car for nearly two weeks in less than two years of ownership. Entirely unacceptable.

·
Registered
271 Posts
know what, i do fell sorry for you. and it sounds like you got a limon. but i worked on a 07 vw jetta tdi today...it was the bigist peice of poop ive ever seen. ill tell you why. first off the owner adresses me by saying whatever you do dont leave the keys in it because it will lock them in. the flippey key was broke just floping arround(broken spring). the seat belt was pulled out in a ball on the seat, it wouldnt retract. the windscreen had scratches from the wipers. half of the nice red display in the middle of the tach and speedo was out. lucky for me the miles were still visiable 26000. and the motor was way to noisey even for a dieasl ive heard f350s that were quieter. to drain the oil you had to take 15 plastic threaded retainers off to take a plastic peice off. pull the oil plug you need a allen bit drive. but wait the canister oil filter is on the top runing nice black oil down the motor onto and over the nice plastic catch on the bottom. that you just reinstaled. in my book having to take 15min+ labor to drain the oil is entirely unacceptable. thanks vdubs for wasteing my time.

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is the thread I found when searching for this same issue I am experiencing with my '07 FA5. It describes it to the tee.

I will be taking my car to the dealership on Tuesday July 15 to have this problem looked at.

I will let you know if it is indeed the wheel bearing in my case.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The dealership replaced the bearing and o-ring wheel speed sensor on the rear driver's side wheel. Everything is back to normal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts