8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

'06 Hybrid Pricing

5K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  tehLOLbbq 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any rumors about '06 Hybrid pricing or options? It sure would be nice to have the option for navigation or a sunroof.

#3 ·
Hybrid

Yeah, I currently drive a '05 Jeep Wrangler Sport and am getting somewhere between 15-18 mpg. With gasoline prices continuing to rise, I could save almost $300 per month on gasoline with the hybrid. I was considering the '05 Honda Civic Hybrid, but have read about the 8th Gen coming out in October, so decided to go ahead and wait. The Prius seems to have a lot of options like Nav and Sunroof, but I just don't like the looks of it.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there yet about the specs, options, pricing, etc on the '06 Civic Hybrid.....

#4 ·
my bad- the hybrid would have a version of nav. I don't know what I was thinking. They usually put it into the same screen where the hybrid info is/radio/ac/etc. Sorry for my last post.

The hybrid should have the nav screen, but it won't have a sunroof to my knowledge. Usually it's a weight issue. The sunroof adds quite a bit of weight, so they usually don't have them as options on the hybrids.

I understand your gas situation. I had a jeep myself, and was getting about the same as you. With the gas situation, your hybrid would honestly pay for itself each month with your gas savings. Think of the 300 a month savings. Thats like a free car payment every month going back into your pocket. Over time that will really add up. In ten months - you've got an extra $3000 in your pocket that you would have spent on gas. It's a smart move on your part.

All of the full specs will be out on September 1st. A list of models, acessories, etc will all be anounced. I'll have them all up on this site as soon as they are listed, as well as the honda website.

But, basically you'll be looking at almost the same options most likely, with just an improvement in the gas mileage over the 05.

#5 ·
by the way - here are some photos of the hybrid for production that have been released.

.....^^ hybrid...................................^^ sedan..........................^^ SI

this last photo is the only one I'm not sure on. Either they are offering Nav on the EX version of the civic, or this is the interrior of the Hybrid. It doesn't have the SI "3 spoke" steering wheel as I like to call it. So it's either the EX with Nav, or it's a Hybrid with Nav.

IF - this is the hybrid - it had a sunroof. To this day though, they haven't had a sunroof in the hybrid, so I don't know. 7 Days till proof is released.

#7 ·
I will agree that the rims aren't the best looking but they serve a purpose.

They had a big writeup on why they are - they way they look. They described how many hours they spent in a wind tunnel to just squeeze out an extra 1-2 mpg by changing the design around a lot. I guess they are lighter than standard rims by quite a bit as well. All for aerodynamics/wind resistance etc.

"Enhancements to the Civic’s IMA hybrid system will deliver “significantly” higher fuel economy and performance over last year." quoted from honda.

#8 ·
Webby -

Thanks for the great info and pics! I have been scouring the 'net for more information about the '06, and it seems like this site definitely has the most I've been able to find anywhere.

Stupidfool -

The wheels aren't the best, but like Webby said...it's a MPG thing. Have you seen the '05 Civic Hybrid wheels? Whoa. They're even worse IMHO.

#10 ·
webby said:
They had a big writeup on why they are - they way they look. They described how many hours they spent in a wind tunnel to just squeeze out an extra 1-2 mpg by changing the design around a lot. I guess they are lighter than standard rims by quite a bit as well. All for aerodynamics/wind resistance etc.
As in less rolling mass. Less rolling mass = less weight the engine has to push around, inturn means more MPG. :thumb:

#14 ·
more info for ya

2006 Civic Hybrid i-VTEC Engine Information
By American Honda Motor Company

American Honda Motor Co., Inc., will introduce a New Honda Hybrid System in the 2006 Civic Hybrid that features a 3-stage i-VTEC engine that employs Honda's "intelligent" VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system to provide three stages of valve timing (low-rpm, high-rpm and cylinder idle mode), combined with a significantly more compact and efficient Honda IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system.

The New Honda Hybrid System will be introduced in the all-new Civic Hybrid, to be launched this fall, and will offer significantly improved performance and fuel economy over the current system.
The New Honda Hybrid System employs intelligent engine functions and a more efficient IMA system to achieve an approximate 20 percent increase in system output over the current system and performance similar to a 1.8-liter engine while improving fuel economy by about 5 percent , reducing the system size by 5 percent and attaining a world-leading level of emissions performance.

The 3-stage i-VTEC engine employs three hydraulic pathways to couple and uncouple five rocker arm assemblies, providing three stages of valve control depending on the driving conditions to achieve a combination of responsive driving and high fuel economy. During deceleration when the cylinders are idle, combustion in all four cylinders is halted and the cylinders are sealed shut, reducing pumping losses caused by engine aspiration for a 10 percent improvement in recovery of braking energy compared to the current model. To reduce friction, Honda is using aluminum die-cast pistons (which feature low thermal expansion for less friction under high-temperature conditions), ion-plated piston rings and plateau honing of the cylinder walls for a smoother surface.

Honda's independently developed electric motor employs coils with high-density windings and high-performance magnets to attain output 1.5 times that of the current model while maintaining the same size. The inverter used to control motor speed-also independently developed and manufactured by Honda-is integrated with the motor's ECU for more precise digital control, contributing to even greater motor efficiency and fuel economy. Battery output power has been increased by around 30 percent over the current model, while a more compact, custom designed battery storage box offers increased cooling performance and vibration resistance for enhanced long-term reliability.

A dynamic regenerative braking system is employed that hydraulically controls the brakes based on the amount of brake regeneration. This permits maximum braking regeneration along with smooth deceleration that conforms to brake-pedal pressure.

The air conditioner features a hybrid compressor unit powered by either the engine, an electric motor, or both. When the engine is in Idle Stop mode, the motor powers a small compressor. If rapid cooling is required, an additional compressor powered by the engine engages also. When the interior temperature is stable, air conditioning is provided by the motor alone for both improved comfort and fuel savings.

12005 Civic Hybrid
2Compared to the current 2005 Civic Hybrid with CVT and AT-PZEV emissions

New Honda Hybrid System Modes of Operation

* Vehicle stationary
The engine is turned off and fuel consumption is zero.
* Startup and acceleration
The engine operates in low-speed valve timing mode with motor assist.
* Rapid acceleration
The engine operates in high-speed valve timing mode with motor assist.
* Low-speed cruising
The valves of all four of the engine's cylinders can be closed and combustion halted, the electric motor alone can power the vehicle.
* Gentle acceleration and high-speed cruising
The engine operating in low-speed valve timing mode powers the vehicle.
* Deceleration
The valves of all four of the engine's cylinders are closed and combustion halted. The motor recovers a significant portion of the energy normally lost during deceleration and stores it in the battery.

Specifications* for the New Honda Hybrid System
Power source Engine Engine type and Number of cylinders Water-cooled in-line 4-cylinder
Displacement (cc) 1,339
Bore x stroke (mm) 73.0 x 80.0
Electric motor Electric motor type AC synchronous drive (Ultra-thin DC brushless motor)
Rated voltage (v) 158
Performance Engine Max. output
(horsepower/rpm) 95/6,000
Max. torque
(lb-ft./rpm) 88/4,500
Electric motor Max. output
(horsepower/rpm) 20/2,000
Max. torque
(lb-ft./rpm) 103/0~1,160
Combined
(Engine +
Electric Motor) Max. output
(horsepower /rpm) 115/6000**
Max. torque
(lb-ft. @ rpm) 135/2500**

*All values according to Honda in-house calculations
**Horsepower and torque calculations reflect new SAE J1349 procedures revised August, 2004

#18 ·

no nav on the hybrids.

You would probably be able to set up an order on one now though (deposit at least). Pricing is supposed to be relesed by honda in October - closer to the Hybrid release. Fuel estimates by honda state - 50mpg city / 50 mpg highway.

#19 ·
webby said:
no nav on the hybrids.

You would probably be able to set up an order on one now though (deposit at least). Pricing is supposed to be relesed by honda in October - closer to the Hybrid release. Fuel estimates by honda state - 50mpg city / 50 mpg highway.
Thanks for the info Webby. I've nixed the idea of the Hybrid when they threw out the manual tranny option. I pre-ordered my EX Coupe last Friday...woo-hoo!!! :rockwoot:

#22 ·
I am a Honda Civic fan. Currently own a 1995 Civic DX Sedan . Used to have 1988 Civic LX Sedan. If you count all the members of my family, we've owned every generation of Civic except 7th. My brothers and I shared a 1978 Civic as teens. My Mom had a 1981 and 1986 Civic.Currently she has a 1998 Civic. I put a deposit down on a 2006 Civic Hybrid. 500 dollars down. Number 3 on the list at the dealer. I am getting the Magnetic Pearl. Due in sometime between the second week of Oct and the first week of November. People 1 and 2 on the list want other colors, so I get the first Magnetic Pearl to come in. They told me that they will be charging MSRP for now 21500-23000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.