8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
61 - 80 of 127 Posts
Discussion starter · #62 · (Edited)
Sounds like the engine mounts. Post a picture if you can.
Would you replace these?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Sounds like the engine mounts. Post a picture if you can.
heres the mount pics from the passenger side...i got a few scuffs on the bottom mount pulling the motor

Attachments

Discussion starter · #63 · (Edited)
Got the motor out today...Man that was tight to say the least
tech tip
Don t forget the bolts inside the bottom cover of the transaxle...I was like why is this not coming out:unsure::unsure:
The bolts that go to the flywheel bottom picture( access thru very bottom of bellhousing )
I ve never done an engine swap that had that set up before

Attachments

Congrats of the engine removal :) Honestly from the mount pics, they look fine.

The circled area: If you see this exact area to be sagged/beat up, you might need a new passenger motor mount. This is how it should look like. Obvious symptom is clunking when shifting on cold and engine movement when pushing the gas rapidly.

Automotive lighting Kitchen appliance Camera accessory Home appliance Machine

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Congrats of the engine removal :) Honestly from the mount pics, they look fine.

The circled area: If you see this exact area to be sagged/beat up, you might need a new passenger motor mount. This is how it should look like. Obvious symptom is clunking when shifting on cold and engine movement when pushing the gas rapidly.

View attachment 245585
Thanks

Discussion starter · #68 ·
I decided to replace the v tech solenoid o ring gasket on the back side of the engine ...mainly due to my old one leaked and it was hard access, but very easy to do with the engine out. I also decided on the oil pan gasket ( actually just need honda bond( or what ever your preference is) and two o rings thru honda 2 bucks each. ( I doubt it leaked, just would prefer to do it now... ) plus im doing this project with my son , and thought it would be nice to have him help do it...
lukily i pulled the pan, there was a crack in it ...its very hard to see from outside i also wanted to see the inside of the pan, to check for sludge/buildup
but you can see it inside...they gave me another pan, and o rings will be a few days

Attachments

Discussion starter · #70 ·
Did anyone take out the top suppt in the front near the radiator? id like to make more room for putting the new engine back in..is there much involved to remove it?
I absolutely recommend removing the radiator support and radiator...it took 15 minutes and would have been a lot easier to remove the engine. i wanted it out to put the engine back in.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Ok , The new motor is is and runs very good. I am noticing that it will run for 10 min and then just shut off. When i try to start it , it cranks a bit , then fires and runs fine. I looked up a video on idle relearn and although i wasnt sure about the method( turn it to accessory for 2 seconds, and then rev at 3k until fans come on) actually has it running longer... still hard to restart
it used to crank and turn right over
anyone have any thoughts ? should i try the old tb? or am i on the wrong track?

Discussion starter · #73 ·
Ok , The new motor is is and runs very good. I am noticing that it will run for 10 min and then just shut off. When i try to start it , it cranks a bit , then fires and runs fine. I looked up a video on idle relearn and although i wasnt sure about the method( turn it to accessory for 2 seconds, and then rev at 3k until fans come on) actually has it running longer... still hard to restart
it used to crank and turn right over
anyone have any thoughts ? should i try the old tb? or am i on the wrong track?
UPDATE
Although i didnt do the relearn from cold...it was already warmed up...car seems to stay running... but if you turn it off and try to restart it in 2-3 mins, it cranks longer than normal ( its defiantly not right)
Any direction?

Discussion starter · #74 ·
This morning I did the idle relearn from cold, and I haven't had any issues since.. it starts very well and idles flawlessly.
Im going to go back thru each phase and edit what ive found, to help others going thru civic cracked block issue and replacement
Thanks to everyone who helped along the way:cool::cool:

Discussion starter · #79 ·
Midway through 09 the problem was fixed. There is a vin chart somewhere that shows the cutoff.
I think id stay clear of 2009...im just weird like that
Their vin estimates are very general...I just had issues with my pilot that was exact same as the vin sequence, but not included...
The way i went about it was searching for 2010 and 2011 engine cracked block issues...I found none

61 - 80 of 127 Posts