8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have an 06 civic coupe ex that I've finally been able to get around to fixing all the little problems after some time. The issue I'm having is with the radio head unit. I get no power or display 99% of the time BUT if you disconnect the two audio unit connectors A and B while the ignition is off, and then re-connect them, you will hear the CD player attempt to function (it jammed a CD in there a while back and makes a noise like it's looking for a CD). Before the radio quit the aux jack would only work if you held any cord a certain position. After it stopped working, when it's cold out the speakers will pop and the display will come on and barely show "enter code". Then once the car warms up, nothing.

What I've done so far: Checked/replaced all the fuses that are associated w/ the radio (fuse 23 under hood, 35, 5 under dash). I went in today with a multimeter to test the voltage on the connectors but I get no reading, checked the meter on the cigarette lighter and it works. When I check the meter on the hvac connector I get a reading on two of the pins. Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

I know the head unit needs to be replaced, but I want to make sure that the connectors have power first.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well you make it sound like the radio isn't getting power. You checked the HVAC connector and got power so you know the multimeter is working.

Im not exactly the most familiar with the wiring of the car but if the fuse is not blown check if the fuse itself is getting power. There is a little metal spots on top of each side of the fuse. Use those to check if 12V is getting to the fuse. If not then it could be a relay that feeds the radio but I don't know if that is how it is powered. I found some relay diagrams but I didn't see anything that was labeled as the radio or just accessory power.

Short of putting the radio in another car im not sure how else you could test it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll save that on my phone, that's a much easier version.

found this earlier: Fuse to Components Index - Under-hood Fuse/Relay Box.

It helped some, but after checking everything I was still at a loss. What gets me as that when the connectors are unplugged then plugged back in, the CD player motor comes on and you hear it trying to read a CD. I need to get a new multimeter anyway so at least that'll rule one thing out.

But youre probably right, I'm going to have to see if someone with 8th gen will let me plug mine to theirs. 🥵

·
Registered
91 Posts
Honestly I think going to a junk yard would be a good option to test it in another car. If they have one they know electrically works then they can throw a battery in it and you could disassemble the dash and test your unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found out my problem. I was testing the 20 pin connector instead of the 17 pin connector. I tested the no. 9, 14, and 17 terminals w/ the body ground with the key in the on position. 14 and 17 showed voltage, 9 (ground) showed no voltage, which are all the right readings.

So I'm relieved that I was just being absent minded and reading the wrong connector. Looks like it's just the head unit that needs to be replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts