8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys-I just received the mud guard kit for my 06 EX sedan. The instructions say that I need to remove the rear inside wheel well covers to install the rear guards. Not a big deal to get them out, but these covers are at least 6 inches longer than the mud guards themselves. They also protect the inside of the wheel well. My question is, is it worth it to do this, or should I just forget it? If part of the wheel well is left unprotected, then what's the point?

Am I missing something here?

Thanks-Jeff

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
any pics? I guess I've never seen mud flaps that go way up on the inside of the wheel liner. Also any pics of the fender liner on your car - the section that has to be removed?

or a pic online of the kit you bought?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They call it the "inner fender". Also, it's in the rear, not the front. I just corrected my first message. Either way, it's much bigger than the splash guard. Looks like it's going to leave a big open gap.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I guess I'd have to see it. They did send you both - front and rear I'm guessing?

I'd give paul a call at college hills and ask him. He might be able to assist you.

If you just use the mud guard - and remove the liner in the rear, will there just be the undercoating exposed then?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something just doesn't seem right with this. Do you really think it would be OK to call? I hate calling for support on mail-order stuff. I can almost see them rolling their eyes!

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I know paul, and he's very helpful. He will probably know best out of anyone. He's not just someone answering a help desk phone. He does all their internet aftermarket sales stuff. Maybe the wrong part was sent, or who knows.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I thought they were supposed to match up (the gap and the mud flap), since in the instructions, they tell you to trim the excess from the inner fender crap they spray.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point. I'll have to check it out once we get some good weather on a weekend. Right now, when it's not dark here, it's snowing!

·
Registered
503 Posts
jwoertz said:
Good point. I'll have to check it out once we get some good weather on a weekend. Right now, when it's not dark here, it's snowing!
I know what you mean about the snow. I was planning on getting the mud flaps to cover up that gap that exists on the LX (its missing that piece and the strake ahead of the rear wheel well). I find it hard to imagine Honda would've screwed that design up like that (leaving the gap) with their concentration on aerodynamics. Could be a manufacturing defect. Let me know how it goes (I'm hoping for mud flaps for Christmas!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys-

My bad. Can't apologize enough. I had some free time today and did the installation. Everything went very smooth. There is NO issue with the sizes of anything. The only BUGGER of a problem was getting the inside rear screws in on each side. I had to buy a "S" screwdriver ($2.00 at Home Depot) to finish the job. A normal stubby screwdriver wouldn't fit for me.

Sorry again for the false report!

Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts