8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to trade in my peice of crap '04 Mazda 3s hatchback (Air-conditioner died at 19,000 miles, transmission had to be replaced at 27,000 miles, and it only gets about 20 mpg). It's a great looking car, but damn, what happened to dependability and ride quality. Honestly, it would probably be okay if I drove on silky smooth roads all day, because it handles great, but I drive in Nashville's "Permanent Construction Zone" daily and frankly the thing rides like a damn log truck. I am seriously looking at the 06 Civic Si. I wanted to know if it has a timing belt or a timing chain. Any information you guys can give me would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
~racnjsn04~, I take it that's your silver EX? Silver or either white is probably the colors I've narrowed it down to. How do you like the Black interior? I haven't seen the black interior yet, because all the dealer had here in Nashville when I looked saturday was a black car and a white car. Did you get the Nav. system?

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
I agree with racnjsn04. Part number 2318101 is a cam chain aka timing chain. To which I say holy crap they finally caught up with Toyota. I hate timing belts. So I am happy to find out that my EX has a chain.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
TNRRBEAR said:
~racnjsn04~, I take it that's your silver EX? Silver or either white is probably the colors I've narrowed it down to. How do you like the Black interior? I haven't seen the black interior yet, because all the dealer had here in Nashville when I looked saturday was a black car and a white car. Did you get the Nav. system?
Yes that's my silver EX. I do have a TomTom700 navigation unit. I did Not get the factory unit because I got tired of waiting for a manual civic w/nav.
As for the interior I really like the black alot and wouldn't have it any other way. IMO the tan interior shows dirt to easily. I wouldn't mind having a white or black 2006 civic if they came with black interior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, for finding out about the timing chain. That's one thing that is REALLY expensive, when you have a timing belt and it has to be changed out at around 50-60 thousands miles. THe timing chains are MUCH more dependable and I'll probably be ready to trade the car before the chain would need to be switched out. What kind of Gas mileage are you guys averaging?

·
Registered
342 Posts
TNRRBEAR said:
Thanks guys, for finding out about the timing chain. That's one thing that is REALLY expensive, when you have a timing belt and it has to be changed out at around 50-60 thousands miles. THe timing chains are MUCH more dependable and I'll probably be ready to trade the car before the chain would need to be switched out. What kind of Gas mileage are you guys averaging?
I now own my 6th and 7th cars (should say we). Of the five cars that are now longer with us my 96 Accord was the only one with the belt. The other four had almost 150k miles on them each when I got rid of them and I have never had to change a chain, but the belt on the Accord was $450.

Let us all know what you get and send some pics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts