8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done putting in some new l.e.d. tail lights on my 08 civic si coupe. Now this might sound scary :eek:hnoes: and thinking back on it I dont know why I tried this but it worked great.

After removing the four small bolts behind the light and unhooking all lights under the trunk carpet I couldn't seem to pull the light unit out. After looking at the new one I relized to my dismay that there was one screw holding in the bottom of my tailight. The only way it seemed to get to that screw was to take off the back lower bumper. I mean I just couldn't think of any other way it could be done. And then it hit me. I took a real good look at where that mount was on the new unit then I took a hammer to my si tail light right above where the screw mount was. After taking my time and making a nice hole you can see the circle where the mount for the screw is. So again with my hammer and a flat head screw driver i broke around the circle indentation where the screw mount is. Leaving only a larger broken circle off the main unit. After that was done the tail light popped right out. The piece that was left with the screw can be easily removed with a pair of pliers working it back and forth until the screw head comes through the hole. Be sure to pound down that area if it pops up a little to ensure the new tail lights go in straight.

And thats it boys and girls. Instead of a regretful fealing of finding a shop that could take off my bumper I became Mcguyver on its ass. The four remander bolts holds the lights in real tight too. I had no need for the old tail light anyway so I didn't mind tossing them in the trash.
The job only took 45 min!

Its kinda crazy but I hope it helps some one out.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Interesting...

You couldn't have done with the $100 or so you could have got for the pair of OEM tail lights if you sold them on eBay?

Wow, wish I could throw money away like that.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I just got done putting in some new l.e.d. tail lights on my 08 civic si coupe. Now this might sound scary :eek:hnoes: and thinking back on it I dont know why I tried this but it worked great.

After removing the four small bolts behind the light and unhooking all lights under the trunk carpet I couldn't seem to pull the light unit out. After looking at the new one I relized to my dismay that there was one screw holding in the bottom of my tailight. The only way it seemed to get to that screw was to take off the back lower bumper. I mean I just couldn't think of any other way it could be done. And then it hit me. I took a real good look at where that mount was on the new unit then I took a hammer to my si tail light right above where the screw mount was. After taking my time and making a nice hole you can see the circle where the mount for the screw is. So again with my hammer and a flat head screw driver i broke around the circle indentation where the screw mount is. Leaving only a larger broken circle off the main unit. After that was done the tail light popped right out. The piece that was left with the screw can be easily removed with a pair of pliers working it back and forth until the screw head comes through the hole. Be sure to pound down that area if it pops up a little to ensure the new tail lights go in straight.

And thats it boys and girls. Instead of a regretful fealing of finding a shop that could take off my bumper I became Mcguyver on its ass. The four remander bolts holds the lights in real tight too. I had no need for the old tail light anyway so I didn't mind tossing them in the trash.

WTF? :xyxnervou

your a moron it takes 10min to take off the bumper ...instead youd rather start breaking **** on a brand new car.....******* amutures
:yeahthat:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Are you serious?

And you're suggesting that OTHER people do this? Or, that other people may WANT to do this? You'll regret that when you decide that you don't like the aftermarket lights any more, and you're at the dealer dropping tons of cash on a new set of OEM tails....

:waiting:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
your a moron it takes 10min to take off the bumper ...instead youd rather start breaking **** on a brand new car.....******* amutures
first of all, you own a *** :eek:hsnap: sedan so what the hell do you know?
ok, I said it was crazy and after i did it i dont know why i did but it did f***in work so what. Trust me I took a good look at how to take the bumper off and its more complicated than just a couple of screws and bolts. There where plastic tabs inside the trunk that required a special tool to undo without breaking them. So id love to see you take it off in ten minutes maybe on your old man sedan :box:.......you know what, my bad, I dont even care what you think I just posted this story cause I thought is was funny oh well.

And by the way a oem tail light on ebay are maybe 35 bucks if your lucky. thats why its ebay cause everything can be found cheap

·
Registered
223 Posts
darken 420 you may as well keep smoking that weed because your stupid stoned ass just did a half ass job on a new car ....most aftermarket taillights look like crap anyway so have fun buying some new stock taillights....people like you need to go pay professionals to do your work....get a life and get the hell off this website

·
Registered
7 Posts

I rather take off the bumber

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

I presume that's the hammer hitting the numbskull right?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.