8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my son an '02 Si for Christmas. It's his dream car. He doesn't know yet... He's not getting it until Christmas morning.
I bought the car from a wholesaler that advertises on Autotrader.com. When I went to look at the car I could tell that it had been hit in the front. Someone replaced both front fenders with ones that have vents on the side. I figure that's a modification that he'll really like! There were other signs that it had been in an accident as well. But since it drove very well, looked really clean, and was bargain priced at $5995, I bought the car. The only thing I could find wrong with the car is that is seems like the sync may be going out because it makes a slight grinding noise when you shift into 6th gear. That's right... SIXTH GEAR! I came home and started reading all the reviews for the car and they were all 'glowing' just as I had expected. But it occured to me that they all mentioned a 5-speed transmission. Thinking it may have been an option, I did somo more research. Nope... not an option. Something isn't right. The motor is the 2.0, but I'm just not sure it's the right 2.0. How can I tell what the motor and transmission came out of?
Also, There is a couple of little things the car needs. It's missing the Si badge on the front grille, the V-TEC emblems on the side (since it has been repainted), and the motor cover that says v-tec. Any idea where is the best place to find these things, other than ebay? I've looked on ebay and can't find any of them except the side decals.

Thanks,

Maury

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My son won't turn 16 until next March. Yeah, I can't wait to see his face either. The place I bought it from gave me a big red bow to put on it. Gonna be pretty cool... a dad's dream.

I went by to look for the numbers on the block and tranny. I didn't see them right off the bat. However, I did notice that it has a header on it! I know he will like that. I just assumed the car was stock since it didn't have one of those loud mufflers on it.
Can someone please tell me where to find the numbers? When I go back over there I will take a couple of pictures of the car and post them on here.
Thanks in advance...
Maury

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay... Here's what I've found. I wasn't able to find any numbers on the tranny with all that junk in the way. (looking from the top) But I managed to find the numbers on the front of the block. It's a K24A1 engine. I googled that and found that it comes in the TSX. Apparently, it produces the same horsepower as an RSX-S engine but produces more torque, at a lower rpm. (displacement)
I forgot the camera but I'll go back over there later and take some pics.
So, I've determined that this little car has a lot more horsepower than I initially thought. I just hope my son doesn't wrap it around a telephone pole!!!
I'm sure he will be thrilled that he has a modified Si though.

Anybody know what kind of 1/4 mile times this set-up will turn? I know quite a bit about American muscle, but nothing about these tuner cars. I will testify that I have seen some pretty quick tuners at Texas Motorplex! Just guessing, according to the horsepower/weight ration, I would think that the car would be capable of turning in the mid-13's. No?

Thanks for y'alls help. I'm sure once my son gets the car he'll become a regular on this site.

Maury

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Dang! I was assuming that it was just a 'swap' with a TSX since it is coupled with a 6-speed transmission. So, since the block is a crv/element block and the tranny is a 6-speed (out of either a rsx-s or tsx) there has likely been some other engine mods other than just the header. Oh, well, so much for the factory sealed reliability I thought I was getting. Rather than go to the trouble of pulling the valve cover, there is an envelope in the glove box with information on the previous owner. I think I'll just call him up and ask him what the deal is with the motor.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
No luck locating the previous owner. Swapping the motor would make sense. But where did they come by the 6-speed? I guess I'll have plenty of time to figure out exactly what is in the car after I've given it to my son. I'm sure he'll do it for me. One thing's for sure... it runs like a spotted-ass-ape!!! haha
I tood some pictures and I'll post them shortly.
Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it!!!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
The airbags appear to be intact. In fact I think I signed something at the dealership saying they were. dunno. It doesn't have a salvage title. Here is the place I bought it from Reid Automotive Specials.
I'm thinking it would have been worth more money if it were still in stock condition. Which I thought it was.
I haven't found anything wrong with the car yet. Oh, the ABS light came on and the check engine light came on and went back off again. I will have it checked out though, especially since he doesn't have much experience driving. Thank God he's a cautious kid. I think that, combined with me threatening him his life, may keep him from driving like an idiot.
I'll keep you guys posted.
I will post some pics of him getting his new car since that's going to be as good a day for him as it is for me. Well, I will try to post some pics. Someone else may have to post them for me.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Gosh, I'm really beginning to think I got a good deal. And if you guys don't stop it, I'll start thinking I'm a good dad too!!! Truth is, I try. He's been a good kid to this point in his life. He's never given me one bit of trouble. By the time I was his age... Well, let's just say I wasn't so good.
I'm not naive enough to believe that he's gonna drive like my granny used to. But I know he's the kind of kid that won't even ride all the rides at Six Flags. He's not about 'living on the edge'. We frequently go to the drag races at Texas Motorplex. If he wants to race his friends he can have them show up on any Friday night during the spring, summer, or fall to race.
I will probably let him read this thread. That, within itself, will probably make him realize it isn't a toy.
BTW, I did call the place where I bought the car. I wanted to see if the dealer was aware of the mods. When I drove the car and mentioned to him that it was grinding a bit going into sixth gear he didn't even know it had a 6-speed. When I explained to him how eveyone on this site thought it was a steal he asked me if I felt guilty enough to pay him more money for the car. haha... right!! He was going to ask the guy that traded in the car if he could give me his contact info. I can't wait to ask the guy about the car.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Okay, all this stuff had me really intrigued last night. So I called a guy that goes to my church and owns a 'foreign' garage and had him go take a look at the car with me. Here is what we know fo shizzle... It is a k24a1 block and the head off a k20a2. I cannot believe we forgot to look at the tranny. But didn't someone say earlier that it couldn't be off a k20a2 or 3? If not, what could it be? Anyway, he said that he thought the engine had not been modified, with exception of header and cat back exhaust, due to the power band and idle. To be honest with you, I live in Corsicana TX and there probably isn't a dyno machine within 60 miles of here. Just given these facts, what kind of horsepower are we talking about? If it's around 175-200, then I'm not too concerned, since he's driven my '74-454 vette with Reher and Morrison built motor, cranking out approx. 400 horses, and knows how scary horsepower can be. I'll have to post some pictures of that too, if anyone is interested.
Again, thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Maury

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Well, I'll figure out how to use photobucket sooner or later. What I'm trying to post is a scan of some paperwork I found in the glovebox. It's just the front page but I'm pretty sure it's what y'all are talking about. Judgeing from this, it's an '05 -'06 RSX ECU, correct? I dunno. Anyway, if someone can post that picture for me LIKE THEY DID YESTERDAY maybe it will help figure this out.
Thanks.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I'm probably going to leave the rest of it up to my son. He's going to love this. At least I won't have to listen to him talk about how he's going to modify the car. It's already done!!! And, no, I'm not going to allow him to boost the car. Before my vette I had an '01 Stealth Twin-Turbo... I can't tell you how bad that blew my mind! When it was running right, it was a beast. When it wasn't... I was clueless. The day I sold that car was one of the happiest days of my life. When it comes to mods, I'm going to stick with a bigger carb and cam. He'll love this site and, like someone said earlier, I trust that y'all will keep in mind that he's just a kid. I don't think he'll be doing too much more to the car with exception of probably a few ugly stickers on the windows. I'm going to hold off on buying the badges and i-vtec decals. BTW, he'll probably love the fenders. haha

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Oh, he can drive. He's been driving since he was like 12. (in the country of course) He has is learners permit and will soon be getting his hardship, until he turns 16 in March. Like I said, he has driven a car with much more horsepower (although to the rear-wheels) in the past.

Yeah, I've planned on putting the keys in a box under the tree. The blinds will be closed and when he looks outside... there it will be, with a big red bow on top. You know, when you have kids you always dream about days like this. For once, it's going to actually happen. Now we just need to work on that acceptance into Harvard or maybe Annapolis. haha

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
If anyone is a "noob" here, it's me!!! Three days ago I thought I had bought and unmolested Civic Si for my son. Since then I've learned that I bought a Civic with a motor pieced together (hence the term 'frankenstein'?) with parts from other Hondas. I'm sure my son will think it's pretty cool. I'm just hoping that he will still be able to get another 100K out of the car. Maybe there wasn't any internal work done on the motor and it's still got the factory guts. The salesman never called me back with the guys name that traded it in. So I may not be able to get the car's 'life story'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.