8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, 1st timer here and am debating between a few new fuel misers; Audi a3 (love that dsg), Prius and the ex cpe or maybe sedan for my 80 y.o. folks.
Coming out of a M3(still driving a beater for almost ayear-can't commit to something new yet), I think a Prius won;t do it for me. Tested an EX sedan and could tighten it up a buiit to be acceptable, especially at 30+mpg.

Nuff' ramble-any odeas on the 0-60 of a the EX auto?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i love the Audi shape. even '97 models look sporty w/ clean lines compared to todays standards IMO. id watch out tho, alot of Audio (not the A3) are on the Consumer Report "Used Cars to Avoid" list.

here's a direct quote from vtec.com about their 06 Ex Man. test model

"Power and torque at the hubs indicate that this engine is producing more like 150-155 hp and 135-138 lbs-ft of torque at the engine. Also note that the power peaks and torque peaks correspond almost perfectly with the advertised peaks of 4300 rpm for torque and 6300 rpm for horsepower...

...Our 0-60 testing returned consistent times in the 8.2-8.5 second range."

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=415957

this is food for thought, especially for those Mazada3 ****...i mean FANs (j/p...the 3 would have been my 2nd car choice) that like to throw around their 150-160hp rating.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yea a3's are sweet, s3's are sweeter, i just got back from putting down 500 to put me at the top of the list for a new civic si w/ navi (fiji blue) i think is the color i picked. anyways. im comming from a 20th AE gti. I can tell you that vw/audi engines are sweet! the new 2.0T is an awsomely designed engine and with torque threwout the rpm band. Its just crazy to drive, but, vw takes to long bringing over there new GTI's, otherwize id be getting into my
4rth veedub (90' corrado g60, 93 corrado slc and the current chipped 6 speed)

by the way first post! rock

kc

p.s. im not totally new to the honda scene, i had a 87 crx si that would not catch till halfway threw third, pretty awsome for a build 1.5l sohc with a whooping 97 stock hp.... just couldnt take the mad rice around here. too flamboyant and i wasn't going to be a part of. vw owners tend to cleap it clean with lines that flow. honda owner's (at least here in texas) went way to crazy with the body kit's and unerglow's, so wild.....the new civic is def going to stay stock body. im going to drop it*slammed*, maybe put on some 18's or some other 17's cuase those stockies are nasty! im thinking black with a polished lip. and focus on seeing what ill get out of it whitout suffering the dailey drivability. maybe allamo motorsports can get me a nice supercharger on it... thats my plan

·
Registered
267 Posts
DipshifT said:
i love the Audi shape. even '97 models look sporty w/ clean lines compared to todays standards IMO. id watch out tho, alot of Audio (not the A3) are on the Consumer Report "Used Cars to Avoid" list.

here's a direct quote from vtec.com about their 06 Ex Man. test model

"Power and torque at the hubs indicate that this engine is producing more like 150-155 hp and 135-138 lbs-ft of torque at the engine. Also note that the power peaks and torque peaks correspond almost perfectly with the advertised peaks of 4300 rpm for torque and 6300 rpm for horsepower...

...Our 0-60 testing returned consistent times in the 8.2-8.5 second range."

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=415957

this is food for thought, especially for those Mazada3 ****...i mean FANs (j/p...the 3 would have been my 2nd car choice) that like to throw around their 150-160hp rating.
Yeah the dyno that TOV did certainly looks like the Civic is underrated by the numbers. Their dyno says a top hp reading of 136. Well if you take into accout a 15% drivetrain loss then your looking at 1600 hp at the flywheel. Granted your drivetrain loss should be a little less since it's FWD. I'd be willing to bet that in a 1/4 mile the Civic would only be a hiar behind the Scion tC(without supercharger).

·
Banned
325 Posts
civicdude06 said:
Yeah the dyno that TOV did certainly looks like the Civic is underrated by the numbers. Their dyno says a top hp reading of 136. Well if you take into accout a 15% drivetrain loss then your looking at 1600 hp at the flywheel. Granted your drivetrain loss should be a little less since it's FWD. I'd be willing to bet that in a 1/4 mile the Civic would only be a hiar behind the Scion tC(without supercharger).
1600? Damn, ill be beating Top Fuel Dragsters:D :D

160 im assuming is what you meant.

But ya, if i were you, i would go Honda.

Not to be stereotyping here, but Audi/VW engines are CRAP. They dont hold value, and they are not reliable, And if your thinking about buying the A3, thats an even worse idea, there is only one thing worse than a VW engine, and thats a new first year VW engine without all the kinks worked out.

Ive had 2 VW's and 1 Audi S4 (which i traded in for my new M3 because it was such a POS) and turbo or not, they all fell apart, they are the Armpit of German engineering as far as im concerned and i would take my Honda over one anyday. Thats just my .02 though, im not saying Audi's dont look good, or arent good cars, but they just arent reliable, and i would cut off my arm before i blew 20-30 grand on a first year model one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
06Ex said:
Not to be stereotyping here, but Audi/VW engines are CRAP. They dont hold value, and they are not reliable, And if your thinking about buying the A3, thats an even worse idea, there is only one thing worse than a VW engine, and thats a new first year VW engine without all the kinks worked out.

Ive had 2 VW's and 1 Audi S4 (which i traded in for my new M3 because it was such a POS) and turbo or not, they all fell apart, they are the Armpit of German engineering as far as im concerned and i would take my Honda over one anyday. Thats just my .02 though, im not saying Audi's dont look good, or arent good cars, but they just arent reliable, and i would cut off my arm before i blew 20-30 grand on a first year model one.
funney, i never had any problems with any of my vw's and i ran them hard all the time.... and beat more honda's in them than anything. and even my 93 corrado. came stock with 200hp back in 93' and still is running strong... maybe you should go register one vw lemon.com.... and im sorry your s4 was such crap. i know about 10 people in the area with them. i dont believe any has complaint's and they basically own our other buddies m3....with arp chip upgrade.

·
Banned
325 Posts
wickett said:
funney, i never had any problems with any of my vw's and i ran them hard all the time.... and beat more honda's in them than anything. and even my 93 corrado. came stock with 200hp back in 93' and still is running strong... maybe you should go register one vw lemon.com.... and im sorry your s4 was such crap. i know about 10 people in the area with them. i dont believe any has complaint's and they basically own our other buddies m3....with arp chip upgrade.
Well thats your opinion, personally i think thier ****. They cant hold a candle to BMW, and they arent worth thier weight in crap once you drive them for a while. So ya they are crap. If you would like, i could even point you to a thread right now over at TOV where they are talking about it, how they have seen new jettas with the lights not working, stalled on the road.

And i personally have had a bunch of crap with mine. I WILL NEVER buy one again. And i could care less if you and your buddies "own" your friends M3 with an S4, with all 10 of them that you know.

Which i have a hard time believing your story isnt bullshit in the first place. Since aparantly you know more S4 owners than anyone ive ever heard, and you like to brag about beating honda's in your awesome volkswagens. Anyway, its my opinion, and we could go at it all day, but i prefer not to argue with someone that cant spell funny.

So whatever dude, lets just let it go, everyone knows thier built like crap. Its just the owners that wont admit it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts