Better Handling Tires on 2009 SI - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Civic Style > Wheel And Tire Upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 01:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Geoff
Akiyama has their car in neutral right now
Better Handling Tires on 2009 SI

/I tried to post this before but I'm new and probably put in the wrong place. I have a 2009 SI I bought used 1 owner, 100k, and in perfect condtion. Its a Sedan I believe that is FA5. Anyway the last person who owned seemed to want treadlife for his tires over anything else. Because he must have bought these Michelin tires with a 640 treadwear hoping he would get like 80-100k out of them. They still have plenty of tred and them and I'm not saying the car doesn't handle well but, I want better performing tires even if they still are all season but I'd go with a summer tire if I can. I live in GA and we get like 1 or 2 snow or ice storms a year. But somewhere I also read summer tires can't really be driven in cold temps and in the winter morning is can be down in the 20s sometimes and is often in the 30s can summer tires handle the cold temps? If not I could still buy a set off summer tires and just save the current tires and have them put on in the winter. I really just need a softer compound. I'm concerned with handling not road noise or really ride comfort(unless the ride is truely unbareable). I don't know as much about tires as I do engines. The car actually handles great with these awful tires on it but something with more flex and grip would make it awesome. I am I right in assuming that the lower the treadwear number the softer the tire? Will I get more grip from a 400 treadwear than a 640? Or is that not always the case. I know that the traction rating of A or AA or whatever has to do with stopping. So I guess I'm asking what tires should get for the car for superior grip. I will say I don't like Michelin(always had bad luck with them) and I tend to lean toward Toyo, Yokohama, Nitto, and I don't mind cheaper brands like Dunlop or Falken if it is generally a good tire. So i really need to know exactly what that treadwear rating implies and what good set of tires for stock 2009 SI rims would be. Also I was wondering, it has 215/45/17s on it could I put 225/45(or 40)/17s on it or will that cause any issues? My price range would be around 550 for all for not including installation or anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Raph
-raqh- just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
You can put 225/45r17 no problem.

As for brands there are plenty, nitto neogen are usually a popular choice, hankook v12 also, yoko s drive, falken have some really decent stuff and cooper too in the entry level yet sticky tires.

Check ou discounttiredirect, you can also chat with em they're pretty nice to deal with.

-raqh- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2018, 12:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

petermcjoe just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I'm running 235F/215R Yoko S drives no issues. Good street tire. 225/45 fit no problem, I definitely recommend up-sizing.
petermcjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Guthrie has their car in neutral right now
I've always ran 215 summer tires, never thought about going beefier. Yoko S. Drives are nice in north GA. I'm dumb and drove them in light snow in Chickamauga and Dalton on seperate occasions. Caution and the limited slip compensated for my ill-suited tires. My next set will be "extreme performance" summer which look more like track slicks than "ultra" or "max" summer tires such as the S. Drives, b/c I now have an old 4x4 for those snowy days.
Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

cyrus_gremlins just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I had a set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires installed in the spring and I have enjoyed them quite a bit this summer. Quiet, sticky, and good in the rain.
cyrus_gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

ApexEight has their car in neutral right now
I got a set of GTRadial Champiro SX2s off eBay for $150 shipped. They're 215/45s. They're decently sticky and rated at 200TW, but they aren't as stick as the elite 200TWs, like the BFG Rival S 1.5, not the Bridgestone 71R, but they're great for the price.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

Matt
THRAX has their car in neutral right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
I got a set of GTRadial Champiro SX2s off eBay for $150 shipped. They're 215/45s. They're decently sticky and rated at 200TW, but they aren't as stick as the elite 200TWs, like the BFG Rival S 1.5, not the Bridgestone 71R, but they're great for the price.
That's a good deal!
THRAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2019, 05:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Boiskhon
Boriscsx just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I think for under 500$ your best bet is indy firehawk 500 in 225 45 17?
Boriscsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in