Speeding ticket, please help!! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Regional Honda Civic Owners - U.S. > West

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Philip
PhilipQuang just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Speeding ticket, please help!!

Okay, yes I'll admit it, I was wrong and stupid. I had never had a speeding ticket before.

I was driving on the freeway next to my friend's car, I wanted to compare HID color with him but he thought I wanted to race him, so he speed up. Then later I catch up to him, because of the hype, I start speeding up. Then later found out there was a cop car behind me. The office pulled me over and ask if I was racing the black Honda Civic. I told him I wasn't. I told him I was sorry and I was just trying to get somewhere soon. Minutes later he gave me a ticket of 247.00, saying that I was going 90 MPH. I wasn't sure how fast I was going. It seems like he wasn't on the side of the road shooting radar gun or anything. I guess he was driving and saw my car speeding. I had never race before in my life! This was my first attempt, and it got me.

Should I mitigate hearing agreeing that I have committed the infraction and explain the circumstances? Or should I contest the hearing and say I did not commit the infraction. The ticket isn't really important, but I'm very afraid that it'll be on my record. 8thcivic, please help!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Jimmy
HotShot just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
If you want contest the ticket just keep in mind it's a crap shoot. Your story really doesn't matter.... If the Officer says you where speeding the Judge is going to take his word as truth, because of the oath they have take. Just roll the dice and hope the Officer doesn't show up to the court arraignment. If you decide to eat the ticket and pay the fine, it's on your record. If the officer doesn't show up to court you'll be clear... That's how California works...

HotShot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Philip
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShot View Post
If you want contest the ticket just keep in mind it's a crap shoot. Your story really doesn't matter.... If the Officer says you where speeding the Judge is going to take his word as truth, because of the oath they have take. Just roll the dice and hope the Officer doesn't show up to the court arraignment. If you decide to eat the ticket and pay the fine, it's on your record. If the officer doesn't show up to court you'll be clear... That's how California works...
I might just agree that I committed the infraction and explain a circumstance. Likely the judge will knock half off my speeding ticket, but..do you think it's possible that the judge will knock this off my record?
PhilipQuang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Philip
Because, the thing I did wrong was I already admitted to the officer that I was speeding.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Jimmy
HotShot just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
That can be your plan B, in case the Officer dose appear in court, your basically at the mercy of the court. It all depends on the area you're from, and if there has been a rise in numbers of deaths caused by speeding/street racing... They could make an example out of you, because 90mph+ isn't just driving 62MPH on 55 MPH zone... Make sense?
HotShot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Locc
bxillest just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Never admit guilt in a speeding ticket, I am from Pennsylvania and got plenty of speeding tickets, up until this summer I had 4 points on my drivers license.The fine is not what you should be worried about a 90 MPH speeding ticket constitutes points on your license. Plead not guilty show up to court the officer will speak to you before hand and tell you " Hey look I am going to say you were doing 75 mph will take off the points and just pay the $150 fine" I hope all goes well for you!
bxillest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ryan
hcivicsi07 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Hmm, you're receiving some interesting advice here so I'll give you some from an officer perspective. First and foremost, if you're doing something wrong and you get caught, man up to it and be honest. Contrary to popular belief, officers are here to do a job and perform a service to the people so unless you're doing something wrong, you have no need to worry. Unfortunately, the few officers out of many that overstep boundaries and don't adhere to the laws they themselves have sworn to uphold have made a bad reputation for the rest.

Anyway, on to your original posting. Whether you meant to or not or whatever the circumstances may be that lead you up that point of committing the violation are irrelevant unless there were major extenuating circumstances IE. you were being held at gun point and coerced against your will. Now with that being said, if this is your first speed violation and have a clean driving record thus far, this would be taken into consideration by the D.A. and a deal may be offered upon admission of guilt. For example; you pay half the fine, the points get dropped to half, you take a driving class and the case is settled outside of court. Keep in mind that that choice is completely up to the D.A. as they could also offer nothing regardless of your plea and leave it up to the judge in which case you would be responsible for everything he sentences as well as paying all applicable court fees.

Also bxillest, I find it very difficult to believe that the issuing officer spoke to you before the court proceeding and offered you a deal seeing as how the officer would lose his job for doing so.

Last edited by hcivicsi07; 08-14-2011 at 10:57 AM.
hcivicsi07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Under Moderation

Kevin
Surfinmaui014 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to Surfinmaui014
Your f-u-cked.. Uber and majorily f-u-cked.. Enjoy Federal Pound Me In The A-S-S Prison
Surfinmaui014 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Rich
RitcheyRch just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Send a message via AIM to RitcheyRch
Just man up and pay the fine.
RitcheyRch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Locc
bxillest just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcivicsi07 View Post
Hmm, you're receiving some interesting advice here so I'll give you some from an officer perspective. First and foremost, if you're doing something wrong and you get caught, man up to it and be honest. Contrary to popular belief, officers are here to do a job and perform a service to the people so unless you're doing something wrong, you have no need to worry. Unfortunately, the few officers out of many that overstep boundaries and don't adhere to the laws they themselves have sworn to uphold have made a bad reputation for the rest.

Anyway, on to your original posting. Whether you meant to or not or whatever the circumstances may be that lead you up that point of committing the violation are irrelevant unless there were major extenuating circumstances IE. you were being held at gun point and coerced against your will. Now with that being said, if this is your first speed violation and have a clean driving record thus far, this would be taken into consideration by the D.A. and a deal may be offered upon admission of guilt. For example; you pay half the fine, the points get dropped to half, you take a driving class and the case is settled outside of court. Keep in mind that that choice is completely up to the D.A. as they could also offer nothing regardless of your plea and leave it up to the judge in which case you would be responsible for everything he sentences as well as paying all applicable court fees.

Also bxillest, I find it very difficult to believe that the issuing officer spoke to you before the court proceeding and offered you a deal seeing as how the officer would lose his job for doing so.
hcivicsi07, Why don't you believe it? It happens everytime. My first speeding ticket was at the age of 16 in New Jersey, which has some of the toughest state troopers, my fine was $350 and 4 points on my license. I pleaded not guilty and went to my hearing, before the case started the officer and the prosecutor called me into their office and gave me a deal offer which included just a fine but no points. When we went in front of the judge, the judge said and i quote " The officer has agreed to lessen the severity of your infraction to 76 mph in a 65 mph would you like to plead not guilty to this?" You obviously never got a ticket in which you pleaded not guilty. So before you try to dismiss my advice please do your research on the law.
bxillest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxillest View Post
hcivicsi07, Why don't you believe it? It happens everytime. My first speeding ticket was at the age of 16 in New Jersey, which has some of the toughest state troopers, my fine was $350 and 4 points on my license. I pleaded not guilty and went to my hearing, before the case started the officer and the prosecutor called me into their office and gave me a deal offer which included just a fine but no points. When we went in front of the judge, the judge said and i quote " The officer has agreed to lessen the severity of your infraction to 76 mph in a 65 mph would you like to plead not guilty to this?" You obviously never got a ticket in which you pleaded not guilty. So before you try to dismiss my advice please do your research on the law.
Not that it really matters but my point was based off your statement that the officer will meet with you before court and choose to lower the penalty himself so the OP should not expect that to happen. Your case was rare, or perhaps the NJSP handles their cases differently. Either way, this is apples and oranges so I'll leave that at that. I do however find your comment of "never admit guilt in a speeding ticket" interesting. Perhaps it's just my upbringing or integrity or career choice or maybe all of the above but when I do something wrong, I admit to it and accept whatever punishment accordingly. You will not be issued a ticket for speeding if you were not speeding so for you to not admit guilt is basically a lie. There is no grey area here of lack of evidence or corroborating eye witness statements and checking alibis. The officer either clocked you on radar/laser or paced your vehicle and that is that.

I'll leave it at this; a speeding ticket is just like any other violation, don't break the law and you won't get one but be ready to accept the punishment when you do.

Last edited by hcivicsi07; 08-14-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Philip
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcivicsi07 View Post
Not that it really matters but my point was based off your statement that the officer will meet with you before court and choose to lower the penalty himself so the OP should not expect that to happen. Your case was rare, or perhaps the NJSP handles their cases differently. Either way, this is apples and oranges so I'll leave that at that. I do however find your comment of "never admit guilt in a speeding ticket" interesting. Perhaps it's just my upbringing or integrity or career choice or maybe all of the above but when I do something wrong, I admit to it and accept whatever punishment accordingly. You will not be issued a ticket for speeding if you were not speeding so for you to not admit guilt is basically a lie. There is no grey area here of lack of evidence or corroborating eye witness statements and checking alibis. The officer either clocked you on radar/laser or paced your vehicle and that is that.

I'll leave it at this; a speeding ticket is just like any other violation, don't break the law and you won't get one but be ready to accept the punishment when you do.
Or....I can defer the speeding ticket and just pay the fine. I had never got a speeding ticket, so I can use it. Correct?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipQuang View Post
Or....I can defer the speeding ticket and just pay the fine. I had never got a speeding ticket, so I can use it. Correct?
If you have not received a deferral in the past 7 years then yes, you can request one and it will be granted or denied based on your driving record for either a 6 month or 12 month probationary period. So long as you do not receive another moving violation during that time then it will not be added to your driving history. You should have 15 days (from the date of the ticket) to mail it in and request for a mitigation hearing and after doing so you will need to call the county clerk and request a Defendant's Statement Form. The clerk will be able to answer any and all questions you have on this matter or will be able to direct you to someone who can.

Last edited by hcivicsi07; 08-15-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
SEW

SEW just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Hcivicsi07's advice is what you should follow. Dishonesty is wrong! It's so wrong that God just happened to include it in the 10 Commandments!
SEW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

brian
si_autobot just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
use a defer!

always contest the ticket! if you confess, you are admitting to the infraction and will pay in full. if you contest with some sort of reasoning, they'll reduce if not dismiss the ticket. therefore it's better to contest because at least you have a chance.
si_autobot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

hbk20 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
I'm sure I am too late for your case, but for future references, always request the police report or "Discovery" as they call it here in WA. With this you can plan your arguments accordingly. Police officers are human and they too make mistakes. I got my girlfriend off the hook on her ticket because the officer cited her for not stopping at a stop "light", but in reality she didn't stop a stop "sign" (4 way stop). Got dropped for "wrong code cited".
hbk20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Ryan Rahman
rryann132 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
If you really really really wanna have a good chance of keeping your record clean.....get a lawyer lol
rryann132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #18 (permalink)

Dave
fathom18 just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
LOLOL, so I spent like 30 mins typing up a response on how to beat this, and then I saw that this post is a few months old. /facepalm

Anyways now that this thread was brought back, I'd like to hear what happened or if still ongoing which I doubt.
fathom18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in