2009 Civic Sedan hit curb. Front Passenger side Suspension Replacement! - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

masabahmad has their car in neutral right now
2009 Civic Sedan hit curb. Front Passenger side Suspension Replacement!

Hi,

So my 2009 civic sedan hit a curb at the passenger side, and both passenger side tires blew. I got new tires and an alignment, and now there's no vibration or noise at low or high speeds while going straight (although the steering turns whenever the car hits a bump).

However, the front passenger tire is slightly bent and whenever I turn the steering wheel right like 180 degrees the tire hits the wall and makes noise. When I turn left or right and the car hits a bump, I get a high pitched squeak. Pictures attached.

I went to the Honda dealer to see if they could fix this issue and they came up with a quote of $2k in which they would change the strut, knuckle, bearing, wheel, and the lower control arm. I plan to do these replacements with the help of a friend, and have the following questions/comments:

1. Which parts from which company should be bought for this case? Should I buy the whole strut assembly? Should the strut also be replaced on the driver side?
2. Do I really need to replace the steering knuckle?
3. Wheel bearing I'll get the Honda OEM from amazon ($70).
4. Do I really need to replace the wheel/rim?
5. Lower control arm I'll also get the Honda OEM from amazon. Is any other brand ok cause the Honda one is expensive (like $250-300).
6. What about other parts? The stabilizer bar and the tie rod?
As we'll be doing most of this ourselves I can buy good quality parts due to low labor costs.

Thank You

Attached Thumbnails
2009 Civic Sedan hit curb. Front Passenger side Suspension Replacement!-img_20190407_120517.jpg   2009 Civic Sedan hit curb. Front Passenger side Suspension Replacement!-img_20190407_151800.jpg   2009 Civic Sedan hit curb. Front Passenger side Suspension Replacement!-img_20190407_152624.jpg  

Last edited by masabahmad; 04-23-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
I usually check autohausaz.com for oem and oem style parts. They're not always the cheap option, but I find myself buying from them for about half my repairs. The si hasn't had much go wrong yet, so I can't speak for their selection for the 8th gen, but I always recommend stopping by before pulling the trigger

MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

RBPexsedan just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Always buy OEM if possible, performance parts aside.
RBPexsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. I'll go with OEM. I found the following OEM parts on hondapartsnow.com and on amazon.
I'm ok with spending a bit more. The MOOG control arm, which has the MOOG arm-bushing-balljoint assembly together for like $60 on amazon. I dont know how reliable it is. I see reviews on amazon saying oh the control arm cracked or the ball joint's making noises etc.
I'm assuming I'll be able to use the nuts already in place.

Control Arm $141:
hondapartsnow.com 51350-sna-a03

Ball Joint $46:
hondapartsnow.com 51220-sna-a03

Ball Joint Dust Sheild $5:
hondapartsnow.com 51225-sna-a01

Compliance Bushing $30: (add $20-30 for pressing)
amazon 51391-SNA-305

Sway/Stabilizer Bar $24:
amazon.com 51320-SNA-A02

Outer Tie Rod $44:
hondapartsnow.com 53540-sna-a02
masabahmad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2019, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

glujan2001 has their car in neutral right now
I would stick to OEM
glujan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've bought the following:
1. KYB front left and right strut assemblies. It makes sense to replace both strut assemblies. The Honda OEM ones are extremely expensive. These KYB ones seem to have good reviews.
2. Inner and Outer tie rods (Honda OEM).
3. Sway bar (Honda OEM).
4. Control Arm + Bushing + Ball Joint (MOOG). I'm also buying a Honda OEM ball-joint because Ive read reviews on amazon saying the MOOG ball-joint cracks in a couple of months. I'm doing this because the Honda OEM control bar + bushing is expensive, plus I dont know how to press the bushing into the control bar. The MOOG one already has it pressed.
5. I'm not sure if I have to buy some specialized bolts. I'll see to that when I'll be changing these things.

The total cost of these parts and labour is going to be a fifth of what the dealer told me.

Last edited by masabahmad; 04-20-2019 at 09:39 PM.
masabahmad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

MisterBek has their car in neutral right now
If the sway bar is damaged such that it needs replacing I would buy new bushings and mounts for it too. Those are absolutely the weak link in the swaybar assembly
MisterBek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

FuntanaS just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Garage
I would find a complete used suspension from the junkyard. It will be way cheaper and then you can replace everything. Your suspension is really screwed up! Who knows what all is bent? Try car-part.com
FuntanaS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in