Airbag suspension general question. - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
8thCivic.com

Go Back   8th Generation Honda Civic Forum > Honda Civic Technical > Suspension and Brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

SiBurtonGuy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Airbag suspension general question.

Hey 8th! So I've been toying with the idea of getting an airbag suspension setup for the Civic for a while now, but I've got a question that I've had a hard time googling. I figure the good folks here might know.

So, if one airbag were to pop or lose pressure would the whole system not be able to keep pressure? I wasn't sure if there is any sort of system that isolates each airbag or if it was just all one open loop of sorts.

This has been the main thing that's made me nervous about starting to buy parts. Thanks for the help in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 11:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Joe
2poler just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
yes and no! It depends on what management you use. using a 4 valve (2 switch) system for a basic front and back if you blow a line or a bag you will lose all air to that half of the vehicle. on an 8 valve (4+ switch) system each corner is independent. This being said depending on you setup you may be able to limp your car home with a blown bag but not a guaranteed but you will be able to lift the other 3 up to get a jack under it or on a flatbed. I have blown a front and a rear. The front was a seal the gave way after about 5 years and was able to get the car on a flatbed but not drive due to how low I am when aired out (lays sub-frame). The rear I was stupid and driving at 5 psi in an areaI know better and hit a bunch of bumps shifting the bag causing it to rub and blow. With the rear, I was able to make the 20 min drive home just slow. My front bag rebuild only took about an hour total and the rear bag swap was done in less than 30 min.

Nearly all digital systems are independent corners, for manual a setup you would need 4 switches, and finally for an electric setup you would need 8 valves, 4 up and 4 down.

2poler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2017, 11:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Joe
if you use a manual or electric setup to can add a check valve after the fill valve to almost guarantee you keep all the pressure in the line but would have to make sure the dump valve is after the check valve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

SiBurtonGuy just put it into 1st gear on 8thcivic
Really informative! Thanks for taking the time to answer.
SiBurtonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2017, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Joe
Any time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in